Old photos of Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
fatboyjoe90

The Muncaster, New Princes Theatre, Strand Cinema Irlam Road Bootle – a.k.a. The Ranch
The building opened on October 6th, 1890 as a theatre called The Muncaster by the Pennington family. As early as 1901 it had a special showing’s of moving pictures from the American Bioscope Co. and in 1904 and 1905 by the New Century Animation Co., although it remained mostly as a theatre.

Entry to the popular children’s cinema matinee shows could be gained by exchanging an empty jam jar or two.

The cinema closed on December 26th, 1947 and became used a warehouse.
The building was later destroyed by fire in 1954. The site now stands empty.
Below an image of how the site of the old Picture House stands today

Cheers Joe.
sausage dog

john j connell wrote:
nicolas wrote:Liverpool General Transport Strike, 1911

If you click on the photo and enlarge it, on both sides of the street you can see men in Straw Boaters, i believe they were government agents special branch or c i d, (supposed to be undercover but they stand out like a sore thumb) they had the job of identifying potential agitators. JJC.
As in disputes in later years they themselves were the agitators , serants of the state that would sell their own mothers.
lynne99

Thanks for the info on those theatres . As usual you seem to have a nack of getting info from bits of bare earth.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks, Lynne. :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The Bijou was a little-known cinema which once stood on number 47 East Street in Waterloo next to what is The Volunteer Canteen today.

The building was erected in 1840 as a Methodist church and at the turn of the century became the headquarters of the Salvation Army, following this the building was used as a place for live entertainment known as The East Street Assembly Rooms.
In 1909 the building was acquired by Weber Son & Arnold who converted the building adding additional seating. On June 5th of that year, the opening took place and being the districts first permanent place for live entertainment it became quite a significant event. The opening program included variety entertainment and animated pictures shown on a Cinematograph including Coney Island at Night, A Convict’s Comic Escape and A Sound Sleeper. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

Interesting bit of history about the Bijou cinema in East Street.
Plenty of entertainment to be had at that time, another Cinema around the corner from the Bijou, the Queen’s on South Road.
Entrance fee would be more than a couple of jam jars though :D

Thanks Joe :)
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your reply Shelagh, i always look forward to your comments. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Courtesy of Brian Watson.
Gladstone Dock is very large and was designed to take the largest transatlantic steamers. It was named for Robert Gladstone, second cousin of Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone. The construction was a long process and was completed in 1927 by which time it consisted of three miles of quays. It was served by its own railway station and continued to service transatlantic traffic until 1971 when all such services ceased. It is still in use and forms part of Liverpool Freeport. Gladstone Dock is connected to Seaforth Dock in the north and Hornby Dock in the south.

Several steam vessels in Gladstone Dock. The date is not known.

Cheers Joe.
Bonesy

Stanley Hospital.

Keith
murph44

Just as I remember it both my g/grandfather and my eldest brother and a lot of my Aunts and uncles and cousins passed away in Stanley Hospital over the years sad times.Cheers Murph44
nicolas

Netherton Moss about 1952.

fatboyjoe90

Does anyone remember this shop? I used to get my paper and ciggies there on my way to work in the 1960s. :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
Bonesy

The foot bridge over the canal Bridge Road?

Keith
BOBHAMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVyYFKOOdE
Cant remember Joe :D :D :D
the youtube shows the bridge working
for z cars
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Bob, that shop closed around 1974ish just after Princess way flyover was opened. :wink:
Thanks for sharing the video of Z-cars. :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Shop on the corner of Litherland Road and Linacre Lane. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
Glenys

Jo, This is a pic I put on here/somewhere of my grandparents and parents shop, dairy and home, it was lost May Blitz1941; the lady in this pic was Dora/Dorathy Jones who worked and lived with my family.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
PeterR

very interesting Joe-Was this shop on the NORTH corner--or opposite on SOUTH corner-the north corner shop and most of the houses were bombed during the war--either of them we went into for an ice cream with the penny given to US cadged from our Aunty Mag who lived in Lydiate Rd.
Peter :D
Born in Spenser Street
Glenys

North corner.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that info Glenys, It makes it more interesting when there's a story to a photo. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Old Lydiate Railway Station. :wink:
Not Bootle, however you could catch a train from Linacre Lane Station, to get there once upon a time. :) :D :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Old photos of inside Bootle Museum. :wink: :) I don't know if these photos have been posted on here before :?:

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Baines Dairy, Croxteth Avenue, Litherland

1960s BAINES DAIRY Litherland,Milk bottles.
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Great photos, Joe. Thanks for finding them. :D
Brenda M

Hi Glenys - Strange how seeing a picture can jog your memory. I think I remember that dairy. I had just started at Linacre School when that corner was bombed and the school was closed. There was a little girl in my class named Daisy Shaw who lived over the dairy. I often wondered what happened to her. It's a miracle that we survived those terrible days.
Always enjoy your posts........
Brenda M
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for all your kind comments folks. :wink: :) :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The Electric Picture Palace once stood on Bridge Road in Litherland. It was built as auction rooms and became a cinema opening in December 1910 following a change of acquisition of ownership and refurbishment to the building. The refurbishment also included the installation of including electric lighting.
The manager at the time was a man named WJ Moxton, who was said to have supplied excellent programs of entertainment to the patrons.
It was one of Liverpool’s shortest surviving cinemas lasting for only 3 years before it was destroyed by fire in July 1913.
Mr Moxton went on in 1913 to become the manager of the newly built Palladium Cinema situated down the road.
The Gores Directories 0f 1910 – 1912 mention the Electric Picture Palace and have it situated at 19 -21 Bridge Road.The site today is empty and adaptions to the layout and roundabout and road structure in the area have made it difficult to pinpoint the exact location.

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

This photo is copied from the Liverpool history site.
The Stocks and Sundial Moor Lane, Quarry Road, Thornton, L23 – 1907
Image :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

These photos are posted with kind permission from John Forrest and Inacityliving. Image

Old Photos Blackledges Bakery Shops around Bootle and Crosby.

Crosby Village.

Mersey view waterloo

Coffee House Bridge Bootle.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Liverpool’s Walton Gaol No date for this photo, i do remember it looking like this going to the match on the 68 bus many moons ago. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The Last horse-drawn Tram on Linacre Road Litherland 1903. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
henry

The drivers name was Herman Wagner and he lived in my street in litherland
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
filsgreen

Thanks for posting, Joe. I've been to the top of the left hand tower, during my stint on H wing. :D
fatboyjoe90

Nixon's 1920. I posted some photos of Nixon's late last year but i can't find them. :roll:
Image.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Glendower Street And The Glendower Pub October 23rd, 1969. :wink:

Cheers Joe.