Liverpool waterfront 1915
By this time, only 7% of ships coming into Liverpool were sailing vessels, and the development of steamships soon meant the Albert Dock, with its narrow entrances, could not handle the pressures of 20th-century shipping activity.
Several more buildings were added to the Albert Dock after its opening in 1846, including a house for the pier-master that still stands today. The house was one of four built on Albert Parade but was the only one left standing following heavy bombings during WWII. The Piermaster’s role was to ensure the safe passage of ships leaving and entering the dock during high tide.
The Liver Building, which opened in 1911, was the tallest buildings in Europe until 1932 and the tallest in Great Britain until 1961. Sitting amongst the Three Graces, the Liver Building is by far one of the most recognisable buildings along Liverpool’s waterfront.