Photos of Ships that have used the Port of Liverpool Docks.

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
fatboyjoe90

My pleasure Matt, i hope you get it sorted soon. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The explosion of the SS Malakand. :(
It was the strategic importance of the docks which made Liverpool such an important target for the Luftwaffe. Liverpool was the main port for convoys crossing the Atlantic from the free world.
Throughout the Second World War, the Mersey was full of all kinds of ships, both military and merchant. Vital food supplies came into Britain through Liverpool so if the port could be closed, Britain might starve. As well as bombs, mines were parachuted into the Mersey to disrupt shipping. These, as well as unexploded bombs, caused great disruption long after the bombers had left Merseyside’s skies.
Built in 1919, the SS Malakand cargo liner was part of the Brocklebank shipping line, named after the Malakand area of the Indian sub-continent.

SS Malakand.

On the worst night of the Blitz on Liverpool, 3rd May 1941, SS Malakand, loaded with a thousand tons of munitions, caught fire, blew up and obliterated the Huskisson Dock. It is thought that a drifting barrage balloon landed on the deck and burst into flames.
Pieces of the ship were blasted over two miles away causing even further damage to the Overhead Railway. Half the docks were temporarily put out of action as a result of the destruction caused by the blast. Thousands of dockworkers, troops and volunteers were involved in the clear up. Miraculously, considering the size of the blast, only four people were killed. :(
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

During a dry-docking in Portland, Oregon, in 1991, asbestos was discovered in the DAWN PRINCESS with the result that the vessel was out of service for three months whilst it was removed. In 1992, P&O Cruises stated that the DAWN PRINCESS (ex SYLVANIA) 'no longer fits into the Company's modern fleet', and in 1993 she was withdrawn from service. She was purchased by Happy Days Shipping and on 18th August 1993, she was renamed ALBATROS, on charter to the German tour operator Phoenix Reisen.

An ambitious programme was planned for the ALBATROS which included an annual 100-day world cruise. On 30th May 1995, when the vessel was sixty miles off Yanbu in the Red Sea, a flash fire broke out in the engine room. The blaze was quickly extinguished, but the boilers were shut down as a precaution. The ALBATROS eventually reached Jeddah where her passengers were landed and flown home on chartered flights. The ageing liner was towed to Marseille for repairs which took until 26th July 1995.

As the ALBATROS, the SYLVANIA returned to her
original home port of Liverpool on 13th May 1997.

Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Joe, I thought I’d seen Albatross before. Here she is in Valletta, Malta , last year. Ken
fatboyjoe90

Cheers Ken, I've enlarged your photo i hope you don't mind. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Cheers Joe. Built by Wartsila in Finland , she used to ply the Helsinki - Stockholm route as Royal Viking Sky.
I did that trip many times in my working days and the Viking ships used to berth right next to our HQ in Kanavaranta, Helsinki.
Regards
Ken
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that info, Ken. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The MEDIA embarking passengers at the Princes Landing Stage, Liverpool.
Astern of her is the Anchor Line's CILICIA
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The MEDIA at the Cunard berth in Liverpool's Huskisson Dock
Cheers Joe.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy394I6uSLY

My very first job was as galley boy on this ship. I was six feet tall on leaving school and the bulkheads were 5' 8" so I only lasted week, drew my wage of 12s 6d and came home with a very sore head. :roll:

The second video on this you tube page might also be of interest and is well worth watching.
Invicta

Loved the Panama Canal incident film.
One of the best cruising experiences going through the Canal. K
Matt

Hi Ernie not nitpicking honest but bulkheads are the side or dividers "walls" on a ship, deckheads is what
you kept on banging your head on :) :)
We had the tallest man in submarines when I was on the Orpheus...6' 10" poor guy he had a permanent scar
right on the top of his bonce and they had to alter the design of the sub a little because our bunks were only 6 feet long
so they built him a special bunk but it used to be chained up to the starboard bulkhead in the after torpedo space when not being used.
Matt
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Not nit picking Matt....educational. I am always glad to learn and every day I learn something new,

I am pleased to find I didn't bump my head on the bulkheads after all but also realise why my short time in the MN yielded little to benefit my education .
Matt

Thanks Ernie,somehow I just could not imagine you running head first into the sides(bulkheads) of
the Conway. :D
Matt
fatboyjoe90

Offshore Pirate Radio Caroline. :wink:
North broadcasting from the MV Fredericia located off the coast of Ramsey, Isle of Man. :D
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

England's answer to radio Luxembourg. Thanks for posting, Joe. :D
Invicta

Anyone seen anything like this? Ken
I saw it in the Channel through binos but couldn’t get a pic. It’s currently off Littlehampton in West Sussex.

