Oriel Road

Find Bootle friends and family here
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:48 pm

I lived in 55 Oriel Road, The Fruit Shop, until 1963. I have three brothers Alan, Paul & Jeff. Does anyone remember other people who lived in Oriel Road during this time? Most people will remember my mum Joyce. She is still working in a shop at 86 years of age.

I remember the Sherlock family, the Wilson Family, the Ayres family, The Hartley Family, the Robinsons (No63), the Healeys (No 57), the Bargins (No 65) and many others.

Does anyone remember Miss Ann who used to live in the Chemist shop (No 53).
Later the Lamb family (Nina & Pat plus 2 nippers) lived above the Chemists before emigrating to South Africa; they now live in Australia. Before living in Oriel Road they lived in Trinity Road.

George Lynes :D
Allan Stoddern
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Roby

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Hello George
I have replied to your PM direct.
I remember all your brothers as I have said. I also remember your Mum very well. She always seemed to be on the go in the shop and never stopped. I have been taking Video and photos of the Bootle area for a few years now, because it is changing so much, particularly the Queens Rd area which under re-development. Last week I did some filming around Oriel Rd, I found that they had completley knocked down Oriel Rd Station. Looks like it is about to be rebuilt. I also remember Tony Flynn who lived in Pembroke Rd, he was a Ticket Collecter at Oriel Rd Station. When I was boy, I used to have a paper round and collected the Echos from Oriel Rd off the train from town, just where the 60 bus terminus used to be. There was a bloke there who dished out the papers to all the paper boys. I'm afraid the area is not as nice as it used to be. The Windham Hotel is still there, but I had a look in last week and walked straight out, the same with the Merton.
Regards Allan S
rjkellet
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Morrinsville,New Zealand

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:49 pm

hi george ,i lived in kings rd until 1964 ,i remmember billys kiosk being built,by millers bridge ,always got my dad his woodys n the daily mail first thing in the morning ,still there in 2004 ,dont know about now ,hilda whip had her hair salon across from the town hall ,you could get god awful perms in there ,there was the veg shop n the shop were you could pay the coal bill n the newsagent ,to get the echo, n scrumptious dolly mixtures n fireworks,then the delicatessan,for wagon wheels ,when you could afford one ,across the road further down there was a celonese family ,think the mothers name was noreen ,they had about 10 kids ,all with bible names ,granny n all the kids went to st marys every sunday ,the husband worked on the railway ,so they lived in one of the railway houses ,jan
Rob and Jan Kellett,Morrinsville,New Zealand
tipster
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: huyton

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:10 am

I lived on the middle floor of a house, were the car park is now, I would love to know what number it was, Upstairs i think was the Champions, and down stairs the Campions, this was about 1965, And I remember Joyces like it was yesterday, Another guy had a shop next to the Windham, He impersonated a footballer, was it Johnny Morrisey
TONY
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Jan, Me mam, Joyce, says that the family from Ceylon/Sri Lanka lived in the second house down from the Bootle Times' offices, on the same side of the road; I don't know the number. After I read your mail I clearly remembered the husband, although not Noreen.

Hilda Whip's 'hair salon' is forever embedded in my memory for the apalling smell leaking from the premises every Friday and Saturday.

The shop where you could pay your coal bill became a knitting/sewing shop owned by the daughter of the Johnson family who lived above/behind it; number 49 I think. They had a boxer dog called Merrylegs!! and the father was from the Liverpool area but the wife was from (Skipton I think) Yorkshire.

The Greengrocer shop in Oriel Road, number 55, was originally owned by the man who owned the Greengrocers shop on the corner of Wadham Road/Queens Road. Speak again soon, George :D
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 pm

tipster wrote:I lived on the middle floor of a house, were the car park is now, I would love to know what number it was, Upstairs i think was the Champions, and down stairs the Campions, this was about 1965, And I remember Joyces like it was yesterday, Another guy had a shop next to the Windham, He impersonated a footballer, was it Johnny Morrisey
Tony, My mum, Joyce, remembers you and your mum. We think you lived in No 67; :D Mrs Whip the hairdresser lived in number 73. Johnny Morrisey did own the General Store next to the Windham at that time. A Mrs Littlefair owned the newsagents shop, Mr Littlefair was the local milkman. 'Miss Anne' and Mr Crossley owned the chemist shop. Willing to be corrected as memory not what it was. George :D
Kathy John Moorcroft
Posts: 3332
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:42 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:21 am

