Sealeaf Family

Find Bootle friends and family here
Kathy John Moorcroft

johnyb wrote:just joined site,re.garding sealeaf,my wifes maiden name is sealeaf,born in bootle,lived on stanley road when younger,father was a merchant seamen,do not know all details,but would be happy to find out.johnyb
Hiya Johnny, Welcome Aboard to this great `Site` you will meet some very fine, helpfull people on here, Have fun! Although I`m not much help in your quest, Good luck in your searching for `Info` Kindest Regards John
annie

hi johny welcome aboard
rjkellet

hi jonny check out my school photos under the heading ,bedford road school , there was definatly a sealeaf in my class , hope this doesnt sound rude ,but think he was the boy , 1949 ] back row 1st right , dont lose sight of this pic ,if i am wrong somebody may correct me , i am sure they will , he was a dennis the menace ,lol jan
Rob and Jan Kellett,Morrinsville,New Zealand
johnyb

rjkellet wrote:hi jonny check out my school photos under the heading ,bedford road school , there was definatly a sealeaf in my class , hope this doesnt sound rude ,but think he was the boy , 1949 ] back row 1st right , dont lose sight of this pic ,if i am wrong somebody may correct me , i am sure they will , he was a dennis the menace ,lol jan
thanks,jan,show photo to wife,they lived around bedford road so could be,let you know if it is,all the best johnyb
garthur

Eddie, those Lady Gouldfian Finches are beautiful. How long have you been breeding them? I picked up on the site because my dad, Bill Jones, bred canaries for years. I was reading the posting on the Sealeaf's of Thornton Ave. Funnily enough I found a picture of Suzanne (Stan & Jean's daughter) a few days ago! Her brother was Barry.

We thought the world of them. They were brilliant neighbours to mum & dad (No. 13)

Back to the Sealeaf link, though. I have a student called Sealeaf - lives in the Huyton area - but won't be able to find out any more info on that link til September!

Glenys Arthur
chris sealeaf

I have been researching the Sealeaf family, I am married to a Sealeaf.
There is branch of the family in Holywell in North wales. I too have found the marriage certificate of Charles Michael Sealeaf (Sealiff) and Johanna Breen (Brain) the marriage having taken place on 26th February 1862. He is my husband's g-grandfather. My husband's grand father also Charles Michael was born in 1869 and died in the 1950's. I have spoken to a cousin of my husband and she remembers her Aunt Clara (her mother's aunt probably born 1876). Charles Michael Sealeaf (Sjoblad died in 1915). A possible address for the family in 1895 was 63 Bostock Street, Bootle.

Another address around the 1881 census was 25 Lincoln Street, Bootle.

Other children on 1881 census Charles Michael dob 1869, Anthony dob 1871, John dob 1873 (Ireland), Alfred dob 1875, Clara Sophia
dob 1876, Enoch V dob 1880

Other addresses associated with the family are around the Strand Road area. Streets there where named after the states of the USA Florida St., Vermont St., Nevada St., Washington St., Delaware St., etc. These streets were demolished and the present day Strand Shopping Precinct is built on the site.
Last edited by chris sealeaf on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
chrissealeaf
chris sealeaf

sealeaf family
chrissealeaf
maureenbrown

Hi,

I lived in Bootle, and went to Orrell School, Aughton Road, Bootle.
My brother had a friend named Robert Sealeaf, he too had an older brother if my memory serves me right.
They lived over a shop on Hawthorne Road, Bootle.
This was in the 50's
The boys went on to St. George of England School, agin in Bootle.

I hope this is of help to you.

Maureen Brown
Coffeypot
BOBHAMO

sealeafs lived in peter mahon way bootle from the 60s matilda , mother ronny , billy ,roland , joan and pat , might be related , bobhamo
RobH

Hi James,

I have just come across this site whilst searching for information on the Sealeaf family. My grandmother's second husband married a Vincent Sealeaf. Even though I am descended from her first husband, as far as I am concerned Vincent Sealeaf was the person I knew as my grandfather, so I have been researching the family.

