YORK STREET AND FRIENDS

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
20 Lancs

York Street 1965

York Street with Washington Street at the top. I'm on my new Walker's bike.

My mam with a bucket of hot tar tarring the shed roof my dad had just recovered it with a hatch cover.
My dad and me in the yard (how did he fit in that bath?)

Myself in the entry, to the left the Strand Rd prefab gardens and Strand Rd station at the bottom.

These are taken in the Barrett's garden which was next to the railway this is now the rear entrance to Stella Nova and the wall on the left is still there.
The top photo is of Paul about 1952.
Paul's birthday party with his brother Terry. myself and Jimmy Porter from York St .Paul in his cowboy outfit.

Another photo from the entry the chimneys are from the shops in Strand Rd and Virginia St about 1954.
Back row L to R myself Terry Barrett.
Middle row ? McKenna, Frankie McKenna, Angela Gordon. (maybe)
Front row Ronnie Greener, Patricia Farley, Paul Barrett.
The Barrett's, McKenna's and Farley's lived in the prefabs in Strand Rd that backed on to York St, Ronnie and Angela lived in York St.
fatboyjoe90

Tommy,Great photos once again on your last photo I remember Ronnie Greener. And you can see the old gas light. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Great pics, Tommy, love the one of the group of kiddies!!! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
20 Lancs

Joe most of the time that lamp didn't work but a lighted Evening Exy or Echo always did when going down to the toilet. Also the hurricane lamp served as a light and kept the pipes from freezing with the help of old pullover lagging.

Tommy Howard
20 Lancs

Loretta I haven't seen any of them for 45 years but through this site I am meeting another long lost friend on Friday he may have news of them. I should have titled that picture The Back Entry Diddlers.

Tommy Howard
alamo11

Hello 20Lancs,
Thanks to forum and yourself for memorable photos of York and Washington Street.
I lived at number two York Street circa 1939 to 1953.
Opposite us in number three lived Danny & Lilly Steele who had a young daughter Carol. I believe she is in the picture with the children, she is on the left and is my cousin.
Angela Gordon at the right hand side and is also my cousin she is the daughter of Ada and Eddie Gordon at number 7 York Street.

The Balmforth family at number 5 were my grandparents. I have other memories of this area should anyone else like to hear from me.
Kindest Regards Allen Prescott
Liverpool Docks 1957-63 Left U.K. 1963. NZ 8 Years. Australia 39 years. Maureen O'Brien Viola St. Like to hear from anyone who may remembers us.
PETER CRAIG

Lovely photos Tommy,
If you have any more from around Bootle please post them,
Peter.
bob. b

Tommy great pictures that's history you have captured on the forum well done you regards bob
glendower

Brilliant photos Tommy I am still learning how to work the computer I went onto this site and saw York Street site clicked on and saw my auntie Lizzie you in the street on your bike and your dad uncle Ned bought back lovely memories speak to you soon keep up the good work Tommy your cousin Tony Randles
Dan

Bootle Times January 26 1966.

Regards

Dan
20 Lancs

Thanks for the picture Dan even looking like it does it brings back many happy memories of lost mates, lovers, robbers, plonkies, cheats, shops and ale houses all from around the sadly missed Strand Road. Today will be taken up by visions of happy days.
Thanks again Dan.
God bless Bootle.
Tommy Howard
Dan

Thanks Tommy

I've been recycling your 1881 Bootle Docks photos on the For Any Old Dockers thread.

Where is that painting? I was thinking of maybe the Town Hall or the Maritime Museum.

I've downloaded most of the photos you posted about 5 years ago - great photos of Bootle.

Sent the two below to my brother. Gerry Garside is one of our many cousins.

Image Image

Gerry's still going. You'll find him by searching Gerry Garside twitter.

Thanks for all the photos.

Dan
BOBHAMO

Tommy last listing york street 1962
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
20 Lancs

Dan I own that picture its one of a series of the whole dock estate its about 3'x2'. I'm not on twitter Dan so if you ever talk to Gerry give him my best wishers and tell him the 10/- he borrowed of me in the White House Litherland to get a round in to forget it. All them pictures with Gerry where from Litherland town hall about 1965/6 when I was doing the pass out fiddle.

