St Georges A Football team

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Allen Jones

I am looking for a photo of the footie team taken for, I think, the Bootle Times about 1953/54. If anyone can help you have my gratitude.
Dan

Afternoon Allen

Found this on my hard drive. Think it's been posted before on the JOC thread.

Only labelled as St. George of England.. No year or names.

Plus a photo of a St George's swimming gala from the Bootle Times.

I'm hoping to be able to access the Bootle Times archive at Crosby in the next couple of months.

I'll have a look for your photo then.
Allen Jones

Thanks Dan. Much appreciated.
billy lea

Hello Allen i went to St Georges i left in 1959 so that photo is earlier but did you live in Ainsdale Road i remember my brother Teddy Lea used to hang around with Dougy Newman and a Allen Jones
Allen Jones

Hit the nail on the head there. I lived in Mahon Avenue at the time. Played goalie for the A team. You have a good memory. :D
billy lea

Hello Allen i sailed with Dougy Newmans brother for 6 years in the sixtys he married Maureen Jones i havant seen them for 5 years i think he had a double hip replacement i think Dougy Newman is still alive, are Ted died this year i sailed to all of the New Zealand ports and had some great times there take care iam off for a game of golf regards Billy lea
Allen Jones

Hey Billy good to hear from you. Maureen is my sister. When I last saw Leigh he was crewing on North Sea oil supply ships. My wife (a Kiwi,) still comments on Leighs rubber man show, hilarious. I haven't heard about Leigh for some time now. We are currently in full lockdown now when one guy came back from Aussie with the virus. We are now up to 50+ cases. I might take up knitting :D Take care Billy.
billy lea

Hello Allen yes leigh retired off the rigs he a bit younger than me like i am to you i keep saying ill go and see them both but we live by Churchtown next to Southport and by the time ive played my golf or done are walks iam shattered ill get down there one day. It was on are tv about the covid in New Zealand but its still rampant here and most people have been double vacintated i think we will never get rid of it worldwide just like the flu is,eny way Allen its nice to have emailed you are Ted would have been made up if he had have been alive There is a photo on this sight for a street party in the early 50s in Mahon Ave you will more than likley now them i thought one of them was Trevor Jones but i could be wrong Take care Billy Lea
Allen Jones

Cheers Billy. Yeah, we are in lockdown at present. Find out more today about how long but it doesn't look hopeful. One guy went on holiday to Sydney 3 weeks ago, returned and this is the result. Score is now 71 confirmed cases. Have just received my second jab so am a happy bunny. Thanks for the info on the street party. Must track it down. Stay safe.
billy lea

Hello Allen we have had are double jabs as well but we still wear are mask honestly the people in ths country think they are all safe but some people have died and they have had both jabs this is here to stay were averageing 30.000 cases a day and people walk around as if its normal well Allen ive had my rant for the day ,were off for a Chinese meal now so ill see you later Billy
Allen Jones

Thanks Billy. Send me your e-mail address. Mine is (allen@sabre.net.nz).
billy lea

Ok Allen its billylea123@aol.com i used aol since 1999 never had eny problems, ive also got a google one but use it some times
efc46

football team could be wrong 2nd first lad billy maudsly same row johnny hall????
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Allen Jones

Thanks for that.
fatboyjoe90

The coach at the back top right, was my uncle Eddy Murray.
Cheers Joe.
Allen Jones

Wasn't he our PE teacher???.
fatboyjoe90

Yes he was Allen, i never went to St Georges. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Allen Jones

Thanks for that Joe. I clearly remember our 'Mr Murray'. Really put us through our paces in the gym. For some reason I seem to recall lots of activity on the vaulting horse. Strange eh. Anyway thanks for the info. Allen.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your reply Allen. :wink:
Cheers Joe.