Regent Road showing Union Cold Storage Co, 1978

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your comments John, i was brought up on the same tales of the Mammoth, i remember the other floating cranes as well John. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
sausage dog

fatboyjoe90 wrote:The Mammoth loading the Flying Scotsman as it headed for America 1969.
I can remember few of us went to see this , the mammoth was something we grew up with , we always wondered where it was when it was missing from the skyline
Mack
Site Admin

When I lived in Croxteth Road when I was a kid in the 1970's the sound of the horn from Johnsons Dyeworks sounded at 8am waking everyone locally announcing that it is time to now get out of bed.

Arrrgh!!!

Looking down the street hovering above the railway bridge crossing Knowsley Road was the Mammoth appearing on the skyline.

I hope this is the same crane, it's the one I remember.

This thing was huge.

Great memories :)

Mack
john j connell

sausage dog wrote:
fatboyjoe90 wrote:The Mammoth loading the Flying Scotsman as it headed for America 1969.
I can remember few of us went to see this , the mammoth was something we grew up with , we always wondered where it was when it was missing from the skyline
The black car in the photograph appears to be one of the Ford Zephyrs Bootle Constabulary had at the time as part of the fleet of police vehicles, (along with the dreaded Jeep) JJC.
billygooner

hi gang, I was involved in some repairs on the crane in lards yard back in the early 1960s when I was a lot younger. regards billy.
fatboyjoe90

Very observant of you John, :D :shock: :roll:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your memories Billy. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The Bascule Bridge, in the 1920s.The three large chimneys in the background are of the Clarence Dock Power Station were a familiar local landmark, known as the Three Sisters until the power station was demolished in 1994. :wink: :)

The Bascule Bridge, as it is today. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Great pics Joe. Look at that load the horses are pulling. Some cotton bales but the other stuff looks like pulp which is heavy. Ken
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your comments Ken, as you know those photos aren't mine, The horses and carts were the makings of Liverpool.

Liverpool Carters
For more than 250 years horses were used to move goods to and from Liverpool docks and businesses. At their peak, more than 20,000 horses worked on the streets of Liverpool, more than in any other city outside London. During the Second World War, the Liverpool Carter's and their horses maintained the vital link between the docks and the city, keeping food and raw materials moving during the most difficult of times.

Liverpool’s carters and their horses were famous for moving heavier loads than was common elsewhere, yet the men also had a good reputation for the treatment of their animals. The city’s transport system was reliant on horses into the twentieth century, and carters could wield considerable influence in labour disputes as a result.

A number of factors made Liverpool an unusual place for short-distance transport and particularly suited to heavy carting. There was no direct railway connection to most of the dock estate, so goods had to be carted out of the docks to warehouses or to railway goods stations, which were usually just inland of the Dock Road. In addition, Liverpool City Council and the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board both invested heavily in granite setts for road surfacing, which, combined with special horse-shoes, gave horses a powerful grip.

Carters also worked the market areas of Liverpool were fruit and vegetables were sold in quantity, areas such as Queen Square in the city centre. By 1904, Queens square” with exception of the Royal Court Theatre, and half dozen hotels was devoted to the wholesale disposal of fruit and vegetables.

Not only were there pyramids of strawberry and cherry filled boxes, towers of tomatoes, and castles of cabbages and cauliflowers, but the centre of the square was occupied by an ever-varying body of carters. The carters transported the goods from the docks and to the fruit exchange in Victoria Street and to St Martins (Paddies) Market on Cazneau Street.
As well as working within the city the carters also travelled distances to places outside of the city such as Ormskirk, Rufford, Preston and Manchester to collect goods to be returned to the docks at Liverpool.

This photograph shows a Southworth horse and cart loaded with seed potatoes ready for the market at either Preston or Liverpool.