I have copied what information I have below:

Descendants of Charles Michael Sealeaf

Generation No. 1

1. CHARLES MICHAEL2 SEALEAF (MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born Abt. 1833 in Kristenestad, Finland, and died Bet. Oct - Dec 1915 in West Derby, Liverpool1,2. He married JOHANNA BRAIN (OR BREEN) 26 Feb 1862 in West Derby3. She was born Abt. 1844 in Ireland, and died Bet. Jan - Mar 1896 in West Derby, Liverpool4.

Notes for CHARLES MICHAEL SEALEAF:
According to the Clements family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, (and other internet postings) he was born in Kristenestad, Finland. His surname was Sjoblad, which he anglicised to Sealeaf. He was a ship's rigger.

In BMD index (Marriages) 1862 his surname is spelt "Sealiff". At the time he was living in Gore Street, Liverpool
In 1866 the family were living at 119 Hopwood Street, Liverpool; in 1868 at 4 Grayson Street, and in 1876 at 34 Paget Street.

In the 1881 census, he was living at 25 Lincoln(?) Street. Occupation: boatman. Place of birth: Finland. (Note: In the 19th Century, Finland was part of Russia. This ties in with the family story that the original Sealeaf came from Russia).
Curiously, living with the family as a lodger was a Russian boatman (Charles Stephenson, age 51).

In the 1891 census, he was living at 46 Milton Street. Occupation: Ships rigger. Unemployed. Place of birth: Sweden. He is described on the census as a Naturalised British Subject.

In the 1901 census, he was living as a boarder at 59 Flint Street, Bootle. He is described as a widower and retired sailor. His youngest son Vincent was living at the same address, also as a boarder.

There is no trace of any Sealeaf (or Sealiff) before his marriage was registered. Presumably it was shortly before this date that the family changed its name for a more English sounding one.

Children of CHARLES SEALEAF and JOHANNA BREEN) are:
i. CLARA3 SEALEAF, b. 1866, Liverpool4; d. Bet. Apr - Jun 1866, Liverpool4.
2. ii. CHARLES MICHAEL SEALEAF, b. 1869, Liverpool; d. Bet. 1950 - 1960.
iii. ANTHONY SEALEAF, b. 1871, Liverpool.
iv. JOHN JOSEPH SEALEAF, b. 1873, Ireland.
v. ALFRED SEALEAF, b. 1875, Liverpool.
3. vi. CLARA SOPHIA SEALEAF, b. Bet. Oct - Dec 1876, Liverpool; d. Sep 1950, Coventry.
vii. VINCENT ENOCH SEALEAF, b. 1880, Liverpool.

Notes for VINCENT ENOCH SEALEAF:
In 1901 he was living at 59 Flint Street, Bootle as a lodger (as was his widowed father). His occupation was given as a soldier

Generation No. 2

2. CHARLES MICHAEL3 SEALEAF (CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born 1869 in Liverpool, and died Bet. 1950 - 1960. He married MARY ELLEN CRANNY Bet. Apr - Jun 1895 in West Derby, Liverpool, daughter of WILLIAM CRANNY and MARY. She was born 1874 in Liverpool.

Notes for CHARLES MICHAEL SEALEAF:
In 1881, as a child of 12, he was living with his parents and siblings at 25 Lincoln(?) Street, Bootle.

In 1891, he was still living with his family and unmarried. Occupation: Sailor, Merchant Service.

By 1901 he was married with 2 children, and living with his wife's parents (William & Mary Cranny) at 8 Nevada Street, Bootle.

Address in 1936 was 2 Newark Street, Walton. Occupation: Ships rigger.

Children of CHARLES SEALEAF and MARY CRANNY are:
i. CHARLES MICHAEL4 SEALEAF5, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1896, West Derby, Liverpool.
ii. WILLIAM JOHN SEALEAF, b. Bet. Oct - Dec 1898, West Derby, Liverpool5.
iii. AGNES MARY SEALEAF, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1903, West Derby, Liverpool5.
iv. JULIA CHRISTINA SEALEAF, b. Bet. Jan - Mar 1906, West Derby, Liverpool5; m. LAURENCE VAN DYKE.

