Photos of Ships that have used the Port of Liverpool Docks.

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...

Re: Photos of Ships that have used the Port of Liverpool Do

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Ernie, thanks for sharing your memories of going away to sea as a boy how did you manage to spend all your wages in one go? :wink: :)

Thanks for your kind comments glad you found them interesting especially the HMS Conway posts. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:16 pm

I remember having just enough money for two dates (different girls) and a solo meal at the 'Willow Pattern' restaurant near Lewis's.

My 'going away to sea' was limited to being moored in the Menaii Straits. :roll:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby willow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi guys, this is my first post! got an e-mail of my brother 2010, my nephew who was in the navy found a site ' The ships list' in it he found an e-mail from a guy called ' B.HAROLD175 ' It read Any information on this ship,or list of survivors, we know she sank on the 9th June 1940 close to Andhoy Island. We have a manual containing poems on the night she sank written by Chris Williams stoker aboard H.M.S. VANDYCK. compiled in a prisoner of war camp.Stalag XB Marlag Sandbostel Germany. My brother and nephew looked into this and found out it was my Dad. We tried to find out where Bharold lived but got no info from @aol. As my dad past away in 1987 the family knew he was a Merchant seaman, but he never talk about the war years or he escaped from 2 prisoner of war camps and got back to Liverpool and rejoined the Merchant navy. His last one he got torpedoed on the Russian Convoy and put in a Polish camp till the end and the Long Walk. we also found out that 6 men from Bootle were aboard H.M.S. VANDYCK when she sank. their names were reported in the Liverpool Express but could not find their names. As for the poem's we knew my dad was a poet because after every trip he went on when he returned and ale throw the window party my uncle Jimmy always said ' He's a Poet and dos'nt Know it'. Would love to know where Bharold lived and who the 'We' are and do they still have the poems so the family could read them.
willow

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Hiya Tony,
I've found the following info below, I hope this might be of help to you. :wink:

http://www.oulton.org/cwa/newsships.nsf ... 6E00559A2E

https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5456.html
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Sorry, Ernie, I had misread your post. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:29 am

MV Carchester, in Birkenhead Docks no date. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 am

Mersey Mammoth on the Mersey, Entering the Langton Dock no date. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 am

PENGALIA Container ship, Passing Bootle Docks with stunning views of the Wirral no date. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 am

Iron Ore unloads at Birkenhead Docks 1964. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 am

LIVERPOOL was built around its port, and, even though the docks have changed beyond recognition over the past generation, the city will always rely on its port for so much that is fundamental to its economic success.

That is why Sefton is securing cash aid for a vital dredging scheme for the Mersey must be welcomed by all who have the region’s best interests at heart.
The world’s shipping lanes are dominated today by an ever-growing number of cargo giants – post-Panamax vessels – that would be unable to visit Liverpool without the massive investment required to improve river access and port facilities.

Peel Ports have pledged to build a new £210m “in the river” terminal to accommodate these titans of the sea – but that was dependent on cash being made available to deepen the river bed by 52ft.

That finance – believed to be around £30m – is now forthcoming, thanks to conditional backing from the Government’s regional growth fund.
We must hope now that no further obstacles stand in the way of Peel’s ambitious scheme. If Liverpool is to compete against other leading ports around the country, then all vessels must be allowed access.

There will be an environmental impact if the nature reserve currently adjoining Seaforth docks is moved elsewhere to facilitate the expansion plans. But also consider how many lorries will be kept off the roads by the switch to giant freighter and rail transport instead. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 am

Paddle Steamer at Liverpool docks 1900s :wink: :) :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:33 am

H.M.S. Intrepid in the Canada Dock Waiting to be broken up 2008. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:59 am

AsianTrust attempting to enter Langton Lock. It looks like a very tight fit! :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Previous

Return to BOOTLE Past & Present Photos, Video - Gallery