Balliol Road school

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Rasco

Hi,

Around 1966-1968 the Bootle Times publised some photos taken of local schools.

I was at Balliol boys at the time and I remember the photo being taken of all the lads and teachers standing in the playground by a photographer who was hanging out of the staff room window (sort of above the metal work room).

If anyone has a copy or knows where to get one I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Dave.
Stan Clayton

Dave,
I also went to Balliol, 1948 to 1952, and a shiver ran down my spine when you mentioned (above the metalwork room) as I immediately thought of the metalwork teacher at that time was Mr Cooper. He must have been the most hated and feared teacher at Balliol. I dreaded Monday mornings because that was the day we had metalwork.

Stan
Rasco

Hi Stan,

It was Andy McMillan when I was there from '66 through '71, no shivers about him as he was a good guy and treated us (well the ones who wanted to be there) well.

Dave
granhet

Hi - I was at Balliol girls school from 59 - 64. If anyone has any photos from then I would love to see them. Cheers.
Ron Waters

Stan I remember Mr Cooper very well , he was hated by most kids I think if he had been teaching now he would have ended up in nick , the way he threw things at you , I was in Balliol from 1946 - 1950 our form teacher was Mr Page , he was great , he always enjoyed talking about football , he only passed away about two years ago , I think he was about 88 when he died
Ron
Stan Clayton

Hi Ron,
I remember Mr Page very well, he took Practical Drawing. He was a friend of my form teacher, Mr Burgess who was also a very nice man.
I met up again with Cliff Page in the 60's. At that time I played league Table Tennis for Bebington NALGO in the Wirral Table Tennis League and Cliff Page also played in that league, not sure, but I think he played for a team from Neston? but remember that he was as good Table Tennis player. At that time I also played in the Business House Table Tennis League League in Liverpool for Canadian Pacific (CPR)
Do you remember Cloughie who I think took Art? with the huge scar on his neck?
But I really dreaded, and hated, monday mornings and the metalwork lesson. Waiting in the corridor outside the workshop for Mr Cooper to turn up and praying he would be in a good mood, but sad to say, he never was.
Stan
bootlebuck

class of 51-55,Cliff Pages class, Cooper a sadist if ever,mind the one with a wicked caning hand was Miss Adams History, rarley if ever hit the fingers always your wrist, then there was Rolston next door English, memory serves he was originally a German. & of course Music/deputy head Elliot.As the old song says " I remember it well" especially the freezing cold prefab class room & beautifull play ground, a health & safety delight.
bootle buck.
EdMcDonald

granhet wrote:Hi - I was at Balliol girls school from 59 - 64. If anyone has any photos from then I would love to see them. Cheers.
Maybe you might have known my missus. Margaret Shacklady. She was in Balliol about that time.
Maureeng

Hi Ed,I know your missus Ed,how is she?
surestart

My nan was probably one of the longest serving members of staff at this school, she was a cleaner there and worked there for 33 years
EdMcDonald

Maureeng wrote:Hi Ed,I know your missus Ed,how is she?
She's doing just fine young lady. Just come back from two weeks of cruising the Carribean.
Alan M

EdMcDonald wrote:
granhet wrote:Hi - I was at Balliol girls school from 59 - 64. If anyone has any photos from then I would love to see them. Cheers.
Maybe you might have known my missus. Margaret Shacklady. She was in Balliol about that time.
If its the same one, she used to live next door but one to us in Downing Road.

Alan
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
EdMcDonald

Alan M wrote:
EdMcDonald wrote:
If its the same one, she used to live next door but one to us in Downing Road.

Alan
Hi Alan.
Marg used to live in # 60. Along with her brother Billy and sisters June and Susan
bootlejoy

Hi Ed, I also went to school with your wife Margaret. Please tell her I was asking about her. Both Maureen and I lost touch with Margaret when she left her last job.
Can you send a pm with your email address please as we would like to get in contact again.

Thanks
Joy
Joy, Berry St, Bootle, now Perth, West Australia
beardedpapa

Was Balliol Road school by any chance Bootle Tech?

If so, I went there from about 1952 till 1960, some nightschool

Only fond memories

beardepapa
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia
granhet

Ed McDonald - I don't recall anyone of the name Margaret Shacklady. What form was she in and can she remember any of her teachers names. I remember the head being Miss Evans (very scary lady) and Mrs Watts used to teach English.

