Linacre Gas Works

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Mack
Site Admin

This is a cool pic. Again courtesy of the Art in Action Archives.

Hula Power - Circa 1970s Young girl playing with her Hula Hoop on Marsh Lane, Bootle. Two towering gasometers looming in the background.

More info...

Linacre Gas Works (on Marsh Lane) was opened in 1867 by the ‘Liverpool United Gas Light Company’.

Coal was transported to the factory on a local railway line and by the Leeds-Liverpool canal (large cranes would lift the coal from the barges!).

Once delivered, it would be heated by a furnace to release gas in special containers called ‘retorts’. The gas was stored in giant ‘gasometers’ (the circular structures).

More Info link below...

https://www.kingsleyandco.org/gasworks

Happy to help as always with this kind of archive stuff...

Mack :wink:
Bernie R

The scale of those things was awesome, Mack!
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Matt

When I first got out of the RN I worked at the gas works and part of my job was to climb those bl___y gasometers twice an 8 hour shift and take temperature readings from the apex of those tallest ones.
Wondered why the engineer that hired me asked if I was afraid of heights ...found out on the second day of work :twisted:
Matt
raymartin01

There's a slight error in that Kingsley website, where it says that Linacre Gasworks wasn't bombed during the war. It certainly was bombed. My late uncle was walking past the gasometers at the time and he was only saved by his proximity to the wall. Had he been on the other side of the road he would almost definitely have been badly injured. As it was, the only damage was to the knees of his trousers when he threw himself to the floor!