Reads Drum Works Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ppeppa

Hiya Bez recognise anyone on this pic
[img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54 ... siePye.jpg[/img]

New your grandad well .. .and after I left Reads I went to Birdseye ... and worked with your Gran .. Josie Pye[/img]

You may also find some info at the Liverpool Echo site .. (under ex-pats Birds Eye Kirkby) .. I think thats right

regards
Peppa
Bezhealey

Hi Peppa

I'm made up to find out more about me nan and Grandad and thanks for posting the picture.

Cheers Bez :lol:
ppeppa

:D your very wlecome Bez... your grandad had a great sense of humour... everyone loved him ...... his friend was called Kevin Barry ... have you any pics of him with Kevin?

regards

Peppa
Bezhealey

Hi Peppa

I will ask my mum if she has got any photo's. leave with me and i will get to you
Regards

Bez :wink:
rivermersey

Anyone out there remember little green diesel locomotive that was brought out of retirement during the Lorry drivers strike in the late 70s early 80's ?
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
ppeppa

Lorry drivers strike - which one? ..... are you startin your own business then?
jeand

The guy in the photo is Mike Welsh - I used to be mates with his sister Brenda. I occasionally bump into his other sister in the Strand so will ask where Mike and his wife are living now next time I see her.
Bootle born and bred, ex Bootle Grammar School and Bootle Tech. Still living in Bootle.
ppeppa

Hi! Jeand .. am not sure which photo you are refering to ... but was Mike Welsh any relation to Theresa Welsh?
ppeppa

Hiya folks ..its been awhile since I seen the pics posted here ..just wanted to have a gander ...glad I did .. .. lovely memories will never fade.... who sang `fade away` .. and if you remember .. you gorra sing it ....... :)
glendower

BOBHAMO wrote:welcome ppeppa .great photo , think my mum worked there in the sixtys ,are you a bootle buck ??? , bobhamo
I worked for a short while in Reads in 1964 in the photo is Joe Smith a good footballer standing under Joe is Brian Jackson (deceased) and the girl on the left is Mary O'malley a smashing girl and Marys dad Tommy was a paint sprayer on the 40 gallon drum section hope this helps a little happy days
BOBHAMO

Glendower Joe is still going strong in are fishing club a good nark :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
frank2014

I worked there on and off was in open top
bob. b

I worked in Reads on the maintenance remember the open top keg and drum, and all the spay booths 45 gallon line, oil line. Where are the pictures can not seem to get them up. Anyone got pictures of footy team regards bob
bob. b

Eddie, Les Brian Rimmer Jimmy White the Sparks

Bob Pollock Foreman Albert Fitter O/T John Lightfoot Eddie fitters Labour

Alan Billage Ron Speck George McMahon Ivor Salts Alec Liggett Terry Mac Jack Mol Paul Thomson Brian Caddick Mick Goodwin.

All work in the Maintenance
billygooner

hi bobb, who are you I am billy Gordon worked on maintenance with bob pollek 1968-1980. regards billy.
bob. b

Billy do you remember Brian Rimmer the spark he worked in the open top.
Freddie norris Jimmy James My Manager in football Mick Goodwin
Billy did you ever work in the big workshop at the bottom end by the keg and drum
The bore well at the back of the stores and keg and drum { not many people know but there is a big lake under that area}
Con Walsh Kenny the apprentice
The Bricklayer
Sheet Metal workers who had the donkeys in New Brighton :D :D :D :D little billy Alan Mac
Two Painters
Goerge the Cheif Engineer in the open top

The big fire in the open top ware house

The Lads in the printing factory.

Don Hughes Eric Effors right hand man

regards bob
Last edited by bob. b on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Jay

Wow!!! ..seems like a million years ago ..well .. almost .. who.d a thunk ..people out there still remember Reads Tin Works .. well them of us that are still able to remember anything :P :P .. that is. ... .. ..erm!! .. did someone mention an old pond .. :lol: fond memories .. :roll:
bob. b

A name l remember May Rushton worked in the open top was a boss.