Notes for JULIA CHRISTINA SEALEAF:
Emigrated to USA

v. ALBERT SEALEAF, b. 08 Feb 1909, West Derby, Liverpool; d. Jul 1987; m. JOHANNA OLSEN; b. 04 May 1910, Liverpool; d. Aug 1999, Holywell.
4. vi. VINCENT SEALEAF, b. 08 Feb 1909, West Derby, Liverpool; d. 1973, Delyn, Clwyd.
vii. GEORGE SEALEAF, b. Bet. Jul - Aug 1911, West Derby, Liverpool5.
viii. FRANCIS SEALEAF, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1915, West Derby, Liverpool5.

3. CLARA SOPHIA3 SEALEAF (CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born Bet. Oct - Dec 1876 in Liverpool5, and died Sep 1950 in Coventry6. She married WILLIAM HENRY JONES7 Bet. Apr - Jun 1898 in West Derby, Liverpool7.

Child of CLARA SEALEAF and WILLIAM JONES is:
5. i. JOHANNA WINIFRED MARY4 JONES, b. 1913, Bootle; d. 1997.

Generation No. 3

4. VINCENT4 SEALEAF (CHARLES MICHAEL3, CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born 08 Feb 1909 in West Derby, Liverpool, and died 1973 in Delyn, Clwyd. He married MARGARET ELIZABETH OLSEN 06 Jun 1936, daughter of ISAK OLSEN and ELEANOR GILLILAND. She was born 17 Nov 1903 in Liverpool, and died Jan 1992 in Rhuddlan.

Notes for VINCENT SEALEAF:
Had a twin brother Albert. Descended from Finnish(?) Catholics who emigrated to Britain sometime in the 19th Century. Family anglicised original Russian surname to Sealeaf.

On his marriage certificate in 1936 he was described as a labourer.

Served in Royal Army Medical Corps in World War 2, taking part in D-Day landings. Shortly after D-Day he was blown up whilst running through a barn under shellfire - he was the only survivor of his platoon. He was severely shell shocked.

After the war he worked at Courtaulds rayon factory in Greenfield as a process operator.

Always rode a motor bike, never having a car.

More About VINCENT SEALEAF:
Cause of Death: Cancer

Notes for MARGARET ELIZABETH OLSEN:
Married first to Ernest Evans (father of Lillian and Robina). Met him when she went to work at his parent's farm at Maes Gwylin near Rhuddlan.

At the time of her marriage, her address was 43 Conway Street, Liverpool

After his death in 1928 (?) she married Vincent Sealeaf in 1936. They lived at 43 Cyprus Road (?), Bootle, Liverpool. They had a son also named Vincent born 4 August 1936.

The family home was destroyed in the Blitz in May 1941, and they had to move in with Vincent's twin brother Albert in Holywell, Flintshire. Her National Identity card gives their address as 59 High Street, Holywell in June 1943. In March 1946 the family rented their own home Brentwood, Rhewl, Mostyn where they lived for many years.

Cissie worked as a charlady to the Storey family in Lllanerch-y-Mor for many years.

After the death of her husband she continued living at Brentwood with her son Vincent. When he got married, she went to live with her daughter Lill in Maes Pennant, Mostyn. When Lill died of cancer, she moved to live with her other daughter Ruby.

Towards the end of her life she suffered from senility, and spent her last years in a nursing home at Rhuddlan.

Child of VINCENT SEALEAF and MARGARET OLSEN is:
i. VINCENT ALBERT5 SEALEAF, b. 04 Aug 1936, 43 Cyprus Road, Liverpool; d. 06 Aug 2000, Glan Clwyd Hospital, Denbighshire; m. MAUREEN.

Notes for VINCENT ALBERT SEALEAF:
Did 2 years National Service in the Royal Marines in the 1950's.
Worked most of his life at Mostyn Docks
Did not marry until late in life. Moved to Rhyl after his marriage. Had no children.
Buried in Rhyl Town Cemetery

5. JOHANNA WINIFRED MARY4 JONES (CLARA SOPHIA3 SEALEAF, CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born 1913 in Bootle, and died 1997. She married JOSEPH CHARLES LEE 1936 in Bootle.

Notes for JOHANNA WINIFRED MARY JONES:
All information on this person comes a posting on the internet by her grandson James - not verified.

