horseboat passage

Post here about news - events - jobs
smoked out

The boat pictured ELLAND will soon be passing through Maghull , Netherton , Bootle ect on the way to liverpool , the boat will do the trip under horse power , not often to be seen on our local stretch of canal so it may be of interest to some people .

The Horseboating Society www.horseboating.org.uk are the people who are organising the trip and the site may have info soon about the actual days they will pass through our area.
They are always interested in comments or photographs they could use on thier website or for publicity purposes , they can be sent to enquiries@horseboating.org.uk , the are at present talking to British Waterways about the possibility for a photo shoot on the Liverpool Link close to the Liver Building .
The horse and the boat have over the last few days been at Burscough Wharf event on show to the public but the horse had gone to overnight at local farm when i passed so never got a pic of it to post.
The formidable Sue Day the organiser prints the following-
COULD YOU COME AND CREW WITH US?
NEW CREW MEMBERS ALWAYS WELCOME!
TRAINING PROVIDED.
I have seen these people around several canals keeping the horseboating traditions alive and they do seem to have a great time doing it.
kenswayken

I can't ever remember seeing horse drawn barges on the Cut when we were kids in Ford during the 50's. Thanks Smoked. K :wink:
Bonesy

Nice one Smoked, I would like to see that, but nothing up to date on the website.

Keith
Rabbit

Great. Any idea exactly when it will be passing through?
smoked out

Will try and find out the days of passage , the lady off the boat was trying to find overnight stops that could help with the stabling of the horse before she could finalise the trip dates.
The last horse i remember pulling a boat through to liverpool was called queenie and after that trip she underwent major surgery at a world beating vetinary service for horses on merseyside , she recovered from the surgery "colic related " but then unfortunatly injured herself during the recuperation and has since been in retirement .

Pic may be near hall lane maghull , Queenie during the Coal and Cotton rally.
Maureeng

Lovely photo's smoked out, my friend had a long boat and we had good times on her,it would be a great experience to be a crew member would,'nt it? :)
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Smoked,

Moved this over to our Bootle community news section with it being Bootle related news. The original post is also still in our Gallery section too.

Mack
lily8

Great pics thanks Smoked I would love to do a trip with them.
Lily
bootlejoy

Wish I could see it, but hopefully someone will take photo's and post on here.
I can remember seeing horses pull boats along the canal when I was a kid.

Joy
Joy, Berry St, Bootle, now Perth, West Australia
smoked out

The horseboat is still moored at Burscough wharf and it may still be going to make the passage through Bootle into Liverpool , i have not been able to speak to the lady who is hoping to do it but i will post if i find out it is happening.

Another heritage boat KENNET -Kennet will also be opened to the public in Salthouse Dock, Liverpool, on the 11/12 August - worth having a gander at , restored recently and on a tour , more info about the boat and the canal here-
http://www.llcs.org.uk/ LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL CANAL SOCIETY

I am wondering if the horseboat is waiting to go through to Liverpool with KENNET.
smoked out

This boat left Burscough yesterday being pulled by horse and it was overnighting at Haskayne last night , it may be passing through Lydiate/Maghull today or tomorrow . i have been told that it will go through to liverpool on tuesday from Litherland services (RED LION BRIDGE ) , the boat will be towed by the horse for the trip and i have been told the horse will be used to take the boat down the flight of locks before the boat goes into Stanley dock , the Horse Boating Society use the old technique,s of boatmen , the crew are dressed in the fashion .
Might get better timings later .
42aitch

Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
PeterR

kenswayken wrote:I can't ever remember seeing horse drawn barges on the Cut when we were kids in Ford during the 50's. Thanks Smoked. K :wink:
Sorry that You missed seeing horse drawn barges when you were a boy ,Ken , it was great sight , the horse was led along by a lad and the bargee was at the tiller steering, when they were approaching a swing bridge the lad would run on ahead and turn the bridge , swing it back on and then run on and catch up as if he wasnt quick enough the horse would stop and munch on the grass and the bargee would be very upset .I remember seeing a barge tied up at Cooksons Pub , the bargee was in having a pint and the lad was sitting talking to the horse.
As kids we used to swim in the canal at the humpback stone bridge at the bottom of Gorsey Lane -I know that area was built out in the 50s but I wonder is the bridge still there.
Regrds
PeterR
Born in Spenser Street
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
PeterR

Thanks Bob for posting the pictures of Cooksons bridge and pub its very kind of You, however its the bridge over canal at what was THEN Gorsey Lane that I referred to but no worries .
Mates and I were swimming along there one time when a young couple came along and took a photograph of us all -no cossise in just our underpants -I thought that it was great that we were having picture taken so I gave them my address to send the picture to, a few weeks later I walked in from school and my Mam was holding this picture demanding to know who took it and where it was we had been swimming-to cut a story short -once again I got smacked all around the house for being there and swimming in the cut-and for telling lies as I was supposed to have been at church Sunday School.
Regards
PeterR
Born in Spenser Street
Kathy John Moorcroft

Peter. :lol: :lol:

I remember falling in the canal by Field Lane.
My mate took me home and said to my Mum "she fell in"

I got no sympathy, she hit me while telling me to wait till my father got home.

Great pics.

Kathy.
Bootlelass-expat

I remember seeing the horse drawn barges on the canal, mainly between Dunnings Bridge Rd going towards Maghull, or the other direction going to Netherton Village.

Loved to watch the swingbridge at Browns Lane being opened and closed so they could get thru.

Those were the days I could run across Dunnings Bridge Rd and not worry about traffic, a long, long time ago ha ha
(But somedays only seems like a couple of years ago)

Thanks to posters for bringing back lovely memories.

Doreen
peacock

you could run around Dunning Bridge Road all you want over the past few days as its been shut (southbound) due to a water main burst, its caused traffic chaos all around the area
DaveM