Ince woods 1950s

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

Nice memory that Bob. Cycled that way many a time. :D Ken
bob. b

Bob great picture l also cycled along that road to formby with my mates :D :D
BOBHAMO

Ken, Bob, them where the days :D :D :D
on my hercules bike with my mates :D :D :D :D
it seemed another world going from bootle through thornton
might get my bike out :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Patricia

Is this the place where the red squirrels are located? If so, I visited there the
last time I was home, it is close to where my cousin lives, lovely place not only
do you have the woods but the sea and sand too - couldn't be better!!
efc46

Does anybody remember the sign on a wall in in in Ince woods saying :WARNING SCHOOL CHILDREN AROUND THE BEND: (some where by conker woods I think) Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Invicta

Happy days they were lads.
The red squirrels maybe there Patricia but likely you went to Formby Woods further out.
:D Ken
Maureeng

What lovely photo's Bob, i don't think I ever went to Ince Woods,if I did I can't remember but I went to Formby quite a lot. :)
Bernie R

I 'came a cropper' on that bend on my motorbike back in 1978.

Broken wrist and thumb and various cuts and abrasions but it could have been so much worse - it's a renowned accident black spot.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Patricia

Ken - You are correct, it was Formby Woods - thought it was lovely with sea, sand and woods!! :D
Unfortunately ,didn't get to see any squirrels, maybe next time............

bboardman

Hi Patricia-I took my lovely NZ born wife back to meet my large Bootle family-And she loved it.One of the places I took her to was the Red Squirrel sanctuary in Formby-and she has never forgotten it.She said she would like to see it,and so we did.We settled down to a quiet place in the woods and opened our Picnic Lunch basket and started to enjoy our lunch.Within minutes we were invaded by cheeky red squirrels--IT WAS AN UNBELIEVABLE MAGICAL TIME!!!---There are many indigineous birds and animals Unique to NZ, but Squirrels we don't have.That afternoon was unforgettable, and Chrissie, still raves about it, I will never forget it --Billy
Glenys

If you came to Formby by car or bike, you would have driven on the road through Ince Woods - see photo above.

Glenys
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Invicta

You can have some grey squirrels from here Billy, we are over run with them.
Tree Rats :twisted: Ken
Patricia

Billy - That sounded like a really lovely day out!! My cousin Olive lives close by and told
me that at one time they had red squirrels in their garden but that had declined due
to the grey squirrel that brings the virus parapox, which is deadly to native red squirrels.
While I was there, she told me that there had been a serious attempt by the "National Trust
Formby" to collect as many red squirrels as they were able - clear out the grey squirrels
and then introduce the red squirrels back. which apparently has worked.
Here is a little info on it:

"With funding from the Natural Environment Research Council.
In October 2009 pioneering new research into the squirrel pox virus started at Formby. The study,
led by researchers at the University of Liverpool, is looking at exactly how the reds become infected
by the virus, and whether any of them have survived exposure to squirrel pox virus. The project hopes
to provide a better understanding of how an outbreak of squirrel pox develops and what can be done
to break the links that allow it to spread.
Professor Mike Begon from the University of Liverpool, said:
'We are working to understand the dynamics of the squirrel pox virus and what might halt its spread.
We are starting to see evidence of recovery in the red squirrel population but it is still important that
we prevent contact between red squirrels and the greys that carry the virus. We are hopeful that our
research will provide us with the knowledge we need to ensure the long term survival of red squirrels
across the UK.'
For further information please call the National Trust Formby office on 01704 878591 or e-mail
formby@nationaltrust.org.uk"

We did manage to get a photo of this pretty bird.......
fatboyjoe90

What a good photo of Ince Woods Bob, as kids in the 50/60s we used to cycle to Formby most weekends to dig for cockles, I wouldn’t attempt to do it nowadays. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
PeterR

Through there many times on the bike with mates,, anyone got a pic of "Sniggery Woods" ?
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street