Help! Can your find my James Curran

Find Bootle friends and family here
42aitch

I Have a James Curran born 1884 son of John Curran and Elizabeth Shacklady. I have him on the 1891 Census at 71 Brookhill Road, Bootle and on the 1881 at 29 Barlow Street Kirkdale. Haven't found him in 1901 but between 1909-1914 he was living at 3 Essex Street, Bootle with wife Jessie. I have assumed after checking marriages that her name was Jessie Hodge and that the marriage was 7th August 1905 in St Luke's Church Walton. I have checked this record in LRO and James's father is John. The address for James in the record was 24 Andrew Street, Walton.
My problem now is that on Ancestry UK there is a Family Tree with Jessie Hodge married to James Curran but his parents are John Curran and Bridget Nolan. This John is born 9.9.1885 in Liverpool. I have found this James on the 1881 Census at 77 Eldon Street, Liverpool but can't find him on any other. How do I find which James Curran married Jessie Hodge? I will also point out that my husband's grandfather was Thomas Curran the brother of the James son of Elizabeth and at the same time as James and Jessie Curran were in Essex Street, Thomas and his wife Mary were also at 13 Essex Street. James and Jessie Hodge also had children baptised at Christ Church in Bootle the same church as Thomas and his other siblings had their children baptised.
Sorry it has been so long winded but thought that the more information I give out the easier for somebody else to help.
Any ideas on this Please :? :( :cry: I have also entered this on the Liverpool Forum I am so frustrated!!!!
Eileen
Jan

Hi Eileen,

Could there be a second marrige for James somewhere along the line?

Do you have the marriage or birth certs for any other siblings?

It is a bit confusing, is it possible that the John born in 1885 is not your family?

You would need to find birth certs of the other kids to get their mother's maiden name.

I have looked in the 1911 directory and Essex Street, Bootle is not listed, but there was one in Toxteth!

Hmmm, I am confused.

Who do you have on the 1881? if James was only born in 1884 he would/should be on the 1891 and 1901, but bear in mind that a lot of the Bootle 1901 census records are missing! I have searched and listed all the streets that I have on a list from a 1900 directory (Bootle street names) I double checked with the 1901 census online (not on the ancestry one) and a lot of them are missing from the 1901 census!

I am also looking for someone in Bootle on 1901, he married in 1903 and I had the marriage cert, but when I looked for the address on the 1901 the street is missing from the census, and I was unable to find that person on the 1901 census.

Jan
42aitch

Hi Jan
Still confused :? But also :oops: It should be James born9.9.1885 who is on the Ancestry tree with parents John and Bridget. I have since found them on the 1891 Census but father John DOB is 1846 not 1866 and both parents were born Ireland so they could have married in Ireland.

If you check with the Liverpool Site you will see that I have the Census records for my James Curran Born 1884
His parents were John and Elizabeth (nee Shacklady) These are definitely my husbands family as his Grandfather Thomas born 1878 is on the census returns at the address on his marriage certificate. Brother Benjamin is the only one of the children I have a birth certificate for.

However how do I find out which of the James Currans was married to Jessie Hodge, both had fathers John? The address on the marriage records in LRO St. Lukes for James is 24 Andrew Street, Walton. The only thing I can think of is to check with the 1905 directory to see who was living there, maybe it was a relative that will link with my Curran family!!!!

It is just the Hodge connection I need to clarify.

Thanks for your input, I have got everyone confused now not just me
Eileen
Jan

:D

Hi Eileen,

Just a thought, what were the occupations of both the John's? If they are similar then that would be difficult.

I don't really know which way to turn with this one, such a toughie!

I did see your posting on the Liverpool site.

Maybe Colette or CaroleW can come up with ideas.

We will get to the bottom of it one way or another.

Cheers........Jan
42aitch

Hi Jan
Are you another one who stays up late on the PC???
My John was a General Labourer in 1881 and 1891 and Bridget's John was what looks like a Splitter in Skin yard in the 1891. Both James were too young as mine was down as 7 years and the other only 5 so were only scholars.
I wish that Marriage certificates also gave mothers names it would help us so much.
Eileen
frank delamere

EILEEN, i need your e,mail addy, to send on information concerning JAMES CURRAN. including both his and jessie hodges wedding cert numbers.p.s i have sent you a private message
best regards
frank
frank delamere

james curran w,derby july aug, sept qtr 1905= w,derby 8b, 814

jessie hodge w, derby july,aug,sept qtr 1905= w,derby 8b 814

elizabeth shacklady birth jan,feb,mar qtr 1858 w, derby

in the 1891 census it says she was born prescott??? i checked from 1857 to 1861
the only elizabeth was from w,derby
frank
J-P

The 1894 Kelly’s Directory lists
James Henry Curran – Mariner - 33 Browning St, Bootle
Edward Curran – Engineer – 204 Commercial Rd, Kirkdale
Daniel Curran – Shopkeeper – 377 Hawthorne Rd, Bootle
Mrs Curran - …………………- 57 Ruskin St, Kirdale

There are quite a few others listed in Everton, and Toxteth Park

Here is the link.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/d.asp

I hope it helps a bit.

Is there an Anthony Curran from Bootle in your family tree.
He would have been born about 1910 – 1914
He is not related to me but was a good friend of my two step brothers.
Dawn1004

Wow".. i know this is an old thread but I'll see how I go.

I have a James Curran in my tree too. Just starting to research him.

My great grandmother was born in Bootle. She had 3 husbands at various times (not at the same time!).

The 3 husbands she had were James Swann, a police officer - she married him 1909

The James Curran that is in my tree was born in 1885 and died in 1918. I just need to find dates of marriage, and if any kids born to that marriage.

She also married a William Euan Owen in 1933. He died in 1939.

My great grandmother's name was Margaret B Hodge.

Wonder if our ancestry lines are entwined in any way?

Think I'd better research James Curran a bit more tonight.

I hope you still check this forum and see my post, as I am quite intrigued.
chris sealeaf

Hi Dawn 1004
My John Curran was my grandfather, through him adopting my father in 1919.
He died in 1955 and is buried in Bootle cemetery.
On this basis I think your John Curran and mine are two different people, sorry.
Regards
Chris
chrissealeaf
Dawn1004

Thank you, one gets very excited when you come across the same names in the same localities!

I'll keep my research going.
42aitch

Hi Dawn

I have read your message about James Curran born 1884 living in Bootle. He is related to my husband and I have his marriage details in 1905 to Jessie Hodge. Jessie married again to William Evan Owens in 1933 and I have details of this marriage at Brougham Terrace Register office. On this marriage Margaret Brown Swan is a witness and I also have her marriage to James Swan in 1905 at St Marys Bootle. So Margaret didn't marry James Curran or William Owens so I think you are a bit mixed up. I would be interested in what details you have so if you want to e-mail me at esimpson2ATtiscali.co.uk (replace AT with @) we could share our information. I tried to PM you but it would not accept it.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
Dawn1004

Whooohooo this is great.

Thanks for that info, and imagine being related in some way.

I'll email you on Sunday, as I don't have all my info at the moment am away from home, and I will check those details, you are probably right and I have goofed up already in the tree, early days for my researching and using Ancestry.

Thank you so much for getting in contact with me.

This website is the best.

Dawn