Ford cemetery

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Amy1992

Hi everyone!

Last year I bought one of the cottages in ford cemetery, I am just wondering if anybody knows any history of the cottages or cemetery. I heard that there used to be a nuns convent on the land? Would love to hear any pics/ stories!!!
Thankyou😊
Invicta

Welcome Amy,
No history but a reminiscence.
We used to “scrump” apples from over the Convent wall. The groundsman had a gun that fired salt pellets at “intruders” I can remember the very non convent language he used.
Occasionally we would see Nuns and young girls , always very sullen.
As kids we thought it a scary place but we were just kids.
Regards
Ken
Bonesy

Some info here on this thread.
https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum ... 26722.html
This was a very daunting place.
Standing at the bus stop on Sterrix Lane, as kids we used to throw stones at the bell in the convent tower. It would make the caretaker very angry 😂😂😂

Keith
ALAMO2008

I was in Crosby Library back in February looking at Voters Lists for Bootle early 1970s for Sterrix Lane and surrounding streets.
Saw all the names of the Nuns and Guests there at the Convent plus all the Cemetery Cottages, worth a visit.
Ceorlman

The convent was our playground as kids.... my mates were choirboys and went to the Holy Ghost so sometimes they'd go there to do odd jobs... We also went scrumping in the orchard, as i remember we could get apples and pears. One time three of us snuck into the convent and for a laugh we moved the robes and shoes around which were outside the nuns bedrooms (cells) We imagined the laugh as they tried on different sizes! We also used to hide in one of the crypts from the cemetery's care taker.