Beardedpapa - If I remember correctly Bootle Tech was at the bottom end of Balliol Road near the baths, wheras Balliol School was right up the other end of the road, towards the Grammar School.
matt wethered

Correct granhet,Bootle Tech building was connected to the Boy's Grammar at the end of Balliol road and next door to the Bootle Baths and Balliol road school was very close to the Girls Grammar on Breeze Hill/Balliol road.
Matt
beardedpapa

Hi Granhet

Yes I think you are right. I went to Bootle Baths to learn how to swim. Whilst it did the trick in getting me swimming I still remember the nausiating smell of chlorine, it being an indoor baths. At least here in Brisbane most of the pools are outdoors and you don't get the smell

Beardedpapa
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia
Albert4511

Ron Waters wrote:Stan I remember Mr Cooper very well , he was hated by most kids I think if he had been teaching now he would have ended up in nick , the way he threw things at you , I was in Balliol from 1946 - 1950 our form teacher was Mr Page , he was great , he always enjoyed talking about football , he only passed away about two years ago , I think he was about 88 when he died
Ron
I remember Mr Page and Pop Taylor both RAF war Vets, Mr Tickle and Mr Ralston with the blue cane hidden up his sleeve, Mr Mills he was the Head master and also the local Magistrate
Also went to Christ Church and then on to Eden Vale prior to Balliol Rd, Haven't lived in Bootle since 1964
Lived in Oak Street
Palace Barracks Memorial Garden has been a place of remembrance for nearly 18 years.
bootlebuck

Hi Albert whats your last name, I was at Balliol the same time as a very brainy lad called Keith Hitchcock he was a wiz at making radio's etc, & I was in the scouts with a lad called Hollinrake, in Holly [maybe mispelt]& of course there was Malcome Makin on the corner of Beech & Holly. I lived on the cornr of Ash & Beech.
grekko

bootlebuck wrote:Hi Albert whats your last name, I was at Balliol the same time as a very brainy lad called Keith Hitchcock he was a wiz at making radio's etc, & I was in the scouts with a lad called Hollinrake, in Holly [maybe mispelt]& of course there was Malcome Makin on the corner of Beech & Holly. I lived on the cornr of Ash & Beech.
Would you be Billy Hastings? or the lad I can't remember name of who lived on the opposite corner to Billy,the house had a garden wall we sat on as kids unless chased by the mum,or the lad who lived facing that house and had kept an incendiary bomb under the stairs.
I lived in middle of Beech street 1944-1966 (strand Rd end).
Dave
bootlebuck

grekko wrote:
bootlebuck wrote:Hi Albert whats your last name, I was at Balliol the same time as a very brainy lad called Keith Hitchcock he was a wiz at making radio's etc, & I was in the scouts with a lad called Hollinrake, in Holly [maybe mispelt]& of course there was Malcome Makin on the corner of Beech & Holly. I lived on the cornr of Ash & Beech.
Would you be Billy Hastings? or the lad I can't remember name of who lived on the opposite corner to Billy,the house had a garden wall we sat on as kids unless chased by the mum,or the lad who lived facing that house and had kept an incendiary bomb under the stairs.
Dave
Now then Grekko you have really got me worried, I know my memory is getting a bit selective these days but please help me out here, the ONLY lads I recall in Beech Street was one in I think No3 next to Wolfendens dairy Think he was a Ron surname of Davies, tother was a Harry Ross lived opposite side of Beech became a Minister, other than that canny mind anyone else, Oh & the McKay clan lived in end house next to ally,remember they had a fire in one of the bed rooms. The scary bit is how you know about the Incendry. So for the sake of my sanity give us a clue either here or a PM, no doubt my sister may see this & reconise you straight away.
bootle buck
grekko

bootlebuck wrote:
grekko wrote:
Dave
Now then Grekko you have really got me worried, I know my memory is getting a bit selective these days but please help me out here, the ONLY lads I recall in Beech Street was one in I think No3 next to Wolfendens dairy Think he was a Ron surname of Davies, tother was a Harry Ross lived opposite side of Beech became a Minister, other than that canny mind anyone else, Oh & the McKay clan lived in end house next to ally,remember they had a fire in one of the bed rooms. The scary bit is how you know about the Incendry. So for the sake of my sanity give us a clue either here or a PM, no doubt my sister may see this & reconise you straight away.
bootle buck
Is it Lenny Hall?
Ron Davies did indeed live in No 3 , he was my cousin and Harry Ross(vicar of [Everton FC] St Lukes) lived in No4 directly facing where I lived No 11, a further clue before I have to send details via PM is my mothers name was Doris(Dolly) who often did small sewing jobs for neighbours. Mike Rose lived No 23next door but one to alley , Willy Ninem (money lender),lived second house in Ash St past Beech. Mrs Gilchrist lived other corner Beech/Ash street, Eddy Rothwell No5 Beech Street. Mckechnie Twins little Beech next door to Mally Makin.

any wiser now?
Dave

and the next object is??
bootlebuck

nope but used to knock around occasionally with Malcome, also Harry Ross, we had an old Aunt lived in no 5 called Annie Dixon,not sure when she moved as to being told off fer sitting on wall that could well be my sister as she lived in the parlour when she first go married :?: this is getting :oops: now not a lot of hair left even less after this. :lol:
tipster