Matt

Here you are Ken.Not many of its type.

Class and type: Turbine Installation Vessel
Tonnage: 14,857 GT
Length: 130.5 m (428 ft 2 in) overall
Beam: 38 m (124 ft 8 in)
Height: 68.94 m (226 ft 2 in) at 2.89 m (9 ft 6 in) draught, 66.83 metres (219 ft 3 in) at 5 metres (16 ft 5 in) draught.
Draught: 2.89 m (9 ft 6 in) to 5 m (16 ft 5 in)
Propulsion: 4 × ABB AMA4xxLx diesel engines (1,900 kilowatts (2,500 hp) each) powering 4 x Aquamaster US 205/ 3850A Azimuth thrusters (1,500 kilowatts (2,000 hp) each).
3 × ABB AMA400L6L diesel engines powering 3 x Kamewa TT1650 CP bow thrusters (700 kilowatts (940 hp) each).

Speed: 10.5 knots (19.4 km/h)
Capacity: 8,920 tonnes (8,780 long tons) maximum payload, 3,200 square metres (3,800 sq yd) maximum cargo area. 1 x 300 tonnes (300 long tons) crane, 1 x 50 tonnes (49 long tons) crane. 1 x Remote operating vessel.
Complement: 34 crew, plus up to 36 installation personnel
MPI Resolution
TIV MPI Resolution (formerly TIV Mayflower Resolution) is a Turbine Installation Vessel deployed to install turbines at offshore wind farms. It was the first self-elevating Turbine Installation Vessel in the world.[1] She can raise herself on her six legs between 3 metres (10 ft) and 46 metres (151 ft) above the sea.[2]
Matt
Invicta

Thanks Matt.
Biggest Sea Wind Farm in the World off our South Coast so plenty of work for her.
Regards
Ken
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for all your info, photo and comments Phil, Ken and Matt. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Somehow i can't find the name of this one, another senior moment. :oops: Don't panic don't panic I've found my doc's in a wrong folder.

River Mersey Ferry Trip Scenes: The RMS EMPRESS OF ENGLAND moored up at the Liverpool Pier Head Landing Stage in 1965 with the Royal Liver Building behind (Pierhead landing stage = Liverpool landing stage = Princes Landing Stage). The Empress of England was built in 1956-1957 at the shipyards of Armstrong Vickers, Newcastle, England by the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company for the trans-Atlantic run from Liverpool to Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Empress of Britain, Joe. :wink: Ken
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Ken, I've just the found the documents for her. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Loved the Empress boats Joe. My Dad would take me down when they were in. K
fatboyjoe90

Before we moved to Netherton we lived on Irlam Road, the dock road was our playground. If mobile phones were going then we would've had all those wonderful photos of the overhead railway the garters the steam wagons and all the free fruit amongst all the freebies we could put our hands on. :wink: :D :D
Just me reminiscing Ken. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Happy Days Joe, simple pleasures. :wink: Ken
lynne99

I too loved the Empress ships. Being a bit spoilt, and a dad's girl, I used to get taken on board when they were in dock. I thought they were ENORMOUS looking at that photo, they weren't really were they.
Invicta

Large in their day Lynne but not by modern ship sizes. Very elegant though. :D Ken
fatboyjoe90

One for Matt, Submarine sinking in Liverpool bay 1939 with the loss of 80 souls. :(

Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Was that HMS Thetis, Joe? Sank during sea trials. Ken
fatboyjoe90

Yes. it was Ken, here is a link to it.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostal ... st-2729422
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Mountwood Ferry 1963, in pack ice on the Mersey. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
Matt

About the Thetis .Joe. Not one of the extra 50 sightseers on board her had ever had even one second of safety training in case of ANY type of emergency.Also there happened to be a German Navy crew trained in submarine rescue but the R N refused their offer of help because the Thetis was the latest of the T class sub's and WW2 was about to come to a head..A lot of those people could have been saved but she dived with her torpedo bow cap doors open :twisted: and not one the 5 watertight compartment doors closed completely disregarding all safety regulations.
Matt
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your reply Matt, it was very informative. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Empress of Canada at Liverpool, her final visit, 1971. :wink:

Cheers Joe.