For any Old Dockers

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Gardner 180

Dan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:34 pm Pre-WWII photo of the north dock area. Berry Street and Canal Street houses visible, and the canopies over Oriel Road station.

Map of the area below.

Two interesting pictures Dan. I have been able to locate the haulage yard of Jarvis Robinson Transport yard, particularly in the
first picture. From Millers Bridge, their depot yard was first on the left as you entered Canal Street. From early 1965, from the
age of 21, I drove a Leyland Comet 13 ton GVW, reg number NKF 176, for Jarvis Robinson for about 6 months. Later that year,
I was took on with W.H.Smith Transport section in Leeds Street. I was on regular night shift delivering the Welsh edition of the
Daily Post newspaper as far as Bangor, and some times a bit shorter journey to Wrexham and Chester. The former transport
yard of Jarvis Robinson has been, and still is the depot of Maghull Coaches.

Cheers, Ray.
Gardner 180

Gardner 180 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:32 pm
Dan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:34 pm Pre-WWII photo of the north dock area. Berry Street and Canal Street houses visible, and the canopies over Oriel Road station.

Map of the area below.

Two interesting pictures Dan. I have been able to locate the haulage yard of Jarvis Robinson Transport yard, particularly in the
first picture. From Millers Bridge, their depot yard was first on the left as you entered Canal Street. From early 1965, at the
age of 21, I drove a Leyland Comet 13 ton GVW, reg number NKF 176, for Jarvis Robinson for about 6 months. Later that year,
I was took on with W.H.Smith, Transport section in Leeds Street. I was on regular night shift delivering the Welsh edition of the
Daily Post newspaper as far as Bangor, and some times a bit shorter journey to Wrexham and Chester. The former transport
yard of Jarvis Robinson has been, and still is the depot of Maghull Coaches.

Cheers, Ray.
Dan

Undated.

Gardner 180

Hi Dan, Another great picture of lorries that always interest me. I was an HGV driver from the age of 21, throughout all of my
working days until I turned 71, 49 years and 8 months on the road, mainly in the U.K., but occasionally into Europe. I am trying
to establish the lorry make of your picture which looks very much like one of Bibbys Tractor and Trailers. The name " Unicar "
comes to mind, but I am not certain. Are you aware of any other pictures of Bibbys Lorries ?. Two of my early driving days was
driving Ribble buses, early 1968 until early 1970, then back to driving lorries..

Cheers, Ray.
J.F.G

Gardner 180 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:19 pm Hi Dan, Another great picture of lorries that always interest me. I was an HGV driver from the age of 21, throughout all of my
working days until I turned 71, 49 years and 8 months on the road, mainly in the U.K., but occasionally into Europe. I am trying
to establish the lorry make of your picture which looks very much like one of Bibbys Tractor and Trailers. The name " Unicar "
comes to mind, but I am not certain. Are you aware of any other pictures of Bibbys Lorries ?. Two of my early driving days was
driving Ribble buses, early 1968 until early 1970, then back to driving lorries..

Cheers, Ray.
Hello Ray

It is a Unipower

Regards

John
Gardner 180

Thank you John for the " Unipower " name. Cheers, Ray.
Dan

Ray, I'm always looking for info on Bibby's, but it's very difficullt to find much now.

Crosby Herald February 18 1955.

From a talk given by Mr J P Barrow to the Crosby Historical Society on the ubject of "The Crosby Lighthouse 1839-1898".

From the 1894 OS map, Crosby lighthouse is a little to the south of Hightown and to the east of the river Alt.

From the Formby Civic Society site, a 1936 photo of the Formby lighthouse.

Dan

In March 1955 the Crosby Herald published drawings of the two Crosby Lighthouses.

A couple of weeks later they published a photo showing the second. rebuilt, lighthouse was a square structure.