gray street school

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
jddry

bjones

Thanks David. It's just as I remember it and as I described in the other thread.
Looking beyond Sullivan's Laundry buildings;
Left side; the triangular yard with the dinner hall and girls lavs.
Middle ground is the boys yard with walls either side - I think the boys lavs were on the near (Akenside St) wall so out of view in pic.
Right side is the big yard for little kids. On the far right of this yeard is the lavatory block and on the left, alongside the wall next to the boys yard is the "modern" building in front of which Mr Williams' memorial garden was built.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
BOBHAMO

gray street 1960
gray street 1947
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bjones

The 1960 pic is of the year below me and I recognise many of the faces but can't recall too many names.
On the back row that's defo David Fairchild 7th from left and it looks like perhaps one of the Pinningtons and a Billows at 4 and 5 from left. Could be a Jarvis 3rd from right.
Strong family resemblances in some of the big Grayo families.
Middle row; Eric Jenkins 4th from right?
Front row;recognise many of these faces but only one name; Margaret Jones is 2nd right.
Pretty sure Julie Arrowsmith should be somewhere on this pic too.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
BOBHAMO

Great that Bee to put names :D :D :D to the faces
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
eric jenkinson

Hi Bee,
yep thats me middle row fifth on right,i can`t remember all the names either!!,but here goes
back row,2nd left ray jarvis,4th left ray pinnington,third right ian abernethy?,fourth right smithy? 5th right
alan kenyon,6th right dave fairchild,
middle row 2nd left graham chambers?,5th right,ME, :D 6th right glenis johnston,
front row,4th left wendy williams
lily8

Beej looking at the photos (thanks Bob :D ) and remembering the rag hair setting and the lovely ribbons we had in those days (just forget that awful Amami stuff :cry: ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lily
bjones

The 1947 Pic
My brother Don (born 1937) has had a look at this pic and confirms it's his year. For some reason he's not on it but was able to identify some of the kids. I think he's done great considering he hasn't seen most of these kids since he was 11 years old. Well done that boy!
Does anyone recognise the names?
Back Row;
Tall lad in the centre Brian Edward Jones( Shelley St.)
Alec Pinnington (Gray St) on the end of this row

2nd Row from back;
1st left is Colin (or Stuart?) Fell whose dad had the bike shop near the Queens
also on this row but he didn't say where about are George Bibby (Bowles St) and Dorothy Eels (Dryden St)

3rd Row down
1st left Sheila Jones (Burns St) he remembers her as the only one to ever beat him in a maths test (just the once mind :lol: )
3rd from right (with bow “tie”) is Milly Martin, next to her (didn't say which side) is Esther Chatterton (they lived next door to each other in Boswell St(?)

4th Row
5th from left; Mary Smith (Collins St) next to her (didn't say which side) Mary Moore (Beattie St)
Bee

pinny

yes that is Ray Pinnington AT GRAY STREET 1960
Dan

From Building News January 29 1897. Bootle Council plans for Gray Street School.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Colourised Bob Hamo's pictures.

Gray Street 1947.

Gray Street 1960.

Regards

Dan
Dan

jddry wrote: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:12 am
Gray Street School

Another one from imageshack. Most come up "photo deleted".