Maguire Avenue VELODROME TRACK pictures

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
OverLoad

Hello, does anyone have any PICTURES or VIDEOS of Bootle velodrome which used to be by the Maguire Avenue/Stuart Road North

thank you
BOBHAMO

Hi Overlord and welcome :lol: :lol:
the cycle track was around the football pitch then called bootle stadium
most of the football members who trained and played finals there will remember it , i cant remember watching any races there but it must be early 50s the only photo i have seen is one of the joes the fire bobby
thread showing partial bits of the track
sorry cant help at the moment
but you never know photos are put on all the time
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Allan Shepherd

Hi BOBHAMO

Just viewed the pic of the fire engines driving around the track...brought back some very fond memories of when we were teenagers and cycled road and track events during the late 50's early 60's. Remember coming of the bike on a number of occasion's and exiting the track under those scaffolding tubes that constituted the boundary. Lost a lot of skin during those days!!

Best Regards
Allan
BOBHAMO

Looked a bit dangerous Allen :lol: :lol:
did you have a fixed wheel bike :lol: :lol:
health and safety :roll: :roll:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Allan Shepherd

Had a fixed wheel Walvale that I changed the gearing (chain set and rear sprocket) and wheel/tyre combination depending on distance and type of training on road or track. Also done the occasional off road races across fields and around ponds/lakes very often ending up in the water. Besides Dad having a car he also had a moped that he used in the summer to travel from Kirkby to Skelmersdale which I used to cycle behind (worked at the same Engineering Company) also tucking in behind the occasional bus to truck if the opportunity arose. When they built the Kirkby Stadium that was a different kettle of fish coming off those high banks with a sling shot effect unlike the gentle curves of Bootle!!

Road bikes changed over the years ranging from Raleigh, Quinn, Soens and a few hybrids of dubious origins!! Happy days of youthful exuberance.

Best Regards
Allan
PETER CRAIG

OverLoad wrote:Hello, does anyone have any PICTURES or VIDEOS of Bootle velodrome which used to be by the Maguire Avenue/Stuart Road North

thank you
Welcome to the Bootle forum OverLoad,
Peter.
Matt

Hi Overload,try doing a google search on my teenage hero
Reg Harris.Even though he rode for Raleigh there is a photo
of him on a Harry Quinn bike at the Bootle track,in fact there are lots
of pictures of him and I know lots of them are at Bootle. Spent many
long hours there and had lots of concrete rashes from falling off :oops:
Hope this helps.
Matt
Allan Shepherd

Hi all

I remember Reg Harris who also rode Carlton. Also remember Stan Brittain (think he was a joiner working around Netherton at the time) from Liverpool...remember riding behind someone!! with a group of mates then he upped the anti and disappeared over the horizon. Found out later it was Stan Brittain.

My older brother John had a Hetchins bike with the curly stays, one of our group also had a Bates bike with the Diadrant front forks.

Best Regards
Allan
Sharky

Hi,just browsing and came across this thread on Bootle cycle track. I was a member of Prescot Road Club back in the 60's and the club held its annual track championships at Bootle. I rode it in 1967 and have some (not very good) photos somewhere. Will try and find them and post them in the next few days.
BOBHAMO

Welcome Sharky :D :D :D
this is a 62 Corona cycle race merseyside got it of ebay mint
you might know a few people , clubs
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Sharky

Great souvineer that, but I was only 12 when that race took place. But I do recognise many of the names in the programme. Is that Les West on the front cover?

My dad was a founder member of the Prescot and I joined in '66 and raced with them until' 69 when the family moved to Kent. Now with the Gravesend CC and still riding a few TT's. Occasionally have come up to ride on the Rainford bypass.

My club mates at the Prescot were Ray Speake, Duncan Sparrow, Phil Boden and Brian Farrington. Sadly I know some of these have left us.

Cheers
Sharky

Doesn't really show the track, but is me passing the start line.

I can still remember the three sitting down - Keith, Chris and Steve

Edit : just realised my memory isn't as good as it was. The chap on the right was Phil, not Steve
Last edited by Sharky on Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

no gears :D :D you must have been mad :D :D with those concrete posts and track
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
raygreen

Hi Here is a photo of two of my Southport RCC club mates on the track in about 1965. I raced there from 1962 until the track league was moved to Kirkby in about 1967. Kirkby was a much better track but it was great at Bootle as being a big, flat track you didn't need as much skill which suited me!
BOBHAMO

bit bigger Ray
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road