St. Mary's Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

Does anyone have a Photo of St. Mary's Bootle please ?

And a Map showing it's position please ?
BOBHAMO

ImageImage
hope this helps Alamo
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road
bboardman

Great post as usual Bob.Any chance you could get your talented hands on St Mary's primary and nursery school pics across the road? That would be something--Cheers Billy
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Bob, I can see my old house, on the top right opposite the black roofs of lambs timber yard. :wink: :) :)
Cheers Joe.
ALAMO2008

Cheers Bob

Great Photos of great value to my Ancestry Tree research.

Was in Central Library and Crosby Library trying to find 1927 Burial of a relative at St Mary's, came across the following which may be of use to others in the future.

ALAMO2008

The Burial Records for St Mary's are on Microfilm at both Liverpool Central Library and Crosby Library Ref :- 283/BOO/4/9 and 283/BOO/4/10

but there is no Microfilm for the Burials March 1912 to November 1928 - Sod's Law I wanted March 1927

It is not known whether this period was destroyed in the Blitz or whether they still exist and just not lodged for copying.

In 1960 all the bodies in the graveyard were moved to Bootle Cemetery apparently.

A Group of Volunteers Listed al the Headstones in a 250 page Volume which is in no order what so ever,

Last edited by ALAMO2008 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

Glad to help ALAMO :D :D :D :D
Billy will this do :D :D :D
good info all the remains where moved i had a mate gravedigger who worked on it
there are a few members who played in there when young :D :D :D
lots of the grave stones are set around the wall and on the paths
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bboardman

Hiya Bob--That pic is perfect,talk about a blast from the past.It brought back memories galore for me.From the age of 3, I walked from Marsh Lane up Irlam Rd past the Bootle Fire Station,past Littlewoods [where me Mam worked] and onto St Mary's Nursery school [next to St Mary's school itself].I remember many great hours playing in the sandpit there.Then, when I turned 5, moved onto St Mary's school.A few of the teachers I can remember were Miss Wienstine?,Mr Connor,Mr Rigby and the caretaker Mr Livingstone who was badly wounded in the war and had a terrible limp.It never ceases to amaze me how one instant in time captured by a camera many years ago can create such a profound effect.Many thanks for putting the pic up Bob so the next time I get back to Bootle the drinks are on me---Billy
jmoorcroft

What wonderful aerial photos Bob, On the first one I can make out our house in Kirk St and the church yard entrance in Church St. Over them entrances( was like an oak apex roof.) Quite a few of us from Kirky carved our initials in the timber beams. I can actually pinpoint where my Great grandfathers grave is, first right on entering the Church St gate, main gate opposite St Marys school. Myself and long time friend John Redfern sagged St Winnies infants to watch the demolition of the Church, approx. 1956/57, hope my memory is intact. Regards Jim
jmoorcroft
BOBHAMO

Billy i had a look around the area of the school a couple of years ago its a
community center now when digging up the site for gardens the found the st marys sandstone school headstone
broken and just dumped i have put photos of the headstone on the site
the school was the first in bootle and was the beginning of the charter of bootle
a bit of bootle history just broken and forgotten
Jim glad it brought back memories , sad john passed away
but still lots of families from the area still around
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
jmoorcroft

The date I entered of demolition of St Marys church, was of course ten years out, 1946/47, not 1956/57, no wonder my punishment was stuck in corner of class wearing a dunces cap. Jim
jmoorcroft
Shelagh

Thanks for putting photos on Bob, never seen these before and wondered what the church looked like, my great grandfather's funeral was at St Mary's in 1887, I only discovered this after research on ancestry, also grateful to Alamo for info regarding burials from that time, will be down to the library this week to check it out, it's like the final piece of the jig saw!!
so pleased, Thank You!
Elaine Goulding

Bob, quick question, am I right in saying a St. Mary's Church existed in the vicinity of Kings Road, Bootle, It was at the top of Exeter Road....I think?
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Elaine, St Mary’s church was situated on Derby Road, Church Street, and Irlam Road, :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Elaine Goulding

Hi Joe,
I may have the address wrong. Do you know the name of the Church on the corner of Exeter Road (bottom end) and Queens road. I know it has been demolished for many years, however I thought that was also St. Mary's????? My Mum and Dad were married there.
Elaine

BOBHAMO

Elaine there was a methodist church on the corner of Hertford and queens road
and a welsh methodist on balliol kings road end
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road
Elaine Goulding

I must be getting mixed up, however I am certain it was located on the corner of Exeter Road. Let me get back to you, I will do a little investigating!!!
Elaine

Ar Kid

You are correct Elaine, the church was on the corner of Exeter road facing the telephone exchange. Peter.
BOBHAMO

Elaine what years on another thread this area was st johns hall
here is the thread
http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... 27#p390727
but looking at the later dir 1962 it says st marys church
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Bootle/
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

Great pictures Bob
rjkellet

I was married in st marys church. Exeter road. Opposite the. Telephone exchange. The vicar was. Joe Kitts. Ex miner. Phyllis Breen. I have photos of the inside And outside Went to have a look in 2004. And was gone.
Rob and Jan Kellett,Morrinsville,New Zealand
rjkellet

Phyllis's Breen. Who lived in wad ham road. Was in charge of flowers. Etc. etc.
IanA

rjkellet wrote:I was married in st marys church. Exeter road. Opposite the. Telephone exchange. The vicar was. Joe Kitts. Ex miner. Phyllis Breen. I have photos of the inside And outside Went to have a look in 2004. And was gone.
That was a different St Mary's. If Joe Kitts was the vicar, maybe I was the organist - I played there for a couple of years in the mid 60s. They had a terrible electric organ which use to smoke and crackle when you turned it on. The sound wasn't up to much either. I was good friends with Joe's son, Braynard, who was my age. We used to fight with Great War bayonets in the vicarage cellar.
rjkellet

One of my wedding pics is joe Kitts n me n him indoors. Signing the register. Joe was the best help in my family when my dad was going to his rest. I was married. 20th June. 1964. I have a pic of the inside of the church Jan
IanA

!964 was too early for me. I guess I started to play there about 1966/7. It was a sort of pre-fab church, like St Leonard's, put up in a hurry for a congregation which had been bombed out. My mum was in an air raid shelter when St Leonard's was hit - she remembered the sound of the bells falling and thought it was the warning for a German invasion.
rjkellet

Thanks for your post iain Ps. My mackintosh family come from grantown. /froikheim.
Maureeng

[quote="Elaine Goulding"]I must be getting mixed up, however I am certain it was located on the corner of Exeter Road. Let me get back to you, I will do a little investigating!!![/quote]

Elaine, the church you are thinking of was St Mary with St John, corner of Exeter and Queens Road, believe it or not I used to be in the choir there,lol,the church backed on to my Nanas house, she lived in Exeter Road. :)
bob. b

Just got me thinking with regards to St. Mary,s Church.
Littlewoods building next to it was making something for the war at the time could it have been a mistake with regards to the Church being bombed.
Don,t know
Elaine Goulding

Thought I was going around the bend with St. Mary's Church on Queens Road. I remember my Mum saying she got married there. Thanks Maureen and AR kid. I used to go to Sunday School there.
Elaine

Dan

Bootle Times September 4 1997.

St Mary's Primary School football team.

Dan

Services for the coronation of King George V. June 22 and 25 1911.