St Winefrides infant and junior school

Find Bootle friends and family here
claire-h

I went to St Winefrides infants & juniors from Jan1956 - July 1963. I lived in Balliol Road and went to St winefrides church.
Some names I remember, the Murphy family on Merton Road, The Donaghues, Margaret Munro, Katherine Carr. Is anybody from that era on this site?
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smhel6

hi, i went to winnies infants about 56,my name was helen barnes,and my friend was margery riley,i lived in molyneaux street.
tipster

Claire i went to the winnies as well and lived on Balliol Road what number did you live in
TONY
claire-h

Hi I lived in 93 opposite the baths.
tipster

claire you lived next door but 1 to us we were in 89 the first big house next to the smaller ones
TONY
claire-h

Tony,
I assume then the 'Jones' lived between us. I can't remember you by name but I lived there until 1973. Our surname was Gibbon. You may have known some other members of the family :?:
joey cunny

Hello Clair i rember you from St Winnies infanrs school you had long black hair and if i remember you where a tall girl.
Maureeng

Hi Claire, I lived in number 99,the chapel house,and my friend Wendy Jones lived next door in number 97 with her Mum,are they the Jones's you are referring to?
marie L

claire-h wrote:I went to St Winefrides infants & juniors from Jan1956 - July 1963. I lived in Balliol Road and went to St winefrides church.
Some names I remember, the Murphy family on Merton Road, The Donaghues, Margaret Munro, Katherine Carr. Is anybody from that era on this site?
Hi Claire

I went to school with your sister Pat and you had an older sister Madeline Pat and I were good friends she used to come to our house in Kirk street and I spent a lot of time in yours Hope you are all well
My name at time was marie Bradshaw
marie b j l
john j connell

Hello Marie, a few of your ex neighbours from Bradshaw Walk are on this site, my family the Connell's lived next door to you at no 5 up until your mum left to take over the Griffin. Please if you can find time, PM me and let me know how the rest of the family are getting on, thank you. John Connell.
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joey cunny

Marie are you Joe Bradshaws sister?
marie L

joey cunny wrote:Marie are you Joe Bradshaws sister?
Hi Joe

Yeah fraid so!
marie b j l
marie L

john j connell wrote:Hello Marie, a few of your ex neighbours from Bradshaw Walk are on this site, my family the Connell's lived next door to you at no 5 up until your mum left to take over the Griffin. Please if you can find time, PM me and let me know how the rest of the family are getting on, thank you. John Connell.
Hi John

I do remember your family. Our Joe is ok, Eileen is doing great our Jim passed away many years ago, miss him loads he was a great fella. Last but not least my mum is doing well

Best wishes
marie b j l
donegaldan

claire-h wrote:I went to St Winefrides infants & juniors from Jan1956 - July 1963. I lived in Balliol Road and went to St winefrides church.
hi claire, i went to st winnies infants from about 1958 (i was only little so i can,t remember what year :? )we lived in 5 chapel st before moving to peter mahon way in 1960 and went to st jimmies,
too old to die young
DannyBoy65

Hi Claire,

I stumbled on this website while doing a search on the Merton Arms pub on Coffee House Bridge.
I'm Danny Murphy, one of the 15 Murphys who lived at 65, Merton Rd, opposite St Winefiride's Juniors.

I went to the Infants and the Juniors round the same time as you, as did my brothers, John, Eugene, Paddy and Cormac and my younger sister, Therese.
I remember the teachers, Mrs Moore and Miss Jones at the Infants; and Miss Kilgallon, Mr Murdoch, Mr Fearon and Mr Moss at the Juniors.
We left Merton Rd in 1971 and moved down to London.
I've recently moved back up to Merseyside (Ainsdale).
Many happy memories.

