Ash Street Blitz Memorial

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
IanLiggettRiley

Thanks very much. I did find myself driving down Stanley Road trying to pretend to be a bus some years ago.

My great grandfather's iron coalhole cover from the Ash Street pavement is outside by my front door now (not covering a coal hole though) marked 'Job Jones, Bootle' - I think the Job Jones foundry was near Ash Street.
BOBHAMO

Yes Ian, job jones general smithy 41 ash street
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

From a lady on Facebook on prospices bootle action group page, Camilla

On Saturday 7th May its the 75th anniversary of the co op bombing which claimed the lives of 39 people,including my great uncle George Cecil Davies.There is going to be a small memorial for this at the ash street memorial this Saturday at 11am.This has been kindly organised by Derby Ward councillor Dave Robinson

:wink:
Frank948

My Mum and Dad where going along Stanley Rd on the night of the bombing.They were told to go in the shelter by a warden but they did not go down.Mum and Dad went into a shop doorway and got away with lives.I belive the bodys were taken to Bootle baths and the next night the baths got hit.Thhe filming done last month about the Bootle Blitz is on on Friday 6th May 7 30pm also May 9 th 7 30pm BBC 1.Subject to change.
F A Mullen
lynne99

Do you know how we can see it if we no longer live there??
IanLiggettRiley

marknjen wrote:From a lady on Facebook on prospices bootle action group page, Camilla

On Saturday 7th May its the 75th anniversary of the co op bombing which claimed the lives of 39 people,including my great uncle George Cecil Davies.There is going to be a small memorial for this at the ash street memorial this Saturday at 11am.This has been kindly organised by Derby Ward councillor Dave Robinson

:wink:
I can't find the Facebook link. Can anyone guide me, please, to find it online?. I would like to attend, coming over from Warrington.

Ian
marknjen

Hi, join bootle action group on Facebook! And the info is there on one of the posts! I'm sure prospice will be happy to send a link shortly
Cheers
Mark :)
marknjen

Ian, I think you just turn up at the stated time, 11am Saturday, it's on ash street,bootle,towards Stanley rd end!
Hope this helps
Mark
marknjen

I found this on the tinty web haha, apologies if it's been posted before

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/ ... ootle.html

Mentions quite a few familiar names!

Mark 8)
IanLiggettRiley

marknjen wrote:Ian, I think you just turn up at the stated time, 11am Saturday, it's on ash street,bootle,towards Stanley rd end!
Hope this helps
Mark
Thanks very much. I managed to get in touch with Dave Robinson late on Thursday. I just wanted to get first hand confirmation before travelling. I certainly know where it is - my great grandfather built Pioneer Buildings and the warehouse opposite - spent hours sitting there with my father in the fifties!

Ian
IanLiggettRiley

It was a privilege for me, with my uncle (son) and my cousin (grandson), to be present at the Ash Street Co-op Shelter Memorial this morning to mark the death of my grandfather Arthur Riley and the others who died 7/8 May 1941. Full marks to Councillor Dave Robinson and his colleagues in organising this brief but very dignified commemoration at short notice and full marks also to local representatives (the Mayor and Mayoress of Sefton, Peter Dowd MP and the Leader of Sefton Council) for their attendance. The cup of tean and a sandwich at the Beaky afterwards were very welcome. Thanks to all concerned and fascinating, yet sad, to meet other families with memories so fresh in their minds.

Nearly getting a ticket five minutes before the start for parking on an ancient yellow line at the dead end of Ash Street despite the immediate presence of so many local bigwigs (including the Mayor in full red robes) and despite protestations that I would only be there for twenty minutes and was 'delivering a wreath' anyway show that the Sefton Enforcement Officers operate without fear or favour (and, I may add, with perfect politeness). A lighter moment to proceedings ... and I moved!
BOBHAMO

Glad you attended the commemoration Ian
nice to remember lost ones
traffic wardens :roll: :roll:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

IanLiggettRiley wrote:
marknjen wrote:Ian, I think you just turn up at the stated time, 11am Saturday, it's on ash street,bootle,towards Stanley rd end!
Hope this helps
Mark
Thanks very much. I managed to get in touch with Dave Robinson late on Thursday. I just wanted to get first hand confirmation before travelling. I certainly know where it is - my great grandfather built Pioneer Buildings and the warehouse opposite - spent hours sitting there with my father in the fifties!

