St James

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
cadfael

Finally found how to get to this church after circling every side road to meet a dead end!

Last edited by cadfael on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOBO

Great picture tI have fond memories and sad memories of St James I was christened, lst confession, lst communion, confirmed, married in this church, the same with my daughter except for the wedding,all of my 8 Sisters were married there and my brother and sadly we buried my mum, dad, and my 2 brothers there.
john james ingham

me to jobo my school my church first confession communion confirmed and baptished and mothers and grandmothers funural there. john.
Eddy Lloyd

Likewise guys. I have sad and happy memories of St James. Family weddings and funerals. All too recently it's been funerals of friends. :cry:
john james ingham

eddie i was there again yesterday another mate passed away thats about 7 in 6 months. john.
Eddy Lloyd

Sorry to hear John.
fatboyjoe90

Brilliant photo Cadfael,
Like the rest of you baptised /confession /communion and funerals some sad and happy memories.
Cheers Joe.
Prospice

Does anybody know if you can still go up the church tower ? When I was a pupil in St James, 1983-1990, I remember being about 9 or 10 years old and climbing the spiral staircase, then up a ladder, past the huge bells and then arrived at the top of the church. At that age I didn't really appreciate the views from up there, and would love to get up there again. The church could make some money for essential maintenance if it were to charge, say once a month, to go up the tower.
stevom_2009

same here baptised,holy communion.but married in st john and st james monfa road.remember father kennedy, every so often come into our classroom and say you,you,and you 4 over there to the church now. he would have 3 or 4 ringing the bells, other 2-3 outside he would have his 2 retreivers at his side when the bells rang all the pigeons would fly out of the tower and he would shoot them out of the sky with his shot gun.cruel or what for a man of the cloth. cadfael 4 weeks ago going to meet mates at st james for the funeral of our school mate joey price. walking into balfour rd saw 2 lads in a car talking to someone and pointing to st james,asked if i could help, they were going to joes funeral, so i got in and showed the way.you can practically touch the church were they were but as you said all the streets blocked off to marsh ln
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
CathieB

My mum and dad were married there back in the 1950's (I'm guessing) and my son received his first communion there in the 1980's.
Cathie Black (nee Murphy), formerly of Menai Road, Bootle, now in North Carolina, USA

www.fredcat.net
cadfael

Health and Safety would have a fit these days with people going up church towers. I've done it for the last 25 years and been in most places in Liverpool but on church open days now, if you can't walk up just a spiral staircase then its ruled out.

There are 9 bells in total at St James, the chime of 8 with the heaviest bell weighing in at 23cwt (over a ton) and the bourdon bell weighing in at 30cwt.

Inscription on the bells:

Treble: GEMMA GALGANI

2. BERNADETTE

Flat 2nd: THE LITTLE FLOWER

3. ST. PATRICK

4. ST ANTHONY

5. ST JOSEPH

6. ST JAMES

7. OUR LADY OF THE LOVED

Tenor: THIS PEAL OF BELLS
WAS ERECTED TO THE
MEMORY OF THE LATE
CANON KELLY THE
RECTOR OF ST. JAMES
neilevo

we had my dads funeral at St James 2 years ago, he was from Marsh Lane (byron st ), his name was John Evans, I would be made up if anybody knew him or had any pics to put on,
Many Thanks, Neil Evo
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Neil,
Welcome to the site.
I was born just around the corner opp St.Joans, I,ve a vague memory of your family name.
Eddy Lloyd from this site lived on Knowsley Road, he,s on holiday at the moment but I would bet he knew your Dad.
How old was your Dad Neil ? me and Eddy L are both 60, I will also ask my sister Kathleen and brother Eddie who are 66 and 65.
Also which school did he go to.

Best wishes
Sheelagh
neilevo

hi Sheelagh,

Thanks for the reply, my Dad was born in 1954, he was 54yrs old when he died in 2008, he had a large family, his brothers were all older than him,Davy, Vic, Richie, Tommy, and his sisters were Mary, Margaret, they were also older than him,
I recognise a lot of members names from story's me dad used to tell me, hopefully i might get a couple back, maybe even some pictures, my mum is 55 now, her name was Susan McKenna, now Evans, and she was also from Marsh Lane.

Thanks again, Neil Evo
neilevo

HI sheelagh, meant to say he went to St Joans, i think all of his family did :) , his mothers name was Katherine ( kate ) and his father was also called John,
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Neil,

I Havn,t spoken to my sister yet but will on Saturday so will ask her then. In the meantime I,ve sent a pm to Bootlelad Ray from the site he was from Addison Street and may remember some of the older brothers and sisters.

Sheelagh
neilevo

Hi Sheelagh,
Much appreciated, this is a great site you have, some of the stories i've read are hilarious, thanks again,
Neil Evo
Eddy Lloyd

Hi Neil I've been on hols so didn't see your post, Sheelagh contacted me and told me about it. Your uncle Richie is a member on this site. I used to knock around with him as a kid and also went to St Joans. If you look under memberslist you should find him there. Here is his link:

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/pr ... ile&u=1907
Dan

Celebrating the 50 year jubilee of the opening of the new church in Chesnut Grove on February 7 1886.

1936 Marsh Lane.

1936 Boreland Street.

john j connell

In the top picture where the four men are standing in the road (outside of the Alex (Toolans) pub is the part of Marsh Lane at the top of Audley Street. 3 or 4 of the shops (by the gas lamp were destroyed during the blitz. JJC.
Dan

The church interior.