Ron lofthouse personnel :wink: :wink:
smhel6

Just before my son was born
alamo1157

Hi I worked in Reads (TIN) works as we called in those days Ha !

Maureen O'Brien was my maiden name however when I worked there I was married and was Prescott !

It was the winter of 1963 freezing cold waiting for the bus on Stanley Road near Bedford Road.

The few people I do remeber was Winnie ? she had red hair and was always cracking a laugh.

Oh and there was a cleaner called Jack Dwyer he was the spitting image of Harold Steptoe and had that beady eyed look, the girls always had a go at him so funny.

I left there to follow my husband Allen Prescott to New Zealand where we bought a home stayed for 8 years and then in 1972 moved to Australia !

Allen worked on the docks with Frank Lloyd, and Christie Mack also Dick Fernie and if you are reading this it would be great to hear from you. In fact anyone who knew us.

We were in Sydney for 46 years and have recently moved up Queensland to be with our eldest daughter Angela..
The place we now reside in is called Bluewater on the Redcliffe Peninsula about 45 minutes from Brisbane. This was, and is the best move, great people very friendly and 3 minutes walkto the Beach overlooking Morton Bay Island.

So nice to read about the sixties they were and will always be the best days. The Bee Gees came from Redcliffe and there is a Mall in the middle of the Shopping Centre just dedicated to them and have ALL their music playing showing their rise to fame it is calle The Bee Gees Way!!

I hope this web site does keep going make us all so happy to be able to communicate even though we are miles apart.

Maureen and Allen Prescott
Bonesy

Really nice post Maureen and where you live sounds idyllic. Interesting about Bee Gees Way. Thanks for posting.

Keith
bob. b

Well, there's a name Allan Prescott what a gentleman. My boss was George Mac and Alan Billangage :D

Ron Speck
Ron Lofthouse
Colin Walsh
Mick Goodwin
Ivor Salts
Paul Thomson
Brain Caddick
Jimmy James
Freddie Norris
John Lightfoot
Jimmy White
Roy Chew

Got loads more names :D :D :D

Won apprentice of the year with Reads got some pictures in the canteen and have got the trophy

Regards Bobby
Dan

A Brief History of Orrell Park posted on issuu by Gary Oflynn in 2012.
Link is below.
Excellent material. Reads is on pages 62-65.
You'll be missing out if you don't read it all.
I was looking for info on International Harvester in Orrell Park- built in 1923.

https://issuu.com/efc1967/docs/friendsoforrellpark

Regards

Dan
bob. b

Well the last page, the last picture worked with most of them in the open top.
Remember to this day going into the open top, printing works two building, keg and drum lighting up the burners not good for the first time :( :(

Then who came in to show me what to do my great Boss George McMahon ( think l would leave you to light up on your own) happy days for me.

Best appentership anyone could ask for learned so much with them gents in Reads, to this day l have got a lot of respect for all of them.
The skills they had was unbelievable to this day l still pass some of them on to other people.

Happy days working in Reads as an apprentice still got the Reads Apprentice of the year trophy and my endenshares must get them out of the loft.

Bobby
Dan

Reads FC March 1974.

Regards

Dan
Ursula

Reads
Hi to anyone who work in Reads.
My mum Peggy Williams worked there .
From memory she worked there on a couple of occasions doing days finishing about 4.30pm and 5pm until 9pm
She worked in keg & drum and open top?
I think it would have been around 1973/74 and the 1980s
Names I remember her speaking of
Reggie Richards
May Neil's
Jane.. think she lived fazakerly
bob. b

Well l remember your Mam
The other names May Rushton
Reggie was a Boss
Billy is the man on this site
Keg and Drum at the far end open top by canteen next to that printing
I can name most off the people
May was like the godmother in that place and her husband Alan but May new everything.
Alan Pestott Greoge Mc Maron Alan Billanage Ron Scott
Can name loads more
Booby
Ursula

I have a fewof pictures I will post.
One is colour picture and one from a newspaper when fundraising was done.
Another is mums retirement
bob. b

Please post them
Regards Bobby