Adverts for local companies

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

My Granddad's Younger Brother William Henry Chapman of 12 Violet Rd had just turned aged 20 the week before died of his burns in the Northern Hospital

ALAMO2008

Dan

A load of Java sugar at Tate's.

Dan

George Henry Lee

Dan

Littlewoods Pools Booklet 1967.

Dan

Bootle Times. February 2 1917. Centenary of the founding of Johnson Brothers at its original site in Ranelagh Street.

Dan

August 19 1969 Everton v Manchester United programme.

Amazed to see the Plessey jobs advert on the back page.

Everton won 3-0.

Ball, Morrissey, Royle.

Attendance 53,185.
Shelagh

Sad reading about William Henry Chapman, such a horrible death, and such a young age 😢
Shelagh

Great picture of George Henry Lee, magnificent building, loved that shop, never out of there..mum and self would sometimes go to the little posh tea rooms situated at the very top of the building, couldn’t afford much, just a sandwich or scone, nothing much, but it was our special little treat...happy memories :)
Elaine Goulding

Just loved George Henry Lee. My Mum bought me a lovely leather bag for my birthday. I was 22 years old. I still have that bag, although battered and well worn. It is stored away in a box, I never use it now but cannot bring myself to chuck it out!!!! Shelagh, cannot for the life of me remember a tea shop on the top floor. Did another company take over the building after it closed?
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Dan

Elaine Goulding wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:18 am Just loved George Henry Lee. My Mum bought me a lovely leather bag for my birthday. I was 22 years old. I still have that bag, although battered and well worn. It is stored away in a box, I never use it now but cannot bring myself to chuck it out!!!! Shelagh, cannot for the life of me remember a tea shop on the top floor. Did another company take over the building after it closed?
Loved the Buttery on the 4th or 5th floor, and the brilliant toy department plus the sports department not forgetting the stereo systems

in electrical goods.

The building was taken over by Rapid Hardware in 2010. Went into administration February 2013, reopened as Rapid Discount Outlet March 2013

and finally closed its doors May 2017. Rumour was it was going to be converted to a hotel, but with covid I think that plan will have been shelved for

a few years. Signature Living, which had about 60 hotels, went into administration July/August 2020 owing £113 million.

The city centre is going to be hit hard over the next few months. Huge amount of business revolved around football and stag/hen parties.

Best on offer is a zip wire running from St John's Tower to the William Brown Library.

Can't recall the last time the city had a decent leadership.Always seemed to be in thrall to the demolition merchants, followed up by the

cheap tat merchants.Ring roads, flyovers, pavements in the sky, Cornish fishing village, the tenements. All been and gone.
Elaine Goulding

Wow, Dan your reply just makes me realise just how much has changed. I have not been downtown for many, many years. Even when Mum was alive she always used to ask me to take her to Southport. I still cannot remember a tea place in Lee's, however that is not to say they did not have one, I just cannot remember. You are right though, it was a lovely store and must be missed by many. I just cannot imagine that lovely shop being turned into Rapid Hardware. I read Lewis' closed as well, another good store. Christmastime was lovely, Liverpool used to be so vibrant, I probably would not recognise it now, sad to hear what has happened. I guess most of the big stores have gone, what about British Home Stores, did it survive all these changes?

Dan, many thanks for your reply, even though things appear to be pretty grim in downtown Liverpool, thankfully I have good memories of the great place it used to be.
Elaine

bjones

Elaine, don't be too downhearted, Liverpool shopping centre is still buzzing even in these difficult times.
George Henry Lee's had been part of John Lewis group since the 1940s but continued to trade under it's old name until about 2000.The business didn't close it just moved up the street to the Liverpool One shopping centre when that development opened in 2008. The new building doesn't have the same "special" feeling but it is far busier than the old store. Still "never knowingly undersold" and one of the few shops that still wrap your purchase in tissue paper before bagging it. The old building in now TK Maxx and always busy. Rapid only had the half in Bassnet(?) Street, behind the Church St building.
The British Home Stores company folded 4 or 5 years ago and their Liverpool store on Lord St is now occupied by one of the larger fashion chains, can't remember which one, possibly H&M.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Dan

Elaine

I've been thinking about stores that have gone in the past 20 years.