Listed as an elementary school for boys and girls in 1938. The school was nearly destroyed in the Blitz. Head in the early 1950s was apparently ‘Gunner MILLS’ (according to a chat site!). Combined with Bootle Girls’ Grammar to form Hillside High School in 1972. Premises were finally vacated in 1987 when the school moved to a new building on Breeze Hill
TONY
tipster

TONY
tipster

Sorry its an old picture from a site relating to the blitz, showing the school gates being hit, perhaps some one can do some thing with it
TONY
bootlebuck

grekko wrote:
bootlebuck wrote:
grekko wrote: Would you be Billy Hastings? or the lad I can't remember name of who lived on the opposite corner to Billy,the house had a garden wall we sat on as kids unless chased by the mum,or the lad who lived facing that house and had kept an incendiary bomb under the stairs.
Dave
bootle buck
Is it Lenny Hall?
Ron Davies did indeed live in No 3 , he was my cousin and Harry Ross(vicar of [Everton FC] St Lukes) lived in No4 directly facing where I lived No 11, a further clue before I have to send details via PM is my mothers name was Doris(Dolly) who often did small sewing jobs for neighbours. Mike Rose lived No 23next door but one to alley , Willy Ninem (money lender),lived second house in Ash St past Beech. Mrs Gilchrist lived other corner Beech/Ash street, Eddy Rothwell No5 Beech Street. Mckechnie Twins little Beech next door to Mally Makin.

any wiser now?
Dave

and the next object is??
OK Dave the game is up, my older & some say wiser sister has you sussed, as David M***** is this correct, now seem to remember you slightly,was your house the one with the privet hedge in front?? opposite Miss D or was it Wells anyway have we solved the mystery or not.
Are you still a Bootle lad or like so many of us moved out.
grekko

bootlebuck wrote:
grekko wrote:
bootlebuck wrote: Now then Grekko you have really got me worried, I know my memory is getting a bit selective these days but please help me out here, the ONLY lads I recall in Beech Street was one in I think No3 next to Wolfendens dairy Think he was a Ron surname of Davies, tother was a Harry Ross lived opposite side of Beech became a Minister, other than that canny mind anyone else, Oh & the McKay clan lived in end house next to ally,remember they had a fire in one of the bed rooms. The scary bit is how you know about the Incendry. So for the sake of my sanity give us a clue either here or a PM, no doubt my sister may see this & reconise you straight away.
bootle buck
Is it Lenny Hall?

any wiser now?
Dave

and the next object is??
OK Dave the game is up, my older & some say wiser sister has you sussed, as David M***** is this correct, now seem to remember you slightly,was your house the one with the privet hedge in front?? opposite Miss D or was it Wells anyway have we solved the mystery or not.
Are you still a Bootle lad or like so many of us moved out.
Your sister is spot on, excellent memory remembering privet hedge,Miss Dutton( I bought her house later) and the Wells's ,David M*****that's me and I still live in Bootle but on the border with Liverpool nowadays, and as far as I know Harry is still Everton's chaplain.
bootlebuck

Thanks Dave I can now get a nights sleep :lol: As to Harry I heard he retired last year, have to admit when he took up as a God Botherer I was very surprised especially going to St Matthews, if he had said Ash St that would have been more logical.
Anyway thank you fer the wee brain teaser, oh I am living a few miles from Bootle a place called Pendle.
bb

Teddy

I remember going to that school in the 1970's when it was the Quarry Road part of Hillside High School. It housed the first and second years, while years 3 to 5 were up at the larger school on Breeze Hill.

Tried looking for pics of Quarry Road and couldn't really find anything other than what has been posted.

But in the OP, it was mentioned that the photographer hung out of a window above the mtalwork classroom. Well, when I started in first year, the school prospectus had a picture on the front that was of the playground, taken from the first floor. I think it was also taken with a fish eye lens. Might this be the photo you remember being taken? This would have been 1977.
bootlebuck

I notice of all the photo's of Balliol it is allways the "POSH BIT" never the old PREFABS or the Quarry yard we had as a playground.mmmmm I wonder why.
bootlebuck :?:
billy gill

Hi, i was at Balliol Road from 1957 til 1961. I was in Mr. Pages class and Mr. Argent, i was also in Mr. Clough's too. Mr.Clough's son, John was a porter at Fazakerley Hospital but has recently retired.
w.gill
bootlebuck

billy gill wrote:Hi, i was at Balliol Road from 1957 til 1961. I was in Mr. Pages class and Mr. Argent, i was also in Mr. Clough's too. Mr.Clough's son, John was a porter at Fazakerley Hospital but has recently retired.

Hey Billy you do surprise me, I would have thought Cloughy & Argent would have retired by then, as to Mr Page one gets the impression he was the only teacher there everyone was in his class. Was the most miserable of all Geography teachers still there, he had the last classroom on the end of the prefabs nearest the dining rooms his name was TICKLE but he did'nt when he got the cane out :lol:
bootlebuck
davybaby

Sorry its an old picture from a site relating to the blitz, showing the school gates being hit, perhaps some one can do some thing with it[/quote]