Bootle Centenary,Roby Street Pics

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ste6422

Some very old slides my sister scanned showing family and friends from Roby Street enjoying a street party for the Bootle Centenary.

fatboyjoe90

Great photos ste, thanks for sharing. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Maureeng

Great photo's ste and wonderful memories, we had a street party as well and we decorated our street,I lived in Cornwall Street, can't find the photo's though. Thank's for sharing. :)
lily8

Great pics thanks :P
Lily
Bettymac

I was born in 14 Roby st and remember all those houses, the 1st pic was the lovely mrs Dutton with george in the chair,the 6th pic i remember the little girl but the name escapes me,the 8th pic is outside mrs Browns house number 2 Roby st the 9th pic i think is outside mrs Gills house with all the family.
What happy days we all had, all my childhood was in that street both sets of my grand parents lived there.
I think the mayor and mayoress was a Mr and Mrs Gee who had a butchers on Stanley rd.

Betty Saggers.
Brenda M

Hi Bettymac - enjoyed seeing the pictures of Roby St. Many years ago, I had an old Linacre School friend who lived at number 11. Her name was Sheila Oliver. Perhaps you remember her.........

Brenda M
Bettymac

Hi Brenda
I sure do remember Sheila, Ronnie and Flo and I think there was another brother .Flo's daughter Ann Hinks was my best friend she married a American soldier and left for the States we lost touch after a few years,
The olivers lived facing my gran and moved to a big house on Stanley rd three doors from St Matthews church it was a lovely big house and we had lots of fun there Sheila lived there up to 2yrs ago I did write her a letter but got no reply and the house was sold early this year.

Betty
BOBHAMO

Some great shots ste
thanks for putting them on .
another harold gee photo :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
dorothy834

What great photo's Ste...I knew Lucy Hadfield and her family...

I see our local butcher there Harold Gee and his lady wife...

thanks ...Dorothy
dorothy834
Bettymac

Hi DOROTH
Lucy Hadfield lived at number 4 with her brother and sister very nice people.

Betty
ste6422

I am the little kid in the centre of pic 9 (steve Prentice) we lived in number 18,sat next to me is Clifford McDonagh,The girl holding the cake in pic 12 is my cousin Marion Sinnott,stood over her right shoulder is my aunty Marie Sinnott from number 16
BOBHAMO

geff stopforth went to the georges
when i was there
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bettymac

Hi Ste
My gran's lived at numbers 14 and 20 Roby st gran saggers lived next door to the Sinnotts I remember the lady who lived at number 18 she went to live in a home we kids thought she was mad but as I now know it was Dementia so sad
Not far off it myself.LOL

Betty
dorothy834

Don't be like that Betty ...

yes Lucy was a lovley Lady..not sure it was her 'sister'

possibly her mother...I think...Dorothy.
dorothy834
GillNY

My grandad and nan lived in 15 Roby St. Frank Gill and Alice Gill ( Walmsley) My nan was friends with Mrs. Dutton who’d come in for a cup of tea and some cake now and again. My nan was a great cook and did some culinary magic somehow every night. I was there when I was born 1963 - and stayed through 1967 as my mum and dad were at work and my nan took care of me. My grandad Frank worked at the gas works down the street. At that time my dad worked in Johnsons/Tannery and later on was a driver for Dewhursts the butchers. My mum worked in Ripaults and Jacobs. My grandad had a woodwork shop in the back yard shed and he also liked to mend watches. Later on I remember him saying that Timex watches were the toughest to fix. We left Roby St and moved to a “wonderful” asbestos build Shelley St. Prefab. Funny, thought it was 10,000 miles away from Roby St. Good times and memories.
filsgreen

Welcome to the forum, Gillny. :)
GillNY

Pic # 9 down from top is 15 Roby Street. That’s me nan Alice Gill with her daughter (my autie) Elsie Stokes, her husband Harry Stokes and Alice’s son Tommy Gill. That’s the house I spent my early years in when my mum and dad were out working. Pic #1 has “Mona” Dutton and her son (wheelchair). Mrs. Dutton was a nice lady to me growing up. Like most scouse nans, Alice was a no nonsense rock star. Went throught the blitz of Bootle etc, lack of food for years following the war and nothing after that experience would faze her. My grandad was a gunner in the RAF in Scotland -Orkneys - and my dad as a baby was shipped off to a farm in Wales for safety. I’ m sure the whole of Roby street and Liverpool had exactly the same kind of story.
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
GillNY

Fantastic
BOBHAMO

GillNy i have some modern photos of roby street
will find them for you
i had a schoolmate geff stopforth who lived there
a stamping ground for me :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
GillNY

My dad, James Gill spoke of the Stopforths. So that would be amazing. We live on a tiny planet! How much historical material do you have - museum size? Brilliant.
My dad said that as a kid he used the garage door at bottom of the street on Thornton road as a perfect size ‘goal’. They played with a tennis ball and got really good at footie. (Nobody could afford a real football). If you could cross and header a tennis ball, a real football was nothing. :)
Sandra1943

My granny smithson lived at number 10 she is the lady on the right sitting on a chair with her sister lill outside her house,my granny saggers lived at 14 remember some of the neighbours went to live with my gran at number 14 with my husband kenny and 4 month old son no bathroom and only cold water but happy days .
Dan

ste6422 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:23 am
Some very old slides my sister scanned showing family and friends from Roby Street enjoying a street party for the Bootle Centenary.

[Image

Love the second from bottom picture showing the Bootle dog. :)

Also in that picture is, I think, the Mayor of Bootle Alderman Oliver Ellis.