Adverts for local companies

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Dan

1960 Geneva Motors Derby Road

2018 Aldi Bootle queueing for Kevin the Carrot

Regards

Dan
Dan

Bonmarche Church Street

June 1956 Construction of the Tate & Lyle Sugar Silo

Regards

Dan
Shelagh

Enjoying the memories of all the old shopping haunts of Liverpool. Remember being taken to Paddy’s Market as a young child, Dad would take me to Great Homer St..many shops along that road, even had a Woolworths, bought my first swimming hat there :)
Also remember the Chinese sailors looking for bargains in Paddy’s market, they’d buy all sorts of old junk!
Every Saturday, sailors could be seen walking (single file) along Stanley/Scotland Road towards the market.
Shoppers making their way home, carrying rolls of oil cloth, mats, mirrors, anything and everything!
No motor cars - had to be the bus or shanks’s pony :)
Thanks for all the history, Dan!!
Dan

Two pictures.

Posted on pinterest by Richard M of Bootle.

Pinterest by Maria Clarke. Scotty Road 1956.

Regards

Dan
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Brilliant photos Dan, smiling happy faces and not a mobile in sight!!! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Dan

Loretta. when I saw that first picture my immediate reaction was - PROPER BINS!
Used them for wickets, goal posts (who in God's name ever wore a pullover?). target practice- they were so multifunctional.
Do mongrel dogs exist anymore? What happened to the May Queen? Probably gone the same way as The Likely Lads.

Sorry Shelagh. Can only vaguely remember Paddy's Market. My mum was always telling me off for staring at the African sailors. Probably Nigerians off the palm boats,(the Biafran war destroyed most of the plantations), I'd have been about 4 or 5 , but they seemed about 9 feet tall- I'd be craning my neck looking up at them.
I mainly remember going to TJs. Still like going in there and TK Maxx- I love clutter. Think that's why I prefer second hand bookshops to Waterstone's - far too regimented.

Regards

Dan
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I remember how the bin men and (coal men) had to carry them on their backs down the entry to the bottom full of rubbish and cinders from the fire. Todays bin men don't realize how lucky the are, no lifting or carrying!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
filsgreen

To be fair, Loretta, they still have to carry bin bags, which can be pretty disgusting and heavy. Our binmen are great, you should have seen what the guys took away, when we were renovating our house.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Sorry Phil, didn't realize that bin bags were still used, we have trolleys, food bins, and wheelie bins, so a lot cleaner for them. we used to have bin bags a long time ago, the seagulls loved them!! :shock:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Walsh

Dan. Nice posting of '1960 Geneva Motors Derby Road'. It was good to see scooters, mopeds, motorbikes, sidecars and even a bubble car for sale, as affordable go to work or leisure transport. As teenagers, we aspired to either a fast Lambretta (as a mod) or a powerful motorbike (as a rocker) - BSA Rocket Goldstars, Norton Dominator or Triumph Bonnevilles being favoured. I had mates in each category (scooters and motorbikes); we listened to each others music and repaired the engines on both types of 2 wheeler. We were as many catlicks as proddies, as many blues as reds - it didn't matter as long as you could play good street footy against the factory door goal!

The dustbins photo with the kids took me back. I did holiday relief work as a binman; the loads were heavy (partly due to cinders), progress had to be fast and wimps weren't tolerated. I developed an instant respect for burly workmates who did the job each day, with minimal grumbling, in all weather, year on year. The jigger shown is palatial compared to ours, which was narrow, difficult to access and with a step up to each backyard which had the bin in. Walshy.
filsgreen

No probs, Loretta. It's mainly the terraced housing that still use bags, as they have no access to the entries due to the alley gates. Wheelie bins would make the street look ugly being at the front of the house.
Dan

It's Leicester but the idea is still the same.

Also remember Mr. Gorry, our coal man in Netherton, and his leather waist coat that protected his back.
I used to see JM Gorry Transport wagons from Morecambe parked up in Atlantic Road and wondered if it was old Mr Gorry's company.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Regards

Dan
filsgreen

Thanks for posting, Dan. Looks like another landmark will become houses. Won't be long before Bootle is just one big housing estate with shops. :roll:
Dan

Correction Phil.

Betting shops and charity shops. FIFY.

Regards

Dan
Dan

I love the news.
First country to master this technology will destroy the climate of the enemy.
Exactly the same MO as Ming the Merciless.

Harvard's on a roll at the moment.