This looks like Bankhall Bridge again.Photograph Stephen Shakeshaft

Queens Square
Cheers Joe.
lynne99

Joe Thanks so much. A very interesting post. Some of my ancestors were carters and this helps bring their lives into a fuller picture. Thanks again. Lynne
filsgreen

Great post, Joe. I've often wondered how the horses got to grips with the cobbled roads.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your comments Lynne and Phil. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Melampus in Huskisson Dock Liverpool during the 1970's :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Love the old ship pictures. Those classic freighters had a good look, much nicer than the
Container ships we see today.
Not sure on that funnel was it Ocean Line?
Thanks for showing Joe.
Ken :D
fatboyjoe90

Ken, this is what i found out about the Malampus. :wink:

MELAMPUS (2) was built in 1960 by Vicker Armstrong (Shipbuilders) Ltd at Newcastle with a tonnage of 8509grt, a length of 494ft 10in, a beam of 65ft 5in and a service speed of 16.5 knots. Sister of the Menelaus she was launch on 15th December 1959 and completed for the Ocean Steam Ship Co. in the following June. In June 1967 she became trapped, together with the Agapenor, in the Great Bitter Lake when the Suez Canal was blocked at both ends during the ‘Six Day War’ between Israel and Egypt. The trapped ships were abandoned to the Liverpool and London War Risks Association who eventually sold them to the Grecomar.

Shipping Agency Ltd. When the canal was cleared the Melampus left on 20th May 1975 under tow and bound for Port Said, Dhekelia, Cyprus and Trieste where, after an overhaul, she was sold to the Greek Leventakis Group for operation by the Korissianev Shipping Co. S.A. and renamed Annoula II. After a further seven years trading she arrived at Gadani Beach, Karachi in November 1982 and after remaining at anchor for some time was broken up during 1983. (Photo: Fred Parkinson Collection)
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Thanks Paul, very interesting. :D Ken
Bonesy

fatboyjoe90 wrote:The Bascule Bridge, in the 1920s.The three large chimneys in the background are of the Clarence Dock Power Station were a familiar local landmark, known as the Three Sisters until the power station was demolished in 1994. :wink: :)

The Bascule Bridge, as it is today. :wink: :)
Ken the Titanic Hotel is just out of shot on the left just before the bridge

Keith
Invicta

Cheers Cus. K
Bonesy

Keith
filsgreen

Is that the tobacco warehouse, Keith? Is it going to be a hotel?
Bonesy

Apartments Phil, think it's only about a third done. Seriously go to the Titanic even if only for a drink and sit out on the terrace, needs to be a dry day although it is undercover, you get views across the dock to the warehouse.

Keith
fatboyjoe90

The Clarence Dock power station. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Manweb Power station, Clarence Dock and the Three Sisters. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Thanks, Keith; I'll have to save my pennies and give it a visit :D You don't hear Manweb much these days, Joe thanks for posting. Do you remember their shop in the Strand? They also had an office at the corner of Hawthorne and Aintree Road.
Bonesy

[quote="fatboyjoe90"]Thanks for your comments Ken, as you know those photos aren't mine, The horses and carts were the makings of Liverpool.

Liverpool Carters
For more than 250 years horses were used to move goods to and from Liverpool.

Paul, my grandad Jones was carter , I have a great photo of him with his horse i will try and find it today.

Keith
Invicta

My Grandad Campbell too Keith. He worked at sometime for Thos Wilson. :wink: Ken
fatboyjoe90

Paul, my grandad Jones was Carter, I have a great photo of him with his horse i will try and find it today.
Keith.

Thanks, Keith, I'll keep my eyes open for when you find it, i hope you've got more than one. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
Bonesy

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Paul, my grandad Jones was Carter, I have a great photo of him with his horse i will try and find it today.
Keith.

Thanks, Keith, I'll keep my eyes open for when you find it, i hope you've got more than one. :wink: :)
Found it Paul, cracking photo. Grandad Robert Jones was only about 58 here.

Keith
Invicta

That’s a belter Cus, well done for finding it. :D Ken
graham01

great posts keith.my great grandad was a carter firstly in the fruit trade (docks to mathew street} and finally with the old waterloo with crosby corporation.graham...
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Keith, thanks for posting that great photo of your granddad and his horse, have you got a name for it? :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

A carter passes near the overhead at Wapping in 1929. You can see the Baltic fleet pub in the background. :wink: :) :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The SYLVANIA at anchor in the Mersey. :) :wink:
On the left is the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board's salvage tender VIGILANT
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Great photo, Joe. There's been lots of photos of ships lately, maybe Mack can collate them under one topic? It would be good to have a library to reference them :D