Bootle carnival

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Lynk

Does anybody have any old photos of the yearly Bootle carnival? I was in a morris dancing troup as a child and cannot remember the name but would love to see photos of any morris dancing troups. I was in a Jazz band when only a little tot and the were called The Royal Ambassators and all of my mums family were in it so it would be fantastic to see some photos. So all get looking!! :D
Lynda Kelly Bootle
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tine

Hi Lynk,

welcome :)

Was this the troup that used to practice at the little churh next to Litherland library on Linacre Road? I was about six years old when I was in their junior morris dancers troup. We wore little gingham dresses and the older troup, which my two sisters were in, wore coffee coloured outfits with orange chiffon sleeves....eeeeww! The attached jazz band with the bazooka players had smarter outfits if I remember rightly. No photo's unfortunately, but lots of memories.

Tine
Campbell, Duffy, Davies, Melia, Gibson , O'Donnell, Owen and Evans Families.
daveowe

A couple of previous thread links to the Laguna Revellers Jazz Band, they played kazoo's, the sound was not unlike that which the South African World cup supporters are subjecting the world to at this moment..

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... ght=laguna
http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... ght=laguna
jean eaton

Lynk and Tine, my friend Cynthia, lived in Litherland and was in the Morris dancers. Anyone named Cynthia in your troop??
tine

Hi Jean,

I don't remember much about others in the troup. My two older sisters might though, so I'll have to ask. :)

Tine
Campbell, Duffy, Davies, Melia, Gibson , O'Donnell, Owen and Evans Families.
Eddie

tine wrote:Hi Lynk,

welcome :)

Was this the troup that used to practice at the little churh next to Litherland library on Linacre Road? I was about six years old when I was in their junior morris dancers troup. We wore little gingham dresses and the older troup, which my two sisters were in, wore coffee coloured outfits with orange chiffon sleeves....eeeeww! The attached jazz band with the bazooka players had smarter outfits if I remember rightly. No photo's unfortunately, but lots of memories.

Tine

I think the troupe who practiced in St Phillips hall were Regal, the ones who practiced in St Thomas's hall in Seaforth were Columbia.

Eddie W.
ken

I knew I had a picture somewhere and I've finally found it. On the back it says Bootle Carnival 1950. It's a Dunlop float. My aunty was working there at the time.

It's not what you might call politically correct these days but here it is....

I can't make out where it was taken though.
Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
lily8

Great photo Ken thanks :P
Lily
stevom_2009

where in liverpool was uncle tom;s cabin situated thats what is on the sign in the back ground.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
marielou

Steve, I think the sign is part of the float.

Great photo Ken.

Marie.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
stevom_2009

marie, slow on the up take there, iwill have to get my eyes tested i think. lynn i was also in a jazz band it was run by mr,and mrs rooney and we practised in the school hall i think it was st george of england where the fernhill sports centre is now. it may have been the castaways that seems to ring a bell. the ambassadors was run by a mr mac i seem to remember.i think eddy stenson, eve schofield,irene off this site may also have been a member. joey price and betty renshaw were in it as well. long time ago though i may possibly be getting mixed up. steve m.
Eddie

stevom_2009 wrote:marie, slow on the up take there, iwill have to get my eyes tested i think. lynn i was also in a jazz band it was run by mr,and mrs rooney and we practised in the school hall i think it was st george of england where the fernhill sports centre is now. it may have been the castaways that seems to ring a bell. the ambassadors was run by a mr mac i seem to remember.i think eddy stenson, eve schofield,irene off this site may also have been a member. joey price and betty renshaw were in it as well. long time ago though i may possibly be getting mixed up. steve m.

Steve it was The Castaways and they practiced in the old St Monica's school hall which was in the same place your thinking off, it was run by John & Betty Rooney, The Castways was a breakaway band from the Royal Ambassadors which was run by Frank & May McCarthy, the Royal Ambassadors in turn were a breakaway band from the Laguna Revellers.
And you are right a very good old friend of mine Eddie Stenson was in the Royal Ambassadors.

Eddie W.
stevom_2009

giving our ages away here eddie,eddie stenson lived in clifford street if memory serves me correct.the good old times we had as kids hey eddie :) :) :)
john james ingham

hi steve. yes i was in the jazz band with them the royal ambassadors was our band and we had the hall by the cemertry. i was talkin to betty and eveie at joeys funeral. and i have not seen eddie since school days. dont 4 get get the tabs 4 jackie if you can get them. cause if he passes away i will blame you ha ha. john.
stevom_2009

john i was with you mate when we were all talking.jackie gave me some tablets, pain killers john. [CO,DYDRAMHOL.]
Peter W

The photograph was taken outside Bootle Town Hall prior to the parade starting. If you look closely, you will see that the float is named "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
Regarding the best decorated horse competition.in 1927. I have a photograph of that competition in 1926.
ken

Brilliant Peter.

I'm sure you are sure. Is it because you have been able to compare the windows up high with the Town Hall ones? Now I can add where it was taken as well as the date. Ta.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more pictures.....

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
Peter W

Hi! Ken and other posters.
Glad I was able to sort out location of "Uncle Toms Cabin " float. I do have some troops which in all 14 used in my books on Bootle. Those who live on Merseyside my books can be seen in the reference section of Seftons Libraries.

Those who cannot get to the library, if they send me a PM with thier e-mail address I will send what I have got. I cannot get to grips with posting on the site.
Cheers Peter.
Styxxx

john james ingham wrote:hi steve. yes i was in the jazz band with them the royal ambassadors was our band and we had the hall by the cemertry. i was talkin to betty and eveie at joeys funeral. and i have not seen eddie since school days. dont 4 get get the tabs 4 jackie if you can get them. cause if he passes away i will blame you ha ha. john.
Laurence McCarthy here - hope that anyone reading will understand my involvement with jazz bands was pretty deep, especially the Royal Ambassadors ( I was the leader, after Tommy Renshaw who was after my sister Eileen- Practice hall was in many areas - remember Harland & Wollf, Hornby Hall, and the School by the cemetry (John Rooney was cartaker there) - I remember Joey and Marie Price (nee renshaw) Betty Renshaw and Evie Schofield, Joan Gregory (nee Stenson) Eddy Stenson
Tony Ball, Stan Hoye, Billy Coleman, Noreen Williams, Beryl McGaragh,
Eric Mangan (ex laguna) - So many faces and so many fond memories.

james - if the Joey you refer to in the post is Joey Price then my heart goes out - l will ensure Stan Hoye is ware of this loss as he Eddy and Joey where great friends at one time.

Anyone wants to remeber old times with the RACDB post and I will reply
If it aint broke leave it alone
john james ingham

yes mate it was joey. we use to meet up every few weeks with a couple of lads from school and have a few pints and talk about the old days. and then he was not showin up.we were phonein him and no answer and then we were told he had died. it was so sad. john.
Styxxx

john james ingham wrote:yes mate it was joey. we use to meet up every few weeks with a couple of lads from school and have a few pints and talk about the old days. and then he was not showin up.we were phonein him and no answer and then we were told he had died. it was so sad. john.
John - Thanks mate - will be a sad loss I have fond memories of Joey and Marie - laurie
If it aint broke leave it alone
davybaby

North Park in the backround? Darn that Horsemuck!

Dan

Bootle Carnival July 10 1964.