Hiya, I remember the `Town Hall Cafe`, and over the top of this shop right next door to the `Windham` was a ( "Chinese ") menu (" Curried Beef - Mushroom , Rice and Chips, with an extra bowl of Mushrooms ) `3/10d`, (Year 1964) Always a favourite, after a few `Bevies` for the local `Lad`s and Ladies`, I recall Johnny Morrisey, later owning the `Fruit and Veg` shop on the far end of the same block,( perhaps John owned other premises on that block around that time, and later, I`m sure that is correct, Seeing Johnny was a `Go Getter and had his head `Screwed on`) Hall`s ( Coal merchants ) had an office, next to His shop, ( Morrisey`s) for a period of time, Hilda Whipp`s was a few doors further up, towards Trinity Road, Best......John
tipster
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: huyton

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Well Oriel, what a memory,the only family i remember from there were the Woods, I went on to be a alter boy at St Winnies, with a father Firth and a father Murphy. There is another thread going on some were, which talks about Oriel Road train station, and Tony who worked in the ticket office, I remember him handing out the pink echos on a Saturday night, Pass my very best to Joyce, One of the old school which is sadly fading away
TONY
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:39 am

John Moorcroft wrote:Hiya, I remember the `Town Hall Cafe`, and over the top of this shop right next door to the `Windham` was a ( "Chinese ") menu (" Curried Beef - Mushroom , Rice and Chips, with an extra bowl of Mushrooms ) `3/10d`, (Year 1964) Always a favourite, after a few `Bevies` for the local `Lad`s and Ladies`, I recall Johnny Morrisey, later owning the `Fruit and Veg` shop on the far end of the same block,( perhaps John owned other premises on that block around that time, and later, I`m sure that is correct, Seeing Johnny was a `Go Getter and had his head `Screwed on`) Hall`s ( Coal merchants ) had an office, next to His shop, ( Morrisey`s) for a period of time, Hilda Whipp`s was a few doors further up, towards Trinity Road, Best......John
The chinese restaurant was owned by a Mr Ho, he was a really great guy who had a huge party for his children's birthdays when they were young and invited all the kids in the street. The restaurant was a favourite lunchtime haunt of the Bootle CID boss; I think his name was Bill Cottier.
Kathy John Moorcroft
Posts: 3332
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:42 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:43 am

oriel55 wrote:
The chinese restaurant was owned by a Mr Ho, he was a really great guy who had a huge party for his children's birthdays when they were young and invited all the kids in the street. The restaurant was a favourite lunchtime haunt of the Bootle CID boss; I think his name was Bill Cottier.

Hiya George, Yeah, they certainly did a nice `Chinese` meal, It was always a `Toss up` whether we would go to Lee`s on Stanley road, or to `Ho`s`( Either way, terrific value, ) Sometimes,with the `Lads`We`d get a train into town, from Bootle Station, Have a `Few` and get back to the Windham for the `Last Hour`always nicely primed for a `Bite to Eat`I think most of the Folks around that `Neck of the Wood`s` would have had a good memory of those great Meetin`an` Eatin`Places`. Best......John
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:25 pm

:D More names to house numbers:
1963 No 57 Rita Healey and son Micheal. Rita's father lived across the road in one of the houses close to the GPO garage. Rita and Micheal moved to Staines in Middlesex where husband, Martin, worked.
1969 No 57 The Morley family, originally from the Scotland Road area. Mr Morley, wife May, daughter Beryl, sons George, Tommy and Joe. There was another son in New Zealand.
1963 No 59 Mr & Mrs Rogers
1963 No 61 Flats owned by a local lady, Mrs Hetty Hodgkins.
1963 No 63 The Robinson family. Daughter Janet married a Mersey Tunnel Policeman who was tragically killed in a road accident in the tunnel.
1963 No 65 The Bargin family (not sure about the spelling)
1963 No 67 Flats
1963 No 69 Can't remember
1963 No 71 Marjie ?
1963 No 73 Mrs Whip
These are all the houses that were located where the carpark now sits. :D
Last edited by oriel55 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy John Moorcroft
Posts: 3332
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:42 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:18 am

