The Magoolaghan Family

Find Bootle friends and family here
duvessa

Hi I am compiling my family tree and know that a Joseph Magoolaghan lived in Bootle. If anybody has any information on the family I would be grateful.

I am also looking for details on family graves in Ford Cemetary for the Sullivan family from Keble Road Bootle.

The names are Thomas or Tommy Sullivan
John Sullivan
Wife of John Elizabeth Sullivan died in 1962 aged 82
Maybe another Elizabeth Sullivan also died in her 80s and she died about 1982/5.

This is a wonderful community site, I didnt live in Bootle but had family there but love the memories, keep it up!

Duvessa
Jan

:lol:

Hi Duvessa,

Welcome to the site,

Can you give a time frame for Joseph Magoolaghan?

I found this in 1911,

MURPHY, PATRICK HEAD SINGLE M 26 SHIPS STEWARD LANCASHIRE LIVERPOOL
MAGOOLAGHAN, ANASTATIA SISTER WIDOW F 33 LANCASHIRE LIVERPOOL
MAGOOLAGHAN, JOSEPH PATRICK SON M 5 SCHOOL LANCASHIRE LIVERPOOL
MAGOOLAGHAN JOSEPH PATRICK (RG14PN22475 RG78PN1323 RD455 SD6 ED32 SN100)
Address 1 LEITH TERRACE KIRKDALE LIVERPOOL County Lancashire
District West Derby Subdistrict Kirkdale
Enumeration District 32 Parish Kirkdale

I have found marriages (was Joseph married twice?)

I can't post the details on the open forum because of the time frame.

Ford Cemetery registers would have to be looked up at the records office in Liverpool or Crosby Library.

I used to live in Keble Road (but not for very long) I will ask the people I know from the area if they know the name Sullivan.

Hope that helps a bit.

jan
sheila

Hi

Joe Magoo was in the Bootle police, maybe Peter Woolley would help you.

Sheila
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

hi duvessa welcome to the site, bobhamo , hear are a few,
Henry MAGOOLAGHAN Head M Male 45 Ireland Stoker In Gas Works
Mary MAGOOLAGHAN Wife M Female 38 Ireland
William MAGOOLAGHAN Son Male 12 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Scholar
Patrick MAGOOLAGHAN Son Male 7 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Scholar
James MAGOOLAGHAN Son Male 5 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Scholar
Mary A. MAGOOLAGHAN Daur Female 4 Liverpool, Lancashire, England
James KERWIN Boarder U Male 43 Ireland Dock Laborer

Source Information:
Dwelling 15 Menai St
Census Place Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Family History Library Film 1341863
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 3603 / 80
Page Number 88
this is 1881
also mary lived at 102 stanley road 1900
and patrick 29 anthony street 1900
cant find any 1938 or 1949, hope this helps ,
bootle born altcar road
Jan

:D

Hi Duvessa,

Still waiting for you to reply.

This is from another post Ed has put a list of names from St John's Road from the 1962 directory.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All
Just a few names to jog the memory

St Johns Road 1962

2/6 Metal cleaning Ltd Metal cleaners
10 Smith Jn.Thos
12 Magoolaghan Jsph
14 Reynolds Mrs. Rosina
16 Fletcher Wm
20 Smith Thos
22 Liadlow Fredk
24 Crichton Mrs
28 Scott Wm
30 McSorley Wm
32 Mahoney Mrs. Ellen
34 Gibbs Jas
38 Rooney Peter
40 Rogers Jn
42 Travis Wm
46 Marshall Fredk
48 Ewart Jas

St John's Terrace
4 Keogh Patrick
6 Preston Mrs. Kate
8 Coughlin Jsph
10 Daley C
12 Rooney Mrs. Mary Shopkpr

St. John's Road County Primary School

Jan
duvessa

Hi everyone and thank you to Jan, Sheila, Bob & Peter for replying, and to Thommos sister for the email to tell me to log back on as you had left details on the site. I have been away.

Henry that you mentioned was my paternal great great grandfather and mary was his wife. I have those details as part of my search.

Patrick Magoolaghan was his third son and he married twice his first wife Jane smith died along with one of their daughters (3) around 1900/1.

I dont know how yet. He remarried Anastatia Murphy a year or two later and had a son Joseph Patrick. Patrick Magoolaghan drowned mysteriously in Alexandria Egypt in 1907 going overboard on his ship. I have the inquest details from the National Archives.

Joseph Patrick then lived in Bootle, I do know there was an Anthony Magoolaghan I think his grandson died in 1999 aged 29 and he was married with a child. I dont know the details, I picked it up from Ancestry.Co.UK. They were showing the in the Crosby phone book for some years but I cant find anything now.

