Dowden Bootle Photographs

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Le Ballister

A dear friend of mine who is 100 years old is trying to sell these two old photographs both with signatures of Dowden Bootle. There is a plaque on each of the photos naming those in the photograph, one being J. B. Gatenby editor of the "Bootle Times". In that same photo it appears to be city, legal and university administrators. In the other photo it appears to be the mayor, judicial councillors, Parliament member, medical officers and judges.

Below are two the photographs and myself standing with them to show the size and the back of one of the photos. Also, I have taken three photos of the plaque and roughly merged them together so you can see who is named.

The photographs are located in Beverly Hills, California. I would appreciate any historical information you can send. Also, if there was interest in its historical significance, perhaps this is something that would be worthy of a local Bootle museum. I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you, Julian

filsgreen

Hello Julian and welcome to the forum. Both photos are located outside Bootle town hall. The picture is of the town mayor, councillors and local dignitaries, most of them now have Bootle roads named after them.

Bootle was at that time a county borough of Lancashire, so I do not think there would be any city of Liverpool dignitaries involved. Obviously, "Dowdens" are the photographers and the Bootle Times was a local newspaper. Here is a contemporary picture of the Town hall and council offices.

Has your friend any connections with Bootle, if so what is their name? Our brilliant geneoligists may be able to help you further. Good luck with the sale; I'm sure other forum members will be able to help you. :D
BOBHAMO

Welcome Julian :D :D
Harry Dowden was a bootle photographer
216 stanley road bootle corner of park street
as Phil has posted the town hall and buidings are still there
with the size of the photos they must have been commisioned
THe Mayour is William Clemmy 1911
and William Jones Klondike bill is next but one
Harry Pennington is the mayour 1918
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Le Ballister

Thank you Phil / filsgreen and Bob / BOBHAMO for the additional information on these photos! We do not have any connections with Bootle except through this forum. If you have any contacts with other geneoligists, I would appreciate you pointing them to this post. Also, are you aware if there is a museum, foundation, or club that potentially would be interested in acquiring these?

Thank you again and cheers! Julian
filsgreen

You may want to contact Sefton Council, who are responsible for the borough of Bootle, to see if they are interested in acquiring the photographs. Here is the contact page on their website.

https://sefton.gov.uk/2088
BOBHAMO

Julian its a pity that Bootle heritage artifacts are low on the council
agenda there was a museum in the town hall buildings
but sadley after Bootle , litherland, crosby , which also had museums
came under one council Sefton most of the items where moved to storage or southport
the current money troubles with goverment cutbacks
mean there are more important issues

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Le Ballister

Thank you both for the details! I will contact Sefton Council and see if there is any interest.

I appreciate your advice and time on this!

Cheers, Julian
HvonBlumenthal

Hello,

It looks as if in the older photo, there is actually a small note at the bottom saying who everyone is. Could you send us a close-up or transcription? I can confirm that the man standing at far right with the enormous white walrus moustache is my great-grandfather, Peter Ascroft 1847-1917 (Mayor of Bootle 1900).

If anyone want to write to me by email, its hceavonblumenthal@gmail.com

Kind regards

Henry von Blumenthal
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
HvonBlumenthal

Thanks Bobhamo. I'd be interested if you could get a close-up of the whole name list, there seem to be several legendary figures there.
HvonBlumenthal

Looking at the relative ages of the people in the picture, I'm wondering if the older photo is in fact from the 1902 Mayoralty of Clemmey, rather than 1912. Klondike Bill was mayor in 1886, this picture can't have been taken 26 years later. And IA Mack was mayor in 1895; he still looks quite young in this picture, so surely this cannot have been 17 years later.
Dan

Harry Pennington was Mayor of Bootle in 1918/19.

The picture also shows Sir Thomas Royden who was returned as MP for Bootle in the December 1918 general election.

The picture below is of the 1918/19 Bootle Council.

Edit of the above portrait.

William Henry Clemmey was Mayor of Bootle in 1902 and 1912.

Dr William Daley (back row left) died, as Bootle Medical Officer of Health, in May 1911.

His position was filled by Dr W Allen Daley on June 5 1911.

H.(Harry Jr) Pennington (4th row, 3rd from left) is cited as Agent for Lord Derby, but by 1912 he was a Councillor.

Dr WN Barlow, Bootle's Medical Officer of Health, presented his 4th Medical Report to the council in 1904 (below).

These findings confirm the picture below was taken during William Clemmey's first term as Mayor of Bootle in 1902.

Edit of the above portrait