Hiya George, I had a good mate called Harry Lavery, lived in the very first house past the Bootle Times Office, during the 1950`s into the 1960`s, and Another great Mate John Rafferty, lived a few doors past Harry, on the same side, I believe John, later emigrated to Canada, I also recall his Brothers, Cristie, and Gerry Rafferty, also Margaret, Winnie and Maureen, John`s lovely sisters, Winnie was a great friend of me Sister Joan`s. Cheers John
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:56 am

Anyone remember Joe Sinnett? He was the man who ran the paperboys selling and delivering the Liverpool Echo from the side of Oriel Road Railway Station main entrance.

I was one of the paperboys. My round included Oriel Road, St Catherines Road, St Edmunds Road, Trinity Road, Pembroke Road and St Albans Square.
jimmy7165
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:01 am
Location: bootle

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:09 am

tipster wrote:I lived on the middle floor of a house, were the car park is now, I would love to know what number it was, Upstairs i think was the Champions, and down stairs the Campions, this was about 1965, And I remember Joyces like it was yesterday, Another guy had a shop next to the Windham, He impersonated a footballer, was it Johnny Morrisey
hi tony that was no 59 i know cos i lived in there from 1968 - 1972 when we moved to derby rd facing the irish . and it was the middle floor we lived on , isnt that wierd ?
tipster
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: huyton

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:38 pm

alright jimmy, what is your surname, as i had a bloke come in today trying to sell me advertising, and he says he lived opposite Balliol baths, then moved to live opposite the Irish Club, i think his name was mark griffiths, i can let you know for sure tomorrow, but yeah small world TONY
TONY
PETER CRAIG
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: BOOTLE

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:58 pm

.
Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
tipster
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: huyton

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Albert Dick was our lodger in Balliol Road, there is a few threads to do with Balliol Baths, were he is mentioned
TONY
tipster
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: huyton

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:57 am

George just having a mooch before work, i dont know if you are aware, but on friends reunited, you can connect your self to a street, and there are quite a few people on from Oriel Rd, and Balliol Rd TONY
TONY
BootleNY
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Long Island New York
Contact:

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:03 am

If you lived on Oriel rd maybe you remember the little school that used to be there by the railway station. Light colored brick. It was an Elementary school. What do you guys in England call that {I've been here in the US for 41 years can't remember. 5yr olds 6yrs and 7yrs 8yrs went there. Anyway I went to that school and Bedford rd and Balliol Rd. The school was on the same side as the RR station. CHRIS
oriel55
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Romentino, (No), Italia

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:17 pm

BootleNY wrote:If you lived on Oriel rd maybe you remember the little school that used to be there by the railway station. Light colored brick. It was an Elementary school. What do you guys in England call that {I've been here in the US for 41 years can't remember. 5yr olds 6yrs and 7yrs 8yrs went there. Anyway I went to that school and Bedford rd and Balliol Rd. The school was on the same side as the RR station. CHRIS
CHris, When did you go to Balliol Road School? George :D
BootleNY
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Long Island New York
Contact:

Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi George, Sorry been busy. I went to Balliol rd school from 1959 to 1963
Wish I was back! I was the youngest of all the siblings. If you don't know me, maybe you knew my brother John , Sister Joyce or sister Sylvia.
jimmy7165
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:01 am
Location: bootle

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:44 pm

John Moorcroft wrote:Hiya George, I had a good mate called Harry Lavery, lived in the very first house past the Bootle Times Office, during the 1950`s into the 1960`s, and Another great Mate John Rafferty, lived a few doors past Harry, on the same side, I believe John, later emigrated to Canada, I also recall his Brothers, Cristie, and Gerry Rafferty, also Margaret, Winnie and Maureen, John`s lovely sisters, Winnie was a great fri
end of me Sister Joan`s. Cheers John
hi, john billy woods here , mate of vincent sullivan from st johns rd
still living on coffee house bridge. get in touch john if you can , cheers.
marielou
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:45 pm
Location: Spain

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Billy here's a Old Pic of Coffee House Bridge,walked over it many a time
from Bala St. to Canal St, Marielou.