Ian
Glad you made it :wink:
WatsonTommy

many years ago i and a lot other protesters tried to stop sefton councel from building a garage on that desecrated land MONEY TALKS they put up 10 foot hoardings to stop us protesters seeing in/ to hide what they were doing they dug down to bury the fuel tanks and they were pulling up bones and taking all the rubble away hence the hoardings they should have put a memorial on the ONE STOP AND GARAGE NOT IN A LITTLE CORNER OF ASH ST or did they do that out of guilt, when people brought it up about the metropole, it had row of shops in the front a theatre and dance hall the air raid shelter was in the cellar me mother told me all about it she lost some friends from audley st there
fatboyjoe90

Ash street Memorial service 07/05/2016.

Cheers Joe.
IanLiggettRiley

Thanks for the photos. Ian
Maidinkent

Hi, Im new and im sorry to join into your thread but i have come across a photo / postcard of 94 High Street . S.J . Liggett The pioneer Stores for high class Groceries and Provisions. The image is of 2 gentleman and a younger lad outside the shop. I wish to confirm that this the same family and im more than happy to attach a picture when i return home as im at work at the moment. Many thanks for your time. Sarah
filsgreen

Welcome to the forum, MaidinKent. :D
IanLiggettRiley

Hello MaidinKent

Samuel John Liggett was my great grandfather (my middle name is Liggett!). Happy to have a look at the photo! Don't recognise the address of High Street in Bootle.

Ian Riley
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanLiggettRiley

Thanks for the directory entry. Gosh, those addresses bring back memories of my father driving round Bootle on foggy Saturday evenings in the 1950s to collect and bank takings with me freezing in the passenger seat as the ten-year old security guard :shock: . What year would that directory be? I guess pre-WW2 looking at the three figure phone numbers. Alex Liggett was Sam's brother and eventually those shops were absorbed into SJ Liggett (but if I remember correctly continued to trade as A Liggett)
BOBHAMO

Ian the first one is 1938 the second 1949
got a few more shops after the war
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanLiggettRiley

Thanks very much.

Ian
IanLiggettRiley

Bootle Heroines: Being the 80th Anniversary of the Bombing of the Co-op Shelter on the night of 7/8th May 1941 I drove over today from Warrington to place a wreath in memory of those killed inside the shelter and my grandfather, Arthur Riley, was was killed immediately outside on Stanley Road. I was absolutely thrilled to find a party of five wonderful ladies working very hard to tidy up the memorial and its surroundings. Although because of Covid there was act of commemoration as there had been on the 75th Anniversary they said they were doing it as it was their responsibility and 'just in case some relatives turned up'. Well, one relative did turn up and was overwhelmed. Thank you, ladies. Thinking tonight of that awful week of Blitz and the agony that Liverpool, Bootle and other areas of Merseyside must have endured.

My grandfather Arthur Riley of SJ Liggett [Grocers] - corner of Ash Street and Stanley Road (facing the memorial) was just outside on Stanley Road collecting or returning a stirrup pump. The Liggett's building (Pioneer Buildings - constructed by my great grandfather Sam Liggett and named after his 'own brand' tea) consisted of shops on Stanley Road and a warehouse to the rear on Ash Street with entrance to his house above the shops.- and is still there although in very different usage

Tillymint65

WatsonTommy wrote: Sat May 07, 2016 9:41 pm many years ago i and a lot other protesters tried to stop sefton councel from building a garage on that desecrated land MONEY TALKS they put up 10 foot hoardings to stop us protesters seeing in/ to hide what they were doing they dug down to bury the fuel tanks and they were pulling up bones and taking all the rubble away hence the hoardings they should have put a memorial on the ONE STOP AND GARAGE NOT IN A LITTLE CORNER OF ASH ST or did they do that out of guilt, when people brought it up about the metropole, it had row of shops in the front a theatre and dance hall the air raid shelter was in the cellar me mother told me all about it she lost some friends from audley st there
I remember my Dad talking to the men who were working on that garage - he was warning them that they would be finding bones, I think he put the wind up some of the younger men although sadly it did nothing to stop it being built.