Regards

Dan
Dan

From the BBC.

From The Echo.

From Express Digest.

Regards

Dan
graham01

dan,good to see the advert for chadburns,my dear dad worked there for years..he loved it there.graham. :D
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
Dan

Cheers Graham. My younger brother served his apprenticeship on the opposite corner of Park Lane at Brabys.

A, not very good picture, of the moon and venus over the Marian Way this morning.

Regards

Dan
Dan

August 28 1975. Gas Explosion at Mersey House.

Regards

Dan
WatsonTommy

and the Tory's closed them all down under thatcher and her gang eddy shah kicked it of with the printers
Dan

Evening Tommy
For me SOGAT was destroyed by its leader. Brenda Dean. She was rewarded by elevation to the Lords as Baroness Dean of Thornton-le-Fylde.
Long read, but a good article below. Never forget the role of Murdoch in all of this. Shah was just a stooge.

Regards

Dan
Dan

2-10 St Johns Road was up for auction a couple of years ago.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Some photos from the Marsh Lane area. Tried not to put any already posted photos.

1960s Opening of Mersey House

1978 Bradshaw Walk

c1906 Welsh Church on Marsh Lane/Cyprus Road

Sister Eugene Marsh Lane School

Regards

Dan
Dan

A few of the 299 designs from the 1960 competition for the Metropolitan Cathedral.

CHR Bailey's Runner Up Design.

Frederick Gibberd

Oscar Niemeyer

Regards

Dan
Bernie R

Pulling this back on topic, I thought I'd found a link to a local company whilst having a cheeky pint at Euston yesterday - spotted this which got me curious.

Sadly I just looked the company up and discovered there's also a Netherton in the West Midlands and that's where Danks are based. I knew there was one in Cumbria but the one in Dudley was new to me.

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Dan

Cheers Bern. I think you hit the post with that one.
There's also a Bootle in Cumbria.
As for Liverpool, it's a minefield for the unwary. See below.

Regards

Dan
Bernie R

I knew of the Liverpool in NSW, Australia - used to always look out for their footy scores in the OZ pools check during the summer whan I was a boy.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Invicta

Doesn’t member Boss Hogg live in Netherton , Cumbria? K
Dan

Cheers Bern
I was born in Gonville Road, at the Southport Road end- forgotten the number.
We moved up to Netherton when I was six months old. A long, hard walk- but we were tough in those days.

I almost posted a picture of the Marsh Lane rail tunnel the other night, then I noticed it was in Leeds. But it was almost identical to the one beside Asda Bootle (I'm trying to stop myself from saying The Asda). And don't talk to me about the Alexandra Dock in Hull.

Anyway, promise not to let down the tyres on your mobility scooter if i see it in the Square.

Looks like Ken's just outed a fifth columnist in our midst.
Congratulations Citizen.
See, I'm becoming more European by the day.

Regards

Dan
Invicta

We were tough Dan. My Grandkids believed I walked from Ford to WB with no shoes along the frozen canal .

I ran by Liverpool Rocks area in St Lucia on a bus tour of the Island it’s a marine reserve, rough beach, swamp then rainforest if I recall, it was a few years ago though. K

ps Dan, fret not, its ALEXANDRA Dock in Hull. K
Dan

Sight seeing map of Liverpool

Regards

Dan
Dan

1959 Freemans County Road Walton

Regards

Dan
Walsh

Dan. Good to see the photo of Freemans store on County Road. My Ma used to take me there each year, 1963 onwards, to get school uniform clothes. She would pay in to the 'cheque man' who called each week, then get a cheque to exchange for goods at the store. Choice was restricted at Freemans - but so were the possibilities according to Bootle Grammar School uniform regulations. Shirts could be white or grey, A navy blue or grey pullover could be worn. Socks were also limited to navy or grey. Pumps had to always be white and clean. Never mind, the school had a first class gym, labs. and science teachers. I still see some mates from that time; our shared trials included testing out oversize pumps, canes and planks of wood on our behinds plus chalk and board dusters on our bonces. My first geography lesson was excellent in pointing out the layout and importance of the 'Liverpool' docks - we realised most docks were in Bootle and highlighting that the 'hinterland' was not just 'the land behind the port' where we lived - but 'the region served by the port' - present port companies please take note! Walshy.
Dan

1959 Rice Lane

c1960 Walton Vale

1987 Secrets

Derby Park

Regards

Dan