Image
jimmyx3
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: orrell park

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:37 pm

oriel55 wrote:
John Moorcroft wrote:Hiya, I remember the `Town Hall Cafe`, and over the top of this shop right next door to the `Windham` was a ( "Chinese ") menu (" Curried Beef - Mushroom , Rice and Chips, with an extra bowl of Mushrooms ) `3/10d`, (Year 1964) Always a favourite, after a few `Bevies` for the local `Lad`s and Ladies`, I recall Johnny Morrisey, later owning the `Fruit and Veg` shop on the far end of the same block,( perhaps John owned other premises on that block around that time, and later, I`m sure that is correct, Seeing Johnny was a `Go Getter and had his head `Screwed on`) Hall`s ( Coal merchants ) had an office, next to His shop, ( Morrisey`s) for a period of time, Hilda Whipp`s was a few doors further up, towards Trinity Road, Best......John
The chinese restaurant was owned by a Mr Ho, he was a really great guy who had a huge party for his children's birthdays when they were young and invited all the kids in the street. The restaurant was a favourite lunchtime haunt of the Bootle CID boss; I think his name was Bill Cottier.
a few years ealier...
Image
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
jimmyx3
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: orrell park

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:38 pm

[quote="marielou"]Billy here's a Old Pic of Coffee House Bridge,walked over it many a time
from Bala St. to Canal St, Marielou.

great photo marielou, any more...
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
marielou
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:45 pm
Location: Spain

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi Jimmy,got the pic from the following site,

www.mersey-gateway.org


-----------------------------------------

I collect German Men
jimmyx3
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: orrell park

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40 am

[quote="marielou"]Hi Jimmy,got the pic from the following site,

www.mersey-gateway.org
thank you, a wonderfull site, :D
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
jimmyx3
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: orrell park

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:38 pm

a few years ealier...
Image[/quote]
present day
Image
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
ron waters

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:01 pm

JIMMY The bus lane is only for buses is'nt It .
Ron
jimmyx3
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: orrell park

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:33 pm

ron waters wrote:JIMMY The bus lane is only for buses is'nt It .
Ron
yeah ron, had to keep on my toe`s.. :D
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
bboardman
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 am
Location: New Zealand

Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:54 pm

hi george, i see you lived at 55 oriel rd,-im trying to find an old mate[bobby may] who lived basically on the corner of oriel and merton rds[opposite the railway lines].the corner was an actual bomb site and they lived in the first house next to that in oriel rd in the 50s-60s---regards billy b
Michael Williams
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:23 pm
Location: gloucester

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Greetings, I am new to the site, but I can go back even further.. My mothers family, the Mortlands lived in Oriel Road too, I am not sure of the number yet, there was Thomas and Ada, and their children Elsie, Edith, Dorothy and Harry. Thomas was at onetime a greengrocer and later (1939-45 ish) caretaker at St Marys school. After his death the family moved into 16 St Edmunds rd, just up from the Wyndham, in the late 40's.
maisie & alec
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Suffolk

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Hello George,

Anne Sherlock was a school mate of mine and I used to go round to her house a lot. Also I went to school with Miriam Healy and I'm sure my brother Alec still sings and plays guitar in a group with Chris Healy.

Regards
Teresa
tgibbon
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:36 am
Location: Long Island, New York

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:31 am

My mother used to work for Hilda Whip, and Later for Mrs Robinson. She also worked a Billy Ratcliffes corner shop
Born and lived in Balliol Road
Saturday girl
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 am

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 am

Hi George, just discovered your post, who knows if you will read this. I worked for your mum and dad in the fruit shop as a Saturday girl. I remember you coming home on leave and your Alan too. You were all mad blues! I married one too. I have the best memories of your parents and Pedro the dog sitting in the van with your dad going to Edge Lane fruit market. I remember your dad and his pipe. Oriel Road was bustling with life then. I am a Wilson and have four brothers, we lived at 38. Your brother Paul, met his future wife at my brother's wedding in the Windham hotel. I remember all the families you mentioned. Your mum was a grafter and I laughed with her - not surprised she still worked at 86, my one regret is losing touch when I moved away from Bootle.
Post Reply