sterrix lane

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

Queenie was the Mother of my Best Friend at Primary and Secondary School Jimmy Finnegan, he joined Merseyside Police.
Dan

Saw one of the Sterrix Lane cemetery cottages was up for sale 2 or 3 months ago for £85,000.

Must have passed them hundreds of times without realising they were there.

One of BobHamo's photos, earlier in the thread, shows the back view of the buildings.

Don't know if they would have been part of the original convent complex.

Also a 1915 postcard of the convent Bob posted on another thread.

Bri

I think the cottages were the homes of cemetery workers originally as they were much further along the lane than the convent. I used to deliver Sunday papers to one of them for Ashworths, I couldn’t get in and out of that little gate quick enough!
Amy1992

Hey, it was me that bought that house!! Haha!
I have been trying to find out some more history of it and of the grounds. I know that it was built in 1850 for the gravediggers.
Would love to hear any more stories/ history!
Thanks!! Amy
Dan

Amy1992 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:41 pm Hey, it was me that bought that house!! Haha!
I have been trying to find out some more history of it and of the grounds. I know that it was built in 1850 for the gravediggers.
Would love to hear any more stories/ history!
Thanks!! Amy
Welcome to the forum Amy.

Really pleased for you. Does that mean you're now available as a reserve grave digger? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope you're very happy in your new (old) home.
Ceorlman

Another picture of the Stand Park, one of Westmorland Avenue, one showing Cooksons, and one of the canal there used to be a shed for barges here.
Dan

Ceorlman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:48 pm
Photos enlarged.

The Stand Park.

Westmorland Avenue.

Cooksons

The canal there used to be a shed for barges here.

filsgreen

The hours I sat outside that pub in my Seaforth taxi, in the 80s. One of Seaforth Taxis, stands was in the small road outside of the car park.

My enduring memory was being 8th off and when it eventually got to my turn, after about an hour; I got the dreaded 69 Ryefield Lane, which went to the Queen of Peace club!

This was in 1983, the fare was 60p and the old chap used to give you a 5p tip. :D Then it was back to the stand, to be seventh or eighth off. :(
Dan

Litherland High School had some re-surfacing done 2020.

These are the aerial photos of the area.

Dan

From facebook.

Litherland Moss County Primary School, Moss Lane.

Bonesy

A good description by Bryn Parry who went to my school at Sterrix Lane. He became an author and lives around the corner me.

The author was born into the austere world of 1950's Bootle (just missing out on the delights of post-war rationing). He enjoyed a very happy childhood living in an extremely un-insulated council house with his parents and sister. His early education was undertaken at Sterrix Lane Primary in an old hut which used to be the barracks of an 'anti-aircraft battery' (somehow the structure managed to be even colder than his perma-frost bedroom). Bryn Parry's teenage years were spent swatting at Bootle Grammar School for Boys (to a soundtrack of the impeccable music of The 70's). He emerged from his 'school years' long-haired and eternally grateful to Harold Wilson for withstanding intense pressure from 'across the pond' thereby preventing him from having 'The Vietnam Experience'... Whilst engaged in 'The Higher Education Thing' the author accumulated a minimalist wardrobe plus a BEd(Hons.), MSc and PhD at Edge Hill and Liverpool University. A prolongued career as a Secondary School Teacher came to its glorious climax in 2005 with only a minor set of 'nervous twitches' as a legacy. During the few fleeting moments left unaccounted for whilst maintaining his three 'highly energy-efficient little children' Bryn Parry has managed to write some books. You might find them funny..............

Keith