Binns - used to buy Aramis there in the mid-70's.
Blacklers- stationery department downstairs.
GHL- obv.
Owen Owens- bought a sun bed there. :roll:
BHS
Littlewoods
C&A
Woolworth's
Horne Brothers
Watson Prickard
Greenwoods. In fact, most of the mens' outfitters, you can buy jeans and t-shirts anywhere.

Just about all my favourite record stores. Rushworth's and Beaver Radio amongst too many to mention.

Colliers on London Road- used to love the pneumatic tube system for payment and receipts.
TJ's went into administration a few years ago and returned at about half-size.

The newer shops come and go at fair rate.
The Gap store on the corner of Whitechapel and Lord Street closed, became Forever 21 which closed this year.
Nike no longer has a Liverpool store.

Footfall is still way down. Seems to be less office workers about. I haven't had to queue at M&S self service, in town, since lockdown ended.
Probably about 18 self service tills, been 6 times and , at most, there's been two other people using the tills.Weekdays and weekends.

On-line and home delivery seems to be the way things are going, but that reduces the need for retail outlets.

Southport has been hit harder than Liverpool. It had a lot less to lose.
Dan

Some more pictures of George Henry Lee.

Barber shop- before my time I think

China and glass

Stationery and cards

Relic of the old Bon Marche store in the staircase

Partners entrance

Shelagh

Hi Elaine 😊 yes, GHL such a large building, could well accommodate two restaurants, the main busy restaurant situated on the third floor, accessed by the wide lift from the front part of building.
The ‘posh tea room’ as I called it, and what Dan rightly referred to as the Buttery, was approached from the other part of the building (the bit opposite St John’s Precinct) I remember the Buttery being very high up, probably the 5th floor, reached by a small narrow lift , then up a few steps further (very out the way, wouldn’t know it was there)
The venue was waitress service only, all waiting staff dressed in smart black and white’s.

Afternoon tea, very popular now, not so fashionable back in the seventies, but the exclusive little Buttery provided all that was needed for a posh cuppa and a sandwich, mother loved it, the service was first class, and the staff made sure you had everything required for the full dining experience!

Mum having been a waitress in her past, would appreciate her occasional little treat, so glad she did 😊
Strange how a building can conjure up so many memories!!
Dan

Shelagh wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:27 pm Hi Elaine 😊 yes, GHL such a large building, could well accommodate two restaurants, the main busy restaurant situated on the third floor, accessed by the wide lift from the front part of building.
The ‘posh tea room’ as I called it, and what Dan rightly referred to as the Buttery, was approached from the other part of the building (the bit opposite St John’s Precinct) I remember the Buttery being very high up, probably the 5th floor, reached by a small narrow lift , then up a few steps further (very out the way, wouldn’t know it was there)
The venue was waitress service only, all waiting staff dressed in smart black and white’s.

Afternoon tea, very popular now, not so fashionable back in the seventies, but the exclusive little Buttery provided all that was needed for a posh cuppa and a sandwich, mother loved it, the service was first class, and the staff made sure you had everything required for the full dining experience!

Mum having been a waitress in her past, would appreciate her occasional little treat, so glad she did 😊
Strange how a building can conjure up so many memories!!
And if you felt the urge you could buy a piano. That always made me smile.
Elaine Goulding

Thanks Guy's enjoyed my little tour of Liverpool. So sad all those great shops closed. Another store that comes to mind is Stoniers. Mum used to shop there whenever they had a sale. Another of my favourites was NEMS. I always enjoyed downtown on a Saturday with my pals. Always went into NEMS and asked for a record to be played in those little booths with headphones. The Kardomah was our last port of call before getting the bus home. Fun times :D
Elaine

Dan

It was Roadcraft's Centenary this month. Offices on Strand Road, just below the Rimrose Road lights.

Still like seeing Bootle Lancs on things.

55 tonne Coles Gargantua

45 tonne Coles

90 tonne Krupp

2 30 tonne Groves

Mack
Site Admin

Don't say this often enough Dan... Thank you for all the FAB pics you are posting here on our Bootle Forum :D

Mack :)
Dan

Cheers Mack. It's fun.

