'The Blitz in Bootle: 80 Years On’ exhibition Bootle New Strand 26/11/2021

Post here about news - events - jobs
Mack
Site Admin

The Blitz in Bootle: 80 Years On’ exhibition launches at Bootle Strand Shopping Centre.

Sefton Library Service are unveiling a new exhibition titled ‘The Blitz in Bootle: 80 Years On’ at the town’s Strand Shopping Centre on Friday 26th November 2021.

More info from the link below...

https://www.explore-liverpool.com/the-b ... ng-centre/

Mack
Arthur Leek

Any news of special constable No73 Arthur Leek . Spc Arthur Leek No 73 was injured by some thing which fell from the sky and exploded in Peel Road Bootle
3rd May 1941. I have medical reports and a damaged pocket torch to prove this incident took place.

Posted by A.J.Leek tel 0151 924 9411
A.J.L
ALAMO2008

My Dad was 16 Yr old Cylcist Fire Brigade Volunteer Messenger on Duty based in the Linacre Mission with his Fellow Mate on Duty - Sonny Ross
When the Match Works Opposite the Street was Blitzed that night and Exploded

I have a VHS Video of an Interview with my Dad recalling what happened that night.

He went out on his Bicycle taking Messages during the Bombs Falling and took Messages to the Town Hall and other Fire Tenders already to change the Priority Orders of the Fires being attended.

Dad said he was Recommended for an Award but it was awarded to another Cyclist in their Team of Volunteer Lads
He couldn't remember his Name

But I recently discovered who it was:-

Ronald Heys

BOBHAMO

Welcome A J Leek
i have had a good look around
but not come up with his name
i have found a site with details of bombing in the local area
will try and get 1941
http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/awards1941.html
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Taken from the site report for the old English Electric factory on Dunnings Bridge Road.

Attack Records. Records show that the district was not subjected to aerial bombardment
during WW1. Source German Air Raids on Britain 1914-1918 Joseph Morris. However, during WW2
bombing raids were mounted on the district. The enemy aircraft came under attack from
the anti-aircraft guns situated to protect the district. Accounts of WW2 bombing raids show
that the German bombing of Merseyside started in the autumn of 1940 with sporadic
attacks increasing in frequency and intensity towards the end of the year. By the 23rd
October 1940 the district had been subjected to 200 air raids. During this early period of
the war the heaviest single raid occurred on 3rd December 1940, when 180 people were
killed in a direct hit on an air raid shelter in central Liverpool. By 12th December 1940, the
total number of air raids had reached 300. The level of attacks diminished in the early part
of 1941, with three raids recorded in January and two raids in February. This was due to, a
combination of poor weather conditions and the conservation of German resources in the
build up to a major bombing offensive against Merseyside planned for the May of 1941.
From March the bombing intensity increased reaching a climax in May during which time a
1741 people were killed and 1154 people were seriously injured during a single week of
raids. At least 2315 HE bombs, 119 Parachute Mines and possibly 10’s of thousands of
incendiary sub-munitions were dropped during the same 7 day period. During the period of
the bombing 2716 people were killed in Liverpool, 442 people in Birkenhead, 409 people
in Bootle and 332 people in Wallasey. In addition to the appalling toll in human life, the net
result was the devastation of Liverpool and widespread damage across the rest of
Merseyside. Notable incidents included
a. 2nd May 1941: Bootle and surrounding area subjected to a heavy raid, targets
included Balliol, Knowsley and Bedford Road, with over 200 people being rendered
homeless.
b. 3rd May 1941: Bootle and surrounding area subjected to a heavy raid, 57 people
killed, over 200 homes destroyed, 400 seriously damaged, with a further 3,000
sustaining minor damaged.
c. 4th May 1941: Bootle attacked resulting in the widespread destruction of housing and
industrial property. Intensive anti-aircraft barrage prevented accurate bombing.
d. 7th May 1941: Bootle subjected to the heaviest raid to date. Large areas destroyed
Stanley Road, Rimrose Road and Southport Road sustained significant damage,
most of the areas industrial buildings suffered major damage, 57 people were killed
in Bootle.
e. 7th May 1941: Litherland subjected to bombing raid/s. Significant damage was
sustained including strikes on Linacre Road and Violet Road and the destruction of
the Bryant and May factory. The death toll for Litherland was placed at 16.
Last edited by Dan on Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALAMO2008

70 Years after this Blitz 20 December 1940 and 150 Miles Away

A Travelling Book Salesman leaves at Reception at our Office for the Staff to browse through the selection of Books left to order one or more for them or families for Christmas

One I picked up left to look at - was an Imperial War Museum Annual about WW2 Blitz in the UK
Inside with the large Photos were pages containing Pouches with Examples of Real Items of the War such as Ration Card and an I D Card and a Typed Report of an Air Raid somewhere not Mentioned which City

As I Read the Air Raid Report - the Hairs went Up on my Neck

I remembered my Mum was Born and lived off Marsh Street she went to Westminster Road
Her elder Sister had given birth in 1935 to her 1st Son Donald just up the Road at 24 Marsh Street
But she left it Unoccupied in 1939 when her Husband went to War and her and the Baby to live with her Husband's Parents in Walton
15 Yr old Mum and Widowed Mother in Malcolm Grove off Marsh Street
I remember telling me years before that she as a kid was Blitzed before Christmas and was rehoused that led to Mum meeting Dad in the Walnut Tree

So what I was Randomly Reading Now was a Report of an Event that Fate led to a series of things that led to My Creation and I was Reading that piece of History.

Weird - Small World?