I have picked up all the strands of the Magoolaghans and been in touch with them to give them the family history and have some in Yorkshire, Oxford, New York, California, Canada, all originate from 2 brothers in Ireland Co. Down. Henry came over to Liverpool and worked as a stoker in the gas works and lived in Menai Street and married Mary Ann Kelly also from Ireland in 1867, her Father was James and mother Elizabeth.

I have been trying to trace the Kellys, ( needle in a haystack) to find out where they were from in Ireland and trace them there. I also do not have any definate proof from the Irish records of where Henry was actually born I know his father was Patrick and they all seem to come from Tyrella in Co. Down. Sorry I digress, I am passionate about completing this tree for my parents 60th Wedding Anniversary next August God willing.

Meanwhile the last two strands of living Magoolaghans to trace are Joseph Patricks family on Merseyside and some decendents of Johns in Australia, no luck there at the moment.

Thank you for all of your input and interest, I was amazed to get an email from ex Bootle chap in New York trying to help. I have told my old neighbour abour your site and he has passed it on to his pal in Australia who lived in Bootle and remninices (sorry about spelling) about his childhood.

Bye for now and thanks again

Duvessa
Jan

:D

Hi Duvessa,

Thanks for posting all the info.

I found this death reg.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
about Jane Magoolaghan
Name: Jane Magoolaghan
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Year of Registration: 1901
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 26
District: West Derby
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 329

There were others in the same year and quarter (children) and a little girl age 4 registered in Toxteth.

Jan
42aitch

Joe McGoolaghan, the former policeman died 3-4 years ago. His wife is still alive and living in Crosby last time I heard.

I have sent you a PM

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
Thommos sister

Hi Duvessa
I'm not sure if you have seen this link about Magoolaghan surname, lots of great reading.
Cheers
T.S
http://www.genealogylocator.com/search. ... agoolaghan
Thommos sister

Me again :)
Not sure if this is one of your family
Marriage St Polycarp Everton 26/12/1897
James Mag.....22yrs father Henry
Frances Armstrong 20yrs father Thomas.

T.S
Thommos sister

Hi
The James I mentioned above is in 1901 census, someone has sent an error in for his surname to Anc##
Could be worth a look and contact.
Transcribed as Magsolaghan.
gasworks labr bn Lpool, in the courts in Cranmer St.

Cheers
T.S :D
oriel55

duvessa wrote:I am also looking for details on family graves in Ford Cemetary for the Sullivan family from Keble Road Bootle.

The names are Thomas or Tommy Sullivan
John Sullivan
Wife of John Elizabeth Sullivan died in 1962 aged 82
Maybe another Elizabeth Sullivan also died in her 80s and she died about 1982/5.Duvessa
I used to know a Mrs Sullivan who lived in Keble Road in the early 1960s. She had at least two sons, possibly three. One son may have been a priest, another had a merchant navy conection. This Mrs Sullivan emigrated to Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, possibly about 1963.
Thommos sister

Hi Duvessa
Just reading back on your reply.
I suspect James I've listed, census & marriage is one of Henry's.
Gas works labr too.
Good to read about USA connection & Bootle chap in Aus.
Keep us posted.

Woo Hoo :D
Got them in 1891 census......(shucks I hope you haven't got this already)
200 Athol St Lpool (off Gt Howard St close to Goodwood St)
Henry 55 stoker gas works, Mary 48 both bn Ire
Patrick 18, JAMES 15 both labrs flour mill
Mary A 14 bagmender/canvas
John 9 scholar all born Lpool.
Transcribed as Magootaghan

I've sent an error report to Anc##

T.S
Thommos sister

1881 courtesy of Mormons, and Bob H,the surname is correct :D
As you know that's the Menai St addie.
There's a Wm 12 bn Lpool.
Just for the genies
Henry is transcribed as Mary McGillian in 1871 :oops:
A correction has been sent.
with birthplace of Tyrella Co Down.
There's also Andrew 10mnths as well as Wm.

T.S

added I think Andrew's birth in june qtr Lpol 1870 is as McGullighan
and the little fella died in 1871 aged 1 yr jul/sep qtr Lpool. God love him.
Thommos sister

Lo tis me again :)
Mary A 14 in 1891
marriage 1898 to John Walsh W Dby R.O or registrar attended (probably R.C marriage) record in Lancs BMD.
1901 census courts 5/6 Cranmer St (where brother James was)
Mary A Walsh 24 bn Lpool, John 24 gas works stoker
HENRY 2 yrs, John 5mnths all bn Lpool.

T.S
Thommos sister

1911 James is there with wife Frances
little Frances & Mary from 1901.
could have added James jr & Josephine.
Residence Lpool.
This is using their freebie look ups.

T.S
duvessa

Thank you so much, I thought I had found everything but you guys are amazing. Thank you thommos sister, the Magootaghan is one variation I hadnt found and the fact they were working in a flour mill is definately news. James is my paternal Great Grandfather.

As for Andrew dying aged 1, that makes sense he was one part of Henrys family that I could not trace.

As for Sullivan's and Rhodesia, thank you but they are not related. My Great Grandmother Elizabeth Sullivan died in the 1960s in Keble road and her unmarried Daughter died in her 80s also Elizabeth but never married moved from Keble road into a home in the 1980s. there was also Kathleen and Gerard Connor husband and wife living there. Kathleen was a teacher at Merchant Taylors School, and died of cancer in the 1960s. Her husband Vincent connor had Huntingtons Chorea and died in a Leonard Cheshire Home. They had 2 sons Gerard now a teacher and John now a Head Master who moved away from Liverpool.

I have to say I am so grateful to the people who have helped me in my search and would love to receive more information if possible.

Thank you

Duvessa x
Thommos sister

Hi Duvessa
Thank you for reply and pleased to have helped on a couple of points.
1938 Gores Directory has a Vincent Connor sorry no occupation 62 Stanley Park Lpl 21.

T.S :)
kenwilliam hawkins

Hi i went to ST Pauls school St johns road, my mate was MICHAEL MAGOOLIGAN and i am sure he had siblings he lived on the right past the school ,and that was in the fifties i left Bootle 1961
duvessa

Thanks to everyone, and particularly to Thommos Sister, you have found more in a month than it has taken me 10 years to find. Please keep sending it. Some of the mistaken spellings I had already corrected with Ancestry.co.uk.

We also found Henry and Marys marriage in 1867 at St Anthonys chapel, Scotland Road and his name is spelt correctly as Magoolaghan but in the Liverpool Records office and on Ancestry.co.uk it has been incorrectly transcribed as McGallagher. We are trying to get a correction on this as I have obtained the birth Cert and the chapel register and every date and entry matches apart from the mispelling of Magoolaghan to McGallagher.

It was such a hard name to spell it has been mispelt across the years. I found some McGulleghans in Ulster in 1641 outlawed as catholic rebels. I think through the names as the addresses that they lived at that they are descendants of the Magoolaghans. Just a variation in the spelling, gaelic etc.

Thank you for the news on Michael Magooligan, we actually prounce the name the way that is spelt so it must be connected but I can find no trace on Ancestry.co.uk.

As for the link Thommos sister that you sent me with the American Magoolaghan's I have these built into my tree already and have contacted them previously. Most of them are the descendants of William Magoolaghan, son of Henry in Menai Street. William went to work for Cunard and emigrated to New York in the 1900s. Two of his sons followed him and settled there.

Since I first put my post up, I have found the grandson of John Magoolaghan who lived on Stanley Road with his mother on 1901 who you found. He remembers visiting them when he was 8, his father Andrew lived in London and then left his family and ran away to Australia where he had a second family who lost touch. John (the grandson) is in his 60s now and lived in Oxford with his family, he is quite a character and thrilled to have found other Magoolaghans. He thought he was the only one left.

I am so grateful for the ongoing research, it is a fantastic help, I have read quite a few of the threads here and the community help is amazing.

It reminds me of the Liverpool that my Mum still talks about...........

Duvessa x
bmcrell

Hi my name is Bernadette McRell from Charlotte, NC USA. While Googling the Magoolaghan name, I came across these blogs. I know this is an old post, but I believe the Henry and Mary Magoolaghan mentioned are my great-great grandparents. Henry's son William had a son William who had my mother Ellen.

My mom and grandfather were from Liverpool.

I am working on my family tree and trying to find out more information. Would love to know if the Henry and Mary you mention are indeed my relatives.

Thank you!
Bernadette McRell
bmcrell@gmail.com
J.F.G

Hello

Just reading this post on the Magoolaghan family, I was posted to Marsh lane ( Bootle )Police station mid 70's and knew the name " Joe Magoolaghan " and noticed two people on the site made mention of him.

There is a photograph of "Joseph P Magoolaghan " on the Bootle Borough Police website, this can be accessed via the Liverpool City Police.co.uk website, enter Bootle Borough Police in the search box and this will bring up the history of Bootle Police and photographs of the officers.

Regards

John
Sonoma

I knew the Magoolaghan family of St John's Rd
Father Joe and wife "Dolly" I think Dolly maiden name was Martinson (sp?) I believe she was Irish born
Son Joe served in the Irish Guards and then became a Bootle policeman circa 1958-62

Dolly suffered from a neurological disorder like MDystrophy or ALS I believe