PRINCESS CINEMA

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Frank948

The demolition men have started today Sunday to take it apart Brick by Brick.Another piece of History gone.If you are travelling down Brewster St towards town is down to single lane lots of hold ups.
F A Mullen
Marie777

Sad to see that. Spent a good few hours in there.
All the cowboy films on Saturday afternoon, fights breaking out, if you cheered the Indians.
The boys always brought their horses because at the end of the show, we would come out and the lads would smack their bums and run all the way home.
Monday and Wednesday they changed the film, they were old even then.
Then we were all grown up and went in the balcony, the rest is history.
Just realized what a big part that played in my teenage years.
The figure S waiting to go in, seeing all the neighbours as the crowd began to move.
Better leave it there getting that nostalgic feeling again.

Marie.
mckenna

Hi Marie I also remember the Princess many a Saturday afternoon there, also my late wife when we courting, happy days
its funny my sister in law never mention it to me she only live along the road from there, GEORGE p,s hope you are keeping well NEL me she has spoke to you on the phone.
g mckenna
Marie777

Hi George, nice to hear from you. Yes, Nel and I were chasing each others tails, until we eventually
caught up. Hope you are doing well George, it's news like this, that makes us feel ancient eh. Did you ever think we would hear that the Princess would be pulled down, like a load of old bricks. We were there at the right time, we enjoyed it all, they can't knock down the memories.

Stay well George. God Bless and Thank You Bootle for the happy times.

Marie.
nicolas

Former Princess cinema, Selwyn Street/Brewster Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool 4.

Opened 1931 with 1,418 seats, all on one level.
Architect: G Stanley Lewis.
Taken over by Essoldo in 1958.
Closed 1966 for bingo.
A rare example of a cinema having two showfronts.
It's now disused and awaiting demolition.

Demolished 24 July 2016.
Yes, it only took one day to pull almost the whole lot down -
Frank948

Its nice reading of other people must have in the Q on a Saturday afternoon to watch the Cowboy films.Zoro, Tarzan,and lots of other flicks.Comming out and running up Selwyn st with Macs around your neck.and slaping your backside .I think it was tanner to get in.Remember the tubs of Icecream and the wooden spoon.O happy days. :D
F A Mullen
filsgreen

Little bit of trivia. I worked for Seaforth Taxis in the early eighties and I would pick up Mrs Coyle from 357
Walton Lane and take her to the Prinny bingo, more often than not I'd also take her home. Now I can here you all saying"well what's so interesting about that?"

Well, Mrs Coyle was the mother of Peter Coyle, who was the lead singer with the Lotus Eaters. They had a hit record in 1983 called The First Picture of You. They were one hit wonders, but I always remember Mrs Coyle talking about her son every time she got in the car. She was so proud of her lad.
Mack
Site Admin

Loved the Lotus Eaters "The First Picture of you"... one of my all time favourite records :) :) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEE-Hl80fFk

Mack :)
maureen howell

Do you remember on a Sunday they always showed a Bowery Boys picture which we kids loved but my mother (a James Mason fan) hated.........needless to say we never went to see the Bowery Boys.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell