Reads Drum Works Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
JPS

i no all 3 of em....dont no wer Tessie is ...thk may connelly died few yrs bk...see her son billy every now an thn. he wurks black cabs from the strand....i heard mary is not to well... hope she ok...gd laff is mary....
ppeppa

thank you JPS ..... I wont give up on Teresa .... I`m checking Wigan World website someone might know her wherabouts as she did live in Wigan for a time ........ May Connolly was good fun too (my condolences to Billy if you see him).... did you ever attend any of Mays parties? I know Tommy did ....lol .. even my Mum did ... she and 2 of her sisters gate crashed our night out in the Cuckoo .... ordered a few crates and went back to Mays .. that was a night to remember .. Kevin Barry was there too ............... anyway I saw Mary last week ... trying to encourge her to use internet to keep her mind occupied .... would be of great benefit to her .... thanks again
JPS

weres all the foto,s u tuk round the place, Bob...post em.... :wink:
ppeppa

:D Say "Happy Birthday" to Mary ...

Have a great day .... best wishes xxx :lol:

from ppeppa
rivermersey

Hi all, Here are some more pictures from the loft. This time of Reads Ltd....

The Line 1,2,3 & 4 Loading Bay.

Loading bay staff..Kathy (Bird) O'Shea, Nellie Ross, Scotch Mary and My twin brother Barry Wain Hiding in the Lorry
Image.

Line 4 Paint Ovens..?,?,? & Billy ?.

Retirement Do in the Line 1 Canteen..Kitty Mosser and Foreman Eddy Jones are in there along with a few others..Do you know any of them?

Retirement Do in line 1 Canteen...Billy the guy who retired and Dougie his mate.

Reads Ladies Football Team...?(think it might be Debbie ?),Theresa Dennis,Ruth ?,?, Caz (whose hands are they?) ?

Line 7 has gone, The coil cut machine has been packed away, Demolition is not that far away :(
Last edited by rivermersey on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
ppeppa

:) ... well done river mersey .... pics are great...but memory is failing :roll: .... wish I could remember somebody :? ...think I see a Susan in the back ground :? ...... gotta ask a mate o mine ...get back t ya. :) .... well done boyo :wink: ....your loft must be a treasure chest ...... think I wanna be there :wink: ....lol
JPS

n1 river, remember the one of the oven ..i used to stand beside tht desk at the end , inspector i thk they called us....i no it was bloody hot in the summer...and lovely in the winter....no a few faces ..cant put a name to thm.....anymore, u mite find one of me....hope not...lol
rivermersey

Hi JPS When did you work in reads?
JPS

Hi river, i worked thre round the 66 - 67 mark, same time as ppeppa....the wild yrs.....lol.....tht Reads canteen on thurs nite...cud rite a book on it , but wud get banned....me an arthur fell....some mad women worked ther thn....MAD....lol......gd times thou...
ppeppa

JPS wrote:Hi river, i worked thre round the 66 - 67 mark, same time as ppeppa....the wild yrs.....lol.....tht Reads canteen on thurs nite...cud rite a book on it , but wud get banned....me an arthur fell....some mad women worked ther thn....MAD....lol......gd times thou...
For goodness sake JPS will you write that book ... bin nuthin in the News of the World for so long ... let us enjoy your wild years .. :shock: lol... anyway have you explained to "readers" that the canteen doubled up as the "Social Club" on Thursdays ... lol ... they will think you had "lunch" and "brunch" all at once ... lol... :lol:
ppeppa

[img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54 ... READS3.jpg[/img][/img]

Pauline - Mary - Jackie - Janet
ppeppa

[img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54 ... READS1.jpg[/img]

Dont know most of these .... do you?[/img]
ppeppa

[img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54 ... READS2.jpg[/img]

A face in the window ..is it you??[/img]
ppeppa

[img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54 ... EADS8r.jpg[/img][/img]

inc Arthur Fell. and Teresa Welsh
rivermersey

Peppa can you make them pictures any bigger please? I've not been eating my carrots of late :)
rivermersey

Reads main office "Orrell House" and the offices (The Terrapin) view from inside the factory looking towards Orrell Lane.

dee hogan

Does any one remember my old mate Lily Smith,she worked on the ovens with Georgie Pye.
hogan history
ppeppa

dee hogan wrote:Does any one remember my old mate Lily Smith,she worked on the ovens with Georgie Pye.
Yes! I remember Lily Smith and Geogie Pye both sprayers ... seems like a lifetime ago ... then you should remember May Connolly have you read all the replies? ... Tommy Macnally another sprayer .. how long where you there and when? ... as I said I worked with Geogie Pyes wife in the "Birds Eye" after I left Reads.....
ppeppa

OOPS! Georgie Pye was not a sprayer was he? .... he had something to do with puttin lids on 45 gallon drums ... I remember a hammer in his hand now ...lol ... he rode a motor bike ... yup am gettin there he was a dispatch rider during the war ... yep memory is comin back..lol
dee hogan

your right i worked there around 77/79.
hogan history
phil

hi dee , hows your family reseach going queen :?:
dee hogan

well give up on that.
hogan history
billygooner

hi gang. not wishing to depress anyone but i was sad to hear that arche story passed away last weekend,he spent many years working in the big drum dept ,i think you all would either have known him or off him. regards billy.
rivermersey

Georgie Pye worked as a "Hooper" at the end of line 4 by the spray booths and ovens with Kevin Barrie up until the demise of Reads.
JPS

Did Kevin Barrie work there till it closed. had a few gd nites out with him after i left...then lost contact...any one remember Terry McCabe an Joan...John Close, tony (Beatle) Commack,or Susan worked at other end of oven to us, anyone know were they r now...no Terry moved to Huyton after he married Joan,
ppeppa

JPS - The Liverpool Echo has a forum called "Liverpool ExPats - old pals" ... I have posted a subject called "Kevin Barry" for you ... not sure I have put the right info tho .... you may have more luck locating him there .. as it is more Liverpool than Bootle .... :wink: good luck
ppeppa

just hopin someone might find some more old photos of Reads .. :)
ppeppa

just bumpin it up for the newbies ..... in the event of new pics
rivermersey

Any one else out there with any memories or pictures of Reads?
ppeppa

I have never worked anywhere worse than "Reads" :shock: .. but I have never had as much fun either .. :lol: can anyone else say that ? :roll: ... those that worked in Reads .... or tell us the worse place you ever worked
ppeppa

Just bumpin it up folks in the event any newbies recognise anyone .. ta!
EdMcDonald

I had an aunt "Nellie Smith " that worked there till she died 1980. Only job she ever had. I'm sure it was in the late 40s when she began there.
Bezhealey

Hi all

Ive just stumbled on this web forum and was amazed to find so many people who work at my grandads factory.George Pye always spoke highly of the workers at Reeds and was very upset when it went under due to the greedy bstds taking all the money out including his pension.
He is no longer with us now and i really miss him.

If anyone has anymore stories about my Grandad and his time at Reeds i wud be very interested
Cheers

:o
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billygooner

hi gang, one shift of open top maintImageenance from about 1978.