Child of JOHANNA JONES and JOSEPH LEE is:
i. JOAN MARY5 LEE, b. London.

Endnotes

1. BMD Index [Deaths].
2. Exact date of death according to Clements Family tree. Tallies with BMD Index (deaths)
3. Clements Family Tree, Johanna Breen of County Wexford married Charles Sealeaf in West Derby on 26Feb 1862. The BMD Index (Marriages) for Q1 1862 records that Charles Sealiff married Johanna Brain.
4. BMD Index [Deaths].
5. BMD Index (births).
6. Clements Family Tree, BMD index (deaths) Clara SM Jones 9c 588.
7. BMD Index (marriages), 8b 979.

Hope this is of use

Regards

Rob
emma

margaret willee wrote:James i went to school with a Sealeaf,,, girl,,, she lived on fernhill road . can't remember her first name ... this was Roberts school ... in about 1953.....Sorry not much help.
There was a Barbara Sealeaf in my class at Roberts Secondary 1949-1953 - might be same girl
margaret willee

yes that could be her ..you must have been in the same class as me +have a photo of som e of us on a school trip . will look for it and send it , when I get back from hols in a week . Margaret ......
have a great day .......
liverpool49

James wrote:I am very interested in the Sealeaf family from Bootle. My mother is descended from Michael Charles Sealeaf (ca. 1834-1915) and his wife Johanna Sealeaf (ca. 1845-1896). He was from either Sweden or Norway, but a naturalised British citizen (by at least 1868) and he worked on the boats. Presumably his name was originally Sjoblad. I am yet to dig out the naturalisation papers at the National Archives. Johanna was from Ireland. Their daughter, Clara Sophia Sealeaf (1876-1950) married a William Henry Jones in 1898. Their daughter, Johanna Winifred Mary Jones (1913-1997), who was my grandmother, married Joseph Charles Lee in Bootle in 1936, and their daughter, Joan Mary Lee (who was born in London when the family moved away from Liverpool), is my mother. My mother knew about the Bootle connection and the Swedish/Finnish origins of the family, but knew no more, so I am intrigued to find out more, particularly about how they came to Bootle, and whether or not there are any old photos among your members. My mum has fond memories of her grandmother Clara Sophia Sealeaf. I notice there are still a lot of Sealeaf's centered in and around Liverpool If anyone knows anything about the family, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Hi
I went to St Winnies with Aubrey Sealeaf 1954-1960.
The family, 15 kids in all, lived at the bottom of Bedford Road just up from Stanley Road and Blackledges bakery, right next to the bomb site.
Their dad drove a Pickfords truck and one time with all of the kids hanging off it and their dad drove them up Bedford Road and all of the neighbours were cheering.

Vince
chris sealeaf

Hi Rob

On your post with details about Charles Michael Sealeaf and Mary Ellen Cranny, they had a son Stephen who died in a tragic accident when he was a young man. Ernest was the youngest child born in 1918.
Julia Christine returned to England after the death of Laurence Van Dyke and remarried in 1967. She died in January 1993 and is buried in Ford Cemetary.
It may also be possible that they had more children who might have died in infancy, as was very common in those times.
Francis Sealeaf DoB 25.3.1915 DoD 15.1.1987 was my Father in Law.
Charles,William,Stephen,Agnes,Julia,Albert,Vincent,George,Ernest were all my husband's aunts and uncles.
Hope this information helps you.
Chris
chrissealeaf
njdennis

Hi,
I taught at St George of England in Fernhill Road for 32 years only recently retiring and we taught a number of Sealeafs. Charles is still a family name.
Norm
chris2209

red ron wrote:Hi James, Jan. I knew and went to Balliol Road School with three Sealeaf brothers, later worked with two of them. Richard. Bert, and forget other.
There is someone on this site who lived near one of them in Cinder Lane.
Best wishes. R R
i know he had a cousin named james and he had 4 children peter david joseph and marie and they all still reside in the marsh lane area of bootle
CHRIS..... WADHAM RD, BRASENOSE RD, LAMBETH PUB, KING DICKS, ASH ST
suzanne

