St John and St James - The Website

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
cadfael

I've finally put together the website for the Church. I don't think we'll end up saving it in the slightest, but it gives all the information under the one roof and it serves as a warning to any other churches that are mysteriously 'left to rot'.

http://www.monfaroad.info/

Cad
Dobbsyboy

Cadfael

This is astonishing-thanks very much for creating the site. Lets hope enough people see it and it generates enough interest for either the demolition to be postponed or called off.

Wonderful effort ,again thank you!
what you looking at eh La?
Eddy Lloyd

Excellent site Cad. How sad it is to see such a wonderful building heading for demolishment.
scouser

Brilliant Cad, So sad too see, beautiful stone work. Someone's palm must've been greased. Could you tell me what music that is? mick.
cadfael

Thanks all. It was actually done in a day and I'm quite pleased with the result. When you look at the usable space in the church, it's very sad to see it go to waste.

The building looks to be very structurally sound and in only need of a new roof.
BOBHAMO

what a great pity another monument going , thanks cadfael for the effort in putting it on this site , bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
merseygirl

Thank you Cadfael for this
My parents where married at St,John & St.James dureing the war.
I was Christened there and taught right from wrong there.
My Nan who lived across the road from the church was married there (again) at the young age of 83 and later had her funeral there.
I remember watching weddings from the bedroom window one was Billy Kramers.

I can imagin to heat & the upkeep of the church would be quite a lot today but something should have been done for the history alone.
God does not need buildings but this was built to his glory and to distroy such workmanship seems so very wrong to me. :cry:
cadfael

We've decided to 'go public' and speak to the Echo regarding this church as a last resort, but also backed by the Merseyside Civic Society and Save Britain's Heritage, we've also e-mailed a few from the local council too.

I've just completed a redesign on the site:

www.monfaroad.info

If you are on Facebook then please join the group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 630&ref=mf

Cad.
Ian Coppinger

How sad to see the demise of another magnificent building in Bootle. Though having moved out of Bootle some 50 years ago my heart remains there and I will always be proud to be from that place , a place I love so well. Though not of the Catholic faith the church stood as a wonderful piece of architecture and a place of solace for those who's needs it served. The contempory business society of today shrug their shoulders and utter 'tempis fugit' and so another of our landmarks fall and no doubt another palm is greased
merseygirl

Ian St.John & St.James is Church of England :wink:
Ian Coppinger

Thanks Merseygirl I stand admonished and obviously my memory fails as well but still my comments ring true
42aitch

Ian your memory is not so bad as there is a very fine Catholic Church in Bootle called St James. It is still standing and is in the process of being renovated I beleive.

St James is in Chestnut Grove whereas St John & St James is in Monfa Road.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
merseygirl

I agree with what you said Ian.Ie been gone from Bootle 48 years now & still think of it as "Home" and to see the places I knew now being pulled down makes me very sad.
Roberts Dr,school, Gansbough, Bootle swimming baths and now St,John &St.James :cry:
Pamsy

merseygirl wrote:I agree with what you said Ian.Ie been gone from Bootle 48 years now & still think of it as "Home" and to see the places I knew now being pulled down makes me very sad.
Roberts Dr,school, Gansbough, Bootle swimming baths and now St,John &St.James :cry:
I went to the Girl Guides at that church....wonder if there are any pics out there?
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle