lea family from Beatrice Street

Find Bootle friends and family here
Jan

:D

Thanks Lily,

I can only find these two on lancsbmd

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1904
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
LEWIS Jane E JONES Price West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/210/117

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1910
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
LEWIS Jane JONES James C West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/265/81

Jan
lily8

Thanks Jan I will have a look at the 2nd one now in 1911
Lily
Thommos sister

Tough one for you Lily in 1911.
I looked at deaths for Price Jones but they were far too old to have been Jane's hubby.
There is a death for a Wm C but it's Prescot 1912.
Not much help, sorry.
There a few Jones/Lewis births in Free BMD all after 1911 census.

T.S
lily8

Like looking for a needle in a haystack, under Jane a couple of possibles but though they say married 1 year husband not at home so hard to say if the are the one/s??? Frederick Brown same story??? hopefully other cert will come soon.
Lily
Jan

:D :D

Just a bit of update on the Lea family.

I checked out the marriage at LRO for Thomas Lea to Susannah Jones 1906

St Paul's North Shore Kirkdale

4th June 1906 Thomas Lea age 23 batchelor - Sawyer 42 Macbeth Street father Thomas Lea - Painter

Susannah Jones Spinster age 18 32 Rosalind Street father John Jones - Labourer

Witnesses : William George Lea
Sarah Curran

I am unable to locate Susannah in 1901 and I have looked in Rosalind Street and they are not there!

Jan
Thommos sister

Hi Jan
Thanks for marriage info.
I tried to find her in 1891 with no luck, tried variants of her name e.g. Annie/Hannah.
1911 Gores they were not at 32 Rosalind or in 1894.

T.S :roll:
Jan

Further update on Graham's father Thomas John Lea.

Born 3rd Feb 1909 48 Macbeth Street father Thomas Lea - Sawyer mother Susannah Lea formerly Jones.

Still no sign of Susannah anywhere in census.

Jan
Anne Winter

Jan wrote::D

Yes Sorry Lily,

The name on the index is Eveline S Brown oct-dec 1940 - Thomas J Lea registered in Bootle.
Jan

HI I have been following this and i seem to remeber the name' Brown
i could be wrong but did one marry into the Taffe family as i seem to remeber the mother of ''Muareen and Jimmy Taffe 'who lived in PineGrove
about the same time as me from 1937/66 was a Brown befor her marriage
dont know if that is any help Annne
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
lily8

There is a possible for Susanah Jones in 1901 with a widowed mother Elizabeth and siblings right age will post if its thought relevant.
Lily
Anne Winter

lily8 wrote:There is a possible for Susanah Jones in 1901 with a widowed mother Elizabeth and siblings right age will post if its thought relevant.

hi again she would have born around 1910 as she apeard to be about ten years younger than my mother who was born 1899.
hope its a help Anne
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
lily8

The Susanah we are looking for was born 1888 approx ?????
Lily
Jan

:lol:

I am still looking into the Brown/Lea family.

I found a Frederick Brown in the 1938 Directory 12 Hughes Drive - Ships Rigger.

Marriage of Thomas John Lea - Eveline Susie Brown Dec 21 1940 St John & James Bootle

Thomas John Lea 31 (can't make his occ out) looks like Rivet or River ? 4 Aughton Road father Thomas Lea - Sawyer (deceased)

Eveline Susie Brown age 19 12 Hughes Drive father Frederick Brown - Ships Rigger (deceased).

Witnesses were Edward James Lea and Dorothea Brown.

Graham has told me that Frederick Brown was born in The West Indies, no idea when he came to Liverpool.

I have found a death of a Frederick Brown registered Bootle 1936 age 51, but no idea if it's Eveline's father.

I know the directories were put together a year or so before they were published so it may be out of date by the time it went to print.

Jan
Jan

The only person I can find on a ship that fits age and destination is this.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 about Frederick Brown
Name: Frederick Brown
Birth Date: abt 1885
Port of Departure: Durban, South Africa
Arrival Date: 17 Jan 1916
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: East London, Port Elizabeth [Algoa Bay], Cape Town, Madeira, Plymouth
Ship Name: Galway Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Galway Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number: 132616

Jan
billy lea

grahamlea wrote:anyone knowing my Father Thomas John Lea of Beatrice Street or his Father of 31 Macbeth Street, Kirkdale please get in touch, would also welcome any information about my mother Evelyn Susan Brown who had four sons, Frederick, Kenneth, Paul ( Keith) and Graham ( Colin).
Looking forward to replys
Graham
Hi Graham my dad was from Beatrice st is name was Edward lea i think we could be cousins
janinewa

Hi Graham and Billy,

I have been doing much research on my family tree as my Mother is a Lea and I really believe you are all cousins as all addresses and names match up. The problem with the 1911 census is it does not acknowledge the other two brothers that were born afterwards, only Thomas and Edward. Doing research and speaking to my Mum we have records of an Owen Lea who was born in 1917 to Susannah and Thomas Lea (senior) and Peter Lea (my Mother's Dad) born 1919. We know Peter died in 1954 as we have his death certificate and we also have photographs and certificate of his marriage to Sheila Crowther in 1951 of which Edward Lea was best man and signed as a witness.

If anyone has any contact details for Graham or Billy can you please pass them onto myself as 2010 was a long time ago and unsure if they still visit this site.
billy lea

Hello Jan it was Graham who was searching i just replyed but i did remember your dad Peter when i was very young but i always thought he moved to Southort when he married your mum. Billy
janinewa

Hi Billy,

Thank you for replying. Peter Lea was my Grandad who died when my Mum was 2 months old and your right he married my Nan Sheila in Southport. The reason for searching is my Mum and Auntie (both living) were loosely told by Sheila that they might have had a half brother called Peter and they would like to know what became of him. I have been doing some research using ancestry and other online sources and I have found that there was a Peter Lea born in 1947 in Bootle to a Florence Lea (nee Price) and I have found the marriage certificate of Florence Price and Peter Lea who wed in 1946 in Bootle so assuming this is no coincidence I believe they have a half brother out there they have never met. Unfortunately the trail ends there as I am unable to find what happened to Peter Lea junior after Florence died in 1950 and Peter in 1954. I have looked at address records thinking maybe he went to live with Susannah Lea or some of the Price family but have come up at a dead end and have even tried child migrant records for Australia, Canada and South Africa as it was rife but again have come up blank. The fact is there is no death record so I have hope he is out their somewhere and would appreciate any information that could fill in the blanks.

Thanks again
Janine
billy lea

Hello Jan it was my dad Edward James who was Peters best man we lived in 4 Aughton Rd ill ask my brother if he knew what happened to Peter jr as he is older and may remember, take care Billy
billy lea

Hi Jan i spoke to my brother he seems to remember that Peter was taken by the Bradleys not the Prices but why was he not taken to Southport i wonder,my brother said Peter jr rang him up 25 years ago for some information ,he asked my mother and she said dont get involved so he left it at that.He said he lived in either St helens or Haydock , ill keep trying for you if i find enything regards Billy lea
janinewa

Hi Billy,

I have found a Peter Lea currently living in St Helen's who matches the age range but unsure if it is him. My mum does not even though much about her dad peter senior as Sheila never once spoke of him after he died which I find weird. It is also rather upsetting to know peter junior never lived with them when his dad remarried. I wonder if the wedding photos we have there is a little boy which I believe is Edward's son as hes always pictured with Edward and looks about 7 or 8 so it could be you or your brother but it is sad to see Sheilas family takes up half the church and Peter's only 1 row so I assume something happened to create a divide.

Thank you for getting back to me it would just be nice for my mum to find out more about her dad and half brother and for me to find out more about my family
janinewa

Hi Billy,

I am just curious who the Bradley's were as we have not come across that name researching. Where they related?

Kind regards
Janine
billy lea

Hello Janine ive been in touch with my brother and he his convinced that the Bradleys had him from a very early age {months} they lived in Park street which was only around the corner really ,he dosnt know why. But i to remember the Bradley name when i was younger, and my brother seems to think that the Lea family thought Peter got married to soon after his wife had died hence the small turn out when he married your gran Shelia were only assuming this Janine. Maybe you could try and find the Peter Lea jr telephone no in St Helens and just try him its a long shot, is it possible you could add the photo of the wedding also Janine were do you and your mum and aunt live now take care Billy Lea
janinewa

Hi Billy,

I made that assumption as well as he only remarried a year after florence died and also maybe because for whatever reason Peter junior was left behind. Saying that if he was only months old at the time when living with the Bradley's suggests this happened while Florence was still alive so it gets even more puzzling. My mum (Judy) and I both live in Southport and my Auntie (Alison) lives in Kirby. Do you want me to upload wedding photos on here? As I can do when I next see my mum. It would be interesting to know who some people are as I think Owen is pictured and as I say I think the boy is either you or a brother (I ruled it out being Peter junior as he looks older than 4). There again I could be wrong.

Again I appreciate you helping me
Regards janine
janinewa

Hi Billy,

Spent the night researching and we think we have found the Bradley's that's if we have the right ones. We have found a Joan Bradley, had sisters Marjorie and Barbara, who lived in Park Street who we believe married a George Lea. As for George he was born to a mother with the surname Jones so it could be just a pure coincidence but is there a possibility Susannah had another child in the early 20s after Peter, and George was in fact the fifth child? Again just speculation and putting 2 and 2 together from the info we have

Kind regards
Janine
billy lea

Hello Janine your right about Joan Bradley she married our uncle George Lea he was the youngest in the family he died about 1962 he came to see my mam in Aughton Road for a chat and died 4 weeks later . His mom was Susanha Lea Nee Jones, so ma be they did have Peter jr, .They also had a sister Martha who married Alfred Brown and they had a daughter Eileen and the lived with are grandmother Susanha Lea ,that was in Dorset St. I dont think that George and Joan had any children of there own, Owen lea had 4 Thomas Lea had 4 Edward my dad had 4 but young all of the Lea family died realativly young. But we are still non the wiser about Peter jr were he lives, you could email a copy off the wedding to me at billylea123@aol.com if you dont mind Janine ill show them to my brother, tell your mum that i live in Hesketh Park with my wife Agnes we may have walked past each other on Lord St take care Billy Lea
janinewa

Hi Billy,

We literally started this from scratch and hit so many brick walls that you were able to fill in so I appreciate you filling in the blanks and giving us that extra information that will now help us research. I was in Hesketh park yesterday with my 7 month old son (my only child) as I live in Sussex Road and I actually work across the road from the park in a care home so chances are we have walked passed each other at some stage. Similarly, my Mum frequents the park with her dog and has lived in southport her whole life. I am hoping to see my Mum tomorrow so I will have access to the wedding photos. I can also download and email your our copy of the Lea family tree that we have put together on ancestry if you would like as it may provide you with new names and possible relations.

I will email you tomorrow
Kind regards
Janine
griffo

I’m reading through these posts and I have some of the Leas in my family tree which tie in with some of the information detailed on here.
Edward Lea born 1865 Waterworks Street
Thomas Lea born 1853 married Sarah Ellen Smith lived 57 Beatrice Street 1911 census
Many other of the Lea family in my tree but too many to detail

I’ve read the thread but I’m not really sure if everything now sorted.

It’s a while ago since last posting but just picked this up
Tlea

Looking for my grandmother, Martha lea she had 3 children with Patrick Williams, I don't have much information on her as my mother was adopted, she was most likely born in the 1930s
She moved to London.