My parents Stan and Jean Sealeaf live at Thornton Avenue, Bootle and have done for more than 40 years. Dad is one of five children born to Jake and Elsie Sealeaf of Cedar Street Bootle. Dad's brothers Albert, Thomas and John are deceased. His sister Jenny (now Jenny Hodge) lives in Netherton. My brother Barry and I moved out of Bootle over 20 years ago after graduating from university to the West Midlands and Cheshire, respectively.
Barry

My dad is Stan, and my Mum is Jean Seaeaf (nee Baron), they still live in Thornton Avenue where they have lived for the last 50+ years. I live in Staffordshire not far from Kinver and am a solicitor working for the Crown Prosecution Service, not bad I think for a St George of England lad. I am married to a local girl Julie, and have two sons Thomas (12) and William (10), My sister, Suzanne lives and works as a journalist in Cheshire.
I note the stories about the Sealeaf family that appear on this site. I have always been told that 2 brothers came from Finland in the 19th century, and they were called SHEBLAT. Before they came to Britain they originally resided in County Wexford.
We have had a varied history. Charles Ray, also known as Rattlesnake Charles because of the rattlesnake skin he wore around his hat came to this counrtry with Barnum and Baileys Circus. His claim to fame when he resided here was being one of a group of men who strangled a rampaging elephant to death when it escaped from the circus somewhere in Liverpool. The unfortunate creature is now stuffed and on display in Liverpool County Museum.
I liked the reference to my grandad Jake and my nan Elsie who are no longer with us. My dads brothers John, Tommy and Bert have all since passed away just leaving hs sister alive, Jenny whjo lives in Netherton.
I particularly liked the reference to the pan of stew permanently on the go. This isnt exactly correct. Every time I went to Nans house there was always a pan of ribs on and a pan of some form of soup in an adjacent pan. This seemed to be supervised by nan's brother Davy Ray.
My Dad did work for the Ribble, as did my Mum Jean, and I did for a short while in 1980. Dad did in fact go on to teach and manage a school for training HGV drivers. Mum worked at the GIRO.
To add interest to the name Sealeaf. The book of English surnames has the name as a 11th century English name.
On my own brief research I found a Swedish Vice-Admiral called Sheblat who defeated a Russian fleet in the baltic Sea in the 17th century.
Finally, I also found that there was a Sealeaf family resident in Nottingham - no relation I think.
Please add more to our facinating history.
Best regards Barry.
chris sealeaf

Hi Barry/Suzanne
I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Michael Sealiff to Johanna Brain (Breen) on the 26 February 1862. He was 26 and Johanna 21 and she came from County Wexford, Ireland. We think he was born about 1834 in Kristinestad, now Finland, then Russia.
The marriage took place in St. Patrick's Chapel, Toxteth, Liverpool, according to the Rites of the Roman Catholic Church.
Michael's address is given as 160 Pitt Street and Johanna's as 20 Gore Street both Toxteth Park.
Michael's father is given as Michael Sealiff Marriner and Johanna's as Farmer. Both made their mark on the register.
The spelling of the name has evolved possibley because of an Irish accent and a Russian accent.
They had a number of children Charles Michael (1869), Anthony (1871), John Joseph (1873), Alfred (1875), Clara Sofia (1877), Enoch (1880), Vincent (1882). We cant' be sure that these were the only children there may be others that died.
Our family history is the name was Sjoblad.
Michael and Johanna Sealiff were my husband's great grandparents.
Many branches of Sealeaf's come from these two people, included maybe the family in Nottingham.
Charles Micheal Sealeaf was my husband's grandfather.
There is a Scandinavian Church in Toxteth still today. I have thought about making some enquiries there to see if they have any records of Michael Sjoblad who became Sealiff.
Chris
chrissealeaf
Barry

garthur (AKA Glenys)

Have just seen your posting. I still have fond memories of Uncle Bill and Aunty Elsie. I recall being allowed to go into Uncle Bill's aviary to look at his birds. I also recall having to be especially quiet when the birds were on their eggs.
Some of my lasting memories are going to church on Springwell Road with your sister and her husband in his bubble car. (Sylvia and David)
Happy days.
Barry
SteveNsno