Best Wishes,

Danny
BOBHAMO

Welcome Danny :D :D
a few changes since 1971 :D :D :D
https://whatpub.com/pubs/MER/525/lock-quay-bootle
no 63 ,65, are still there
no wonder your family lived in both big family :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Matt

Sorry cannot be long on my touch pad.(wifi shuts down each day in the Dominican republic for 5 hours)
I used to live opposite you Danny in 66 Merton Road with my lovely granny Annie Wethered and my uncle DR
John Wethered until he got married and moved next door to Blairgowrie School but still on Merton Road.
Matt Wethered.
DannyBoy65

Bob - thanks for the photos. I think the Lock & Quay was the Little Merton. The Merton Arms was right on the canal on Coffee House Bridge.

Matt - good to hear from you. Yes, I do remember there was a doctor and an elderly lady living opposite. We moved to Merton Rd from a 3 bed terrace in Worcester Rd in 1957. It was like heaven! - such a big house and garden,

Danny
BOBHAMO

Danny the pub was called the Railway ,ie Raiway Merton
i spent many years playing darts there now a office for the scrap yard
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
DannyBoy65

Thanks Bob. So, it was the Railway. I remember a big sign near it saying BBC (Bootle Barge Company). We used to cut down there to get to the canal.

Danny
Sonoma

I attended St Winnies Jr Boys up to 1958 then St Mary's in Crosby
I remember Mr Fearon and Mr "Dickie" Moss who played the piano and had greased down black hair. Also Messrs Tom McClair , Jorgenson and Jones.
"Dickie" had a bone abnormality in his wrist which stuck out like a small apple. He would clout us over the head with it which seemed to cause him no pain unlike the recipient
DannyBoy65

Sonoma - you may have been in the same year as my brother Jimmy at St Mary's. His junior school was St Monica's as we lived in that parish till 1957.
I was at at St Winnie's Juniors till 1965, then went to St Mary's. My brothers Paddy, Cormac, Eamon, and Mick also went to St Mary's.
Yes, I remember Mossie in his pinstriped suits. He became head after Mr Fearon died. We were also taught by Miss Bellew,

Danny
Sonoma

Danny

What is your last name ?
I am Brian Smith
I left St Winnie's Jr Boys in 1958 to go to St Mary's
I don't remember Miss Bellew - probably after my time
DannyBoy65

Hi Brian,

Our name is Murphy. Jimmy is 71. He went on to Birmingham Uni to study dentistry. Eamon is 68,

Danny
Sonoma

Danny

I don't remember Murphy's from my time at St Winnies. I remember Tommy WIllis, Matty Short, Terry Conlin, Francis Pike, Alec Wiseman and that is about it
I am 72 so was likely a year ahead of Jimmy
joe39

I had to chuckle on reading these posts, i had only been telling about mossy last week,
How you would cringe when he walked behind you when you were " doing your scales" if you were ( off ) he would give you a crack on the head .
i left in 61 :D :D :D
joe39

Incidentally would anyone have a( B form) 58-61 group photo, i would love to see one again, here s hoping.
joe.
dannylewis

I was in St Winnies about 1953 then the juniours not long after the bulldozers came and demolished our house , then the Monnies , Danny .
alamo1157

Wow, this does bring back memories to me!

Maureen O'Brien and my best mate then and still is Pat Hoare also Josie Mathers. We still communicate with each other I am living in Australia in Redcliffe Qld. We left U.K. in 1964 going to New Zeland and left there in 1969 to come across to Australia and have recently moved from Sydney after being there for 45 years!

Betty Sherlock and her friend Sheila Rodgers lived near Bootle Station opposite The Bootle Town Hall. Ann Connoly, Miss Whitty our Cookery Teacher Miss Mc Ginty, was sewing also The two Miss Nevins, Oh and that awful headmistress sister THERESA from memory we nicknamed her Creeping Jesus as that is exactly what she would do she could catch us out of our desks and loved to use the cane....... and boy did she know how to use it !
Pat still lives in Bedford Road and Josie I am not sure where she actually lives. We keep in touch on Facebook.

I am a great grandmother of 3 and a new set of twins are due in May. All the family is up here and mostly down in Wollongong.

Hard to believe Allen and I have been married 59 years this coming September. The years have flown by.

Thank again great to see and hear from you and others that may read this God Bless you all from us over there! Maureen nee O' Brien now Prescott.