No date. Queens' Square fruit market with a Ross's wagon doing a pick up.

Dan

True-Form shoe shop. The signage is familiar, but I can't remember where the shops were.

The company was founded in 1891 by the Sears Brothers of Northamton.

Sister company to Freeman Hardy & Willis.
BOBHAMO

Only one i could find Dan
60s 59/61 lord st
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Advert for lovers of our locally brewed ales. :D

From the 1968 Everton v Tranmere FA Cup programme.

Dan

Some more ads from the Everton Tranmere 1968 programme.

Millets

The Punch & Judy on Lime Street.

Ford advertising vacancies. 8 to 9½ old pennies per hour!!!
In today's money that's about 58 - 69 p per hour, which is £23.20 to £27.60, plus shift allowance, for a 40 hour week.
Don't think I'm a mile out with those calculations.

Always in every Liverpool and Everton programme.

Bonesy

Dan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm From Liverpool Vista, Bootle 2007.

Huge amount of detail in the picture that becomes more apparent on magnification.

Particularly like the big dipper and Blackpool tower on the horizon.
This is great Dan.
Can make out the threepenny bit church in Thornton and the windmill on Moor Lane.

Keith
lydiaairey

Hi Dan,

These photos of Bibbys are amazing - that’s my Grandpa pictured there with Princess Margaret - David Airey. What a fab photo, thankyou so much for posting. He passed away 4 years ago - he used to talk about his time working for Bibbys and his career but I had no idea this photo existed. One for the family album! :D

Lydia
lydiaairey

Dan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm Couple more from J Bibby Edible Oils

Undated. Waterloo Road.

Early 1970s. From Great Howard Street showing a Lever Brothers Associates Ltd vehicle. The demolition of the Barton Street warehouse.

Undated.

1982 Royal Visit.

Princess Margaret accompanied by Bibby Edible Oils MD, David Airey, and behind Kenneth Oxford, Chief Constable of Merseyside.

Hi Dan,

These photos of Bibbys are amazing - that’s my Grandpa pictured there with Princess Margaret - David Airey. What a fab photo, thankyou so much for posting. He passed away 4 years ago - he used to talk about his time working for Bibbys and his career but I had no idea this photo existed. One for the family album!

Lydia
BOBHAMO

Another satified customer Dan :D :D :D
welcome Lydia
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Just having someone named Lydia comment has promoted this forum into the Premiership. Thank you Lydia.

With apologies to all not christened Lydia. :D

Your grandfather was one of those people who always had a smile and a good morning for anyone he met.

Though working at Bibby's also required, at times, the patience of a saint.

One of the cleaners would man the "Bosses' Lift" at the start and end of the day.

One morning Frank, one of the cleaners on lift duty, came in to the lab and said, "I've just told David what's going wrong in the company".

We all fell about laughing. Nowadays it would mean the sack, but yourgrandfather would have just stood in the lift nodding and smiling.

Different times, different men.

You've done it again Bob. I was always incredibly slow doing my homework.
Dan

Santander have put off the £75 million demolition and rebuild of the old Girobank building.

Not sure how many of the staff are working from home, but it looks like not much change until the New Year.
Dan

harry
Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:26 pm

More photos posted by Harry. Logo removed from photos.

These are photos taken from my time working at the TV Department at the English Electric Co on East Lancs Road from around 1950. Just wondering if anyone recognises themselves.

Fifty years later went on site there to sample the transformer oil. The shop floor was the size of three or four fooball fields, length and breadth.
Joseph77

Sometimes I miss the big shopping malls. But the current situation has taught me to use online sites. It's not so familiar to me, but .. it has its own comfort. I enjoy choosing accessories and underwear through online shopping. My wife found a couple of interesting brands for me and I like this. It seems to me that many shopping centers will be forced to close due to low demand.
Dan

Old photo of the Punch Bowl

And one of the Cabbage Inn from the 1950's, when it stood opposite the farmer's fields.

No idea of the people in the photo.

Dan

Some adverts from 1979.

Austin Morris Cars

John Barr Whisky

Golden Virginia