There's a Mrs Sealeaf who lives in Netherton not far from me ( Litchfield Close )

Don't know if she's connected in anyway to your search, just thought i'd mention it.
" You Feed Beefburgers To Swans ! "
margie

chris2209 wrote:
red ron wrote:Hi James, Jan. I knew and went to Balliol Road School with three Sealeaf brothers, later worked with two of them. Richard. Bert, and forget other.
There is someone on this site who lived near one of them in Cinder Lane.
Best wishes. R R
i know he had a cousin named james and he had 4 children peter david joseph and marie and they all still reside in the marsh lane area of bootle
hi james is my grandad he died in 1977, david is my dad and he also had a sister lily she died when i was 11 , did not realise there was so many sealeafs .
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clematised

There wa a shop on Brasenose Road Bootle owned by Mrs Millar in the 1950s/60s and he daughter was married to a Sealeaf and had about six children, I remember Francis (female ) Sealeaf who had lived with the Millars
and had moved to Netherton Marion Square area when it was just being built as My Mother took us to visit them, we were walking over farmlant to get to their home.
Mrs Millar owned the shop selling bread and milk when I was growing up, in Christmas Street in the 50s/60s and her son Edward I think lived with her and his three children who were all friends of ours.

Edna
jrlfcx

hi james
may, or not be of any help, but i went to school with a charlie sealeaf in the 60's, we attended st george of england 1960-1964, and charlie lived in abbott drive bootle, think his dads name was charlie as well, hope this helps
jim
Paranormal.......
things that are impossible to explain, by known natural forces or science
chris sealeaf

Hi Edna
Mrs Miller was my husband's grandmother. Frances is my sister in law.
I remember visiting the empty shop, as it had closed down, in 1965 when I first met my husband.
My husband, Paul, played in Christmas Street when he was a child. He remembers the stables at the very bottom of Christmas Street and the Bent's.
Mrs Miller's children Freddie, Billy and Mary have all passed away.
Are you Edna Williams?
Chris
chrissealeaf
EdMcDonald

jrlfcx wrote:hi james
may, or not be of any help, but i went to school with a charlie sealeaf in the 60's, we attended st george of england 1960-1964, and charlie lived in abbott drive bootle, think his dads name was charlie as well, hope this helps
jim
I also went to school with Charlie Sealeaf.. St Georges. from 1954-1958
willan

Hi James

I have just found this. I used to live in Thornton Avenue in Bootle and there was a Sealeaf family lived there also. I think they lived in about 15 or 17. I was quite close to their daughter Suzanne as a child and as far as I am aware, the mother an father still live there.

Good luck
Anji
Tommy's girl

My dad was Tommy Sealeaf and my mum Sylvia Sealeaf nee Bennett still lives in Dodge (Netherton) my dad and his brothers Bert,Stan and John and my grandad Jake all used to drink in King Dicks.
Born in Bootle Hood St ,live in Litherland

Family names-Sealeaf,Bennett,Ray,Broadhurst.
married name Killeen
Tommy's girl

Charles Ray, also known as Rattlesnake Charles because of the rattlesnake skin he wore around his hat came to this counrtry with Barnum and Baileys Circus. His claim to fame when he resided here was being one of a group of men who strangled a rampaging elephant to death when it escaped from the circus somewhere in Liverpool. The unfortunate creature is now stuffed and on display in Liverpool County Museum.
Charlse Ray was my great-grandfahter,my nans dad he was (so I have been told over the years) half native american, born a twin, around the Minnasota area, and apparently at the age of 10/11 shot his brother dead accidentally and went over the border to Canada and then joined Barnam and Bailyes circus,he travelled with them and his first child was born in Germany,he was a legal alien here and my nan remembered he had to go the police station every so often because of this!.He ended up a buyer for Dewhurst's and his gun,saddle and hat with rattlesnake on it were donated to the museum but sadly along with the elephant were lost in the blitz.Weirdly, my eldest son went to work in Minnasota and now lives in Toronto!! :wink:
Born in Bootle Hood St ,live in Litherland

