Oriel Road NALGO Club

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

Anyone have a Photo of the NALGO Club building next to Oriel Railway station ?

42 years ago today 14th Feb 1976 our Badminton Team at Kirkdale Community Centre was asked to put on a Badminton Display at the New Bootle Stadium off Southport Road on the Saturday afternoon 14th before it opened on the Monday 16th Feb.

Later we all ended up at the Bootle NALGO where our member and Friend Bill Mealey worked behind the bar around Midnight someone had the idea to leave our kit there and jump a Taxi into Town and go the "Cabin" in Wood Street. There that night I met my Wife and my Life changed.

Married the following year in Brecon this June it will be 41 years. Still travelling back to Liverpool every Three weeks 3 hr dive each way. Family Commitments still. Off to Liverpool Library this weekend to trace my Ancestry and get out of shopping.
lynne99

Don't know anything about the Nalgo Club, or the Cabin, but what a lovely story. Congrats to you and your wife. Added My daughter went to Uni in Aber and goes back at least once a year. She was on the BBC bit about ABER is our town.
tommyMc

The Nalgo club was just opposite the Bootle Town hall Oriel Road I think it was formerly Railway property as it was built alongside the old LMS main line junction through to Kirkdale.
steve55

Here's a pic' of the "Cabin", which is well close now, and in the process of re-development, though I can't remember what to?!

jimmyocx3

[quote="ALAMO2008"]Anyone have a Photo of the NALGO Club building next to Oriel Railway station ?

Hi Alamo, not sure if this is it, but it was opposite Bootle town hall, the photo is taken just after WW1, at one time in 1985 a catering firm operated from it, they did my wedding :D
ALAMO2008

Thanks Steve & Jimmy,
Great Photos.
From what I remember that looks like the NALGO Oriel Rd

Cheers
BOBHAMO

the photo offJimmy is balliol road station ,it was last used by W Ratcliffe confectioner
the buildings to the right where a womens conservative club later to be St Johns hall
i am only guessing but it seems the most logical place for the nalgo
as my last dir 1968 does not have any info about the nalgo club
the gpo garage was next to the big houses on oriel road
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
jimmyocx3

Cheers for that Bob,
tgibbon

BOBHAMO wrote:the photo offJimmy is balliol road station ,it was last used by W Ratcliffe confectioner
the buildings to the right where a womens conservative club later to be St Johns hall
i am only guessing but it seems the most logical place for the nalgo
as my last dir 1968 does not have any info about the nalgo club
the gpo garage was next to the big houses on oriel road
bobhamo
I used to know W. Ratcliffe (Bill) well, my mother worked for him in the Cabin
Born and lived in Balliol Road