Bob thank you for the list

Tommy Howard
filsgreen

Any relation to Ernie Howard, who used to be a bus driver Tommy?
20 Lancs

No no bus drivers nor bookies i.e. Stan Howard. my dad Ned was engine room storekeeper with the P.S.N.C. They were from the Canal/Berry street area.
fatboyjoe90

Nice to see you posting again Tommy, your photos have been sorely missed. :wink: :D

You're doing a grand job with all the work you put into it, Dan. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
20 Lancs

t
Thanks for that lads sadly I have no more photos to send in and as regards to posting I have been away for awhile but nice to see good friends still knocking about

Tommy Howard
Dan

12.10 am is way past your bed time Tommy.

Lights out and go to sleep.

Regards

Dan
20 Lancs

Good morning Dan.
I ment to say to you if you ever want to see that Bootle picture your very welcome but I'm an exile now and a townie but only 10 minutes from beautiful Bootle. Joe knows where I am.

Tommy howard
Dan

Cheers Tommy,

It's the history of it that interests me. Any idea of the artist and date painted? I think you said it was part of a series featuring the dock front.

Any idea where the rest of the series may have ended up?

I'm in no rush for answers. Take your time, I've got lots of stuff to be going on with.

Regards

Dan
20 Lancs

Dan
The only info I have is was produced by Thomas Kell & Sons Covent Garden London. I have seen a recent Echo photo of Liverpools mayor standing in front of one of the series in what looks to be Liverpool town hall. I have tried local antique and auction houses for help but no one could.
Tommy Howard
Dan

Cheers Tommy

Something else to add to the research list.

Regards

Dan
Dan

20 Lancs wrote: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 am York Street 1965

York Street with Washington Street at the top. I'm on my new Walker's bike.

My mam with a bucket of hot tar tarring the shed roof my dad had just recovered it with a hatch cover.
My dad and me in the yard (how did he fit in that bath?)

Myself in the entry, to the left the Strand Rd prefab gardens and Strand Rd station at the bottom.

These are taken in the Barrett's garden which was next to the railway this is now the rear entrance to Stella Nova and the wall on the left is still there.
The top photo is of Paul about 1952.
Paul's birthday party with his brother Terry. myself and Jimmy Porter from York St .Paul in his cowboy outfit.

Another photo from the entry the chimneys are from the shops in Strand Rd and Virginia St about 1954.
Back row L to R myself Terry Barrett.
Middle row ? McKenna, Frankie McKenna, Angela Gordon. (maybe)
Front row Ronnie Greener, Patricia Farley, Paul Barrett.
The Barrett's, McKenna's and Farley's lived in the prefabs in Strand Rd that backed on to York St, Ronnie and Angela lived in York St.
Dan

These maps, published in 1891, each cover a very small area but they are more detailed than other maps.

York Street is shown (top middle), and the site of each house is shown.

Glenys

Dan,
Re Gerry Garside, would that be Gerard ex Knowsley Road, had brothers Paul and Damian??

Glenys
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Dan

One and the same Glenys.

I last saw Gerard, with his wife Angela, about 2 years ago at a family wedding, he was the image of his dad (Uncle Bob or "Tiny").

Damian died at Ormskirk hospital about 8 or 9 years ago.

Paul lives near Nottingham with his wife Jessie. He has two boys Paul and Greg, and a granddaughter who has qualified as a doctor.
Glenys

Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember Mr. Garside, but do remember Mrs. G and her sister. We lived next door, across the entry from them. I have a couple of pics somewhere taken in our backyard; if I find them I will post on here.

If you are ever in touch with Paul or Gerard, please remember me to them.

Glenys
Glenys

Hopefully......
Glenys

Left to right - Gerard/Eric, my brother/ Kenny Baker, at back Damian.
How do I make this pic larger please?
Glenys

More,

Left to right; John Birchall, Paul and me, in our backyard.
Dan

Glenys wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:12 pm More,

Left to right; John Birchall, Paul and me, in our backyard.

150% enlarged. (you start to lose the sharpness of the original.
Left to right - Gerard/Eric, my brother/ Kenny Baker, at back Damian.

200% enlarged

Uncle Bob was called "Tiny" because he was about 6'6" (dockers and their sense of humour). :)

Bald, thin and from Oldham, used to drink in The Pacific. If he overstayed, Damian was sent to tell him to come home.

The look on Damian's face when he was recounting this, was enough to tell you the agony he felt having to do it,
Glenys

Thanks Dan,
The Garside house was an unusual shape, almost like a triangle, next to the clinic. There were prefabs built behind our houses.

Kenny Baker and John Birchall both lived on the other side of Knowsley Road.

G