Family names-Sealeaf,Bennett,Ray,Broadhurst.
married name Killeen
Thommos sister

Tommy's girl...wow, what a story about your family tree..
Amazing.
Will have to re-read,thank you so much

T.S :D
tony00165

jim
........I've been looking to see if anyone mentioned the Sealeaf family from Grainger Ave (Not Abbot Drive)....I lived in 1 grainger Ave and Charlie lived in 11 (I think next to the Powell family).....Charlie was big for his age and was quite a charismatic person....he had an older sister and a younger brother named Robert....I remember his dad not being well for years....I think he had trouble with his breathing......It was Charlie who played me a Ray Charles record in their house one day and he was raving about him....It was the first time I'd heard the name mentioned.....Charlie went to St Georges school and knocked about with Brian Clucas...Brian Clarke...Dickie Bowland and Billy Ashton (Billy J Kramer) All except for Billy lived off Hawthorne Rd by the Ribble Bus sheds.....I last saw Charlie about 7 years ago when he came into our business in Litherland.....he had moved to Skelmersdale and had represented Britain in 'Power Lifting' (He was always a big strong lad) and it was great to see him after all those years.....I hope this information is useful.
EdMcDonald

tony00165 wrote:
jim
........I've been looking to see if anyone mentioned the Sealeaf family from Grainger Ave (Not Abbot Drive)....I lived in 1 grainger Ave and Charlie lived in 11 (I think next to the Powell family).....Charlie was big for his age and was quite a charismatic person....he had an older sister and a younger brother named Robert....I remember his dad not being well for years....I think he had trouble with his breathing......It was Charlie who played me a Ray Charles record in their house one day and he was raving about him....It was the first time I'd heard the name mentioned.....Charlie went to St Georges school and knocked about with Brian Clucas...Brian Clarke...Dickie Bowland and Billy Ashton (Billy J Kramer) All except for Billy lived off Hawthorne Rd by the Ribble Bus sheds.....I last saw Charlie about 7 years ago when he came into our business in Litherland.....he had moved to Skelmersdale and had represented Britain in 'Power Lifting' (He was always a big strong lad) and it was great to see him after all those years.....I hope this information is useful.

I was in the same class as all that lot. 1954 1958 St Georges. Evan Fawcett (Evans world) was also in the same class. Come to think of it Billy Ashton was in a lower class
ledge

chris sealeaf wrote:Hi Rob

On your post with details about Charles Michael Sealeaf and Mary Ellen Cranny, they had a son Stephen who died in a tragic accident when he was a young man. Ernest was the youngest child born in 1918.
Julia Christine returned to England after the death of Laurence Van Dyke and remarried in 1967. She died in January 1993 and is buried in Ford Cemetary.
It may also be possible that they had more children who might have died in infancy, as was very common in those times.
Francis Sealeaf DoB 25.3.1915 DoD 15.1.1987 was my Father in Law.
Charles,William,Stephen,Agnes,Julia,Albert,Vincent,George,Ernest were all my husband's aunts and uncles.
Hope this information helps you.
Chris
Hi Chris,

Julia was my grandmother. Laurence's name was actually spelt Van Dijk - as least that's how my mother (Marea Thelma Edge, always known as Thelma) always spelt it.

Some info I can add: Charles Michael Sealeaf (known as "Da") and Mary Ellen Cranny ("Ma") had 10 children (the previous list missed a couple): Charles 1896, Stephen c1899, William 1901, Agnes 1903, Julia 1906, Albert & Vincent 1909, George 1911, Francis 1915, Ernest 1918.

Julia had two children: Thelma and June. June went to the USA with Laurence & Julia in 1955 and stayed there, married Guy Gable and lives in W Virginia. Thelma stayed in Liverpool, married Harold Edge and still lives in Birkenhead.

I can still remember Ma living with us when I was very young, and I knew Albert and Vincent, Georgie, Frank and Ernie. I've got a photo with most of my great uncles on, must have been taken early 40's that I could let you have a copy of - PM me if you're interested.

Laurence (guess who I was named after!)
Thommos sister

Welcome to the forum Ledge.
Such fantastic information you have shared, thank you!
It's great you have found this post.
Chris will be very happy.
Brilliant!

T.S