I have just come across this site whilst searching for information on the Sealeaf family. My grandmother's second husband married a Vincent Sealeaf. Even though I am descended from her first husband, as far as I am concerned Vincent Sealeaf was the person I knew as my grandfather, so I have been researching the family.
I have copied what information I have below:
Descendants of Charles Michael Sealeaf
Generation No. 1
1. CHARLES MICHAEL2 SEALEAF (MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born Abt. 1833 in Kristenestad, Finland, and died Bet. Oct - Dec 1915 in West Derby, Liverpool1,2. He married JOHANNA BRAIN (OR BREEN) 26 Feb 1862 in West Derby3. She was born Abt. 1844 in Ireland, and died Bet. Jan - Mar 1896 in West Derby, Liverpool4.
Notes for CHARLES MICHAEL SEALEAF:
According to the Clements family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, (and other internet postings) he was born in Kristenestad, Finland. His surname was Sjoblad, which he anglicised to Sealeaf. He was a ship's rigger.
In BMD index (Marriages) 1862 his surname is spelt "Sealiff". At the time he was living in Gore Street, Liverpool
In 1866 the family were living at 119 Hopwood Street, Liverpool; in 1868 at 4 Grayson Street, and in 1876 at 34 Paget Street.
In the 1881 census, he was living at 25 Lincoln(?) Street. Occupation: boatman. Place of birth: Finland. (Note: In the 19th Century, Finland was part of Russia. This ties in with the family story that the original Sealeaf came from Russia).
Curiously, living with the family as a lodger was a Russian boatman (Charles Stephenson, age 51).
In the 1891 census, he was living at 46 Milton Street. Occupation: Ships rigger. Unemployed. Place of birth: Sweden. He is described on the census as a Naturalised British Subject.
In the 1901 census, he was living as a boarder at 59 Flint Street, Bootle. He is described as a widower and retired sailor. His youngest son Vincent was living at the same address, also as a boarder.
There is no trace of any Sealeaf (or Sealiff) before his marriage was registered. Presumably it was shortly before this date that the family changed its name for a more English sounding one.
Children of CHARLES SEALEAF and JOHANNA BREEN) are:
i. CLARA3 SEALEAF, b. 1866, Liverpool4; d. Bet. Apr - Jun 1866, Liverpool4.
2. ii. CHARLES MICHAEL SEALEAF, b. 1869, Liverpool; d. Bet. 1950 - 1960.
iii. ANTHONY SEALEAF, b. 1871, Liverpool.
iv. JOHN JOSEPH SEALEAF, b. 1873, Ireland.
v. ALFRED SEALEAF, b. 1875, Liverpool.
3. vi. CLARA SOPHIA SEALEAF, b. Bet. Oct - Dec 1876, Liverpool; d. Sep 1950, Coventry.
vii. VINCENT ENOCH SEALEAF, b. 1880, Liverpool.
Notes for VINCENT ENOCH SEALEAF:
In 1901 he was living at 59 Flint Street, Bootle as a lodger (as was his widowed father). His occupation was given as a soldier
Generation No. 2
2. CHARLES MICHAEL3 SEALEAF (CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born 1869 in Liverpool, and died Bet. 1950 - 1960. He married MARY ELLEN CRANNY Bet. Apr - Jun 1895 in West Derby, Liverpool, daughter of WILLIAM CRANNY and MARY. She was born 1874 in Liverpool.
Notes for CHARLES MICHAEL SEALEAF:
In 1881, as a child of 12, he was living with his parents and siblings at 25 Lincoln(?) Street, Bootle.
In 1891, he was still living with his family and unmarried. Occupation: Sailor, Merchant Service.
By 1901 he was married with 2 children, and living with his wife's parents (William & Mary Cranny) at 8 Nevada Street, Bootle.
Address in 1936 was 2 Newark Street, Walton. Occupation: Ships rigger.
Children of CHARLES SEALEAF and MARY CRANNY are:
i. CHARLES MICHAEL4 SEALEAF5, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1896, West Derby, Liverpool.
ii. WILLIAM JOHN SEALEAF, b. Bet. Oct - Dec 1898, West Derby, Liverpool5.
iii. AGNES MARY SEALEAF, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1903, West Derby, Liverpool5.
iv. JULIA CHRISTINA SEALEAF, b. Bet. Jan - Mar 1906, West Derby, Liverpool5; m. LAURENCE VAN DYKE.
Notes for JULIA CHRISTINA SEALEAF:
Emigrated to USA
v. ALBERT SEALEAF, b. 08 Feb 1909, West Derby, Liverpool; d. Jul 1987; m. JOHANNA OLSEN; b. 04 May 1910, Liverpool; d. Aug 1999, Holywell.
4. vi. VINCENT SEALEAF, b. 08 Feb 1909, West Derby, Liverpool; d. 1973, Delyn, Clwyd.
vii. GEORGE SEALEAF, b. Bet. Jul - Aug 1911, West Derby, Liverpool5.
viii. FRANCIS SEALEAF, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1915, West Derby, Liverpool5.
3. CLARA SOPHIA3 SEALEAF (CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born Bet. Oct - Dec 1876 in Liverpool5, and died Sep 1950 in Coventry6. She married WILLIAM HENRY JONES7 Bet. Apr - Jun 1898 in West Derby, Liverpool7.
Child of CLARA SEALEAF and WILLIAM JONES is:
5. i. JOHANNA WINIFRED MARY4 JONES, b. 1913, Bootle; d. 1997.
Generation No. 3
4. VINCENT4 SEALEAF (CHARLES MICHAEL3, CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born 08 Feb 1909 in West Derby, Liverpool, and died 1973 in Delyn, Clwyd. He married MARGARET ELIZABETH OLSEN 06 Jun 1936, daughter of ISAK OLSEN and ELEANOR GILLILAND. She was born 17 Nov 1903 in Liverpool, and died Jan 1992 in Rhuddlan.
Notes for VINCENT SEALEAF:
Had a twin brother Albert. Descended from Finnish(?) Catholics who emigrated to Britain sometime in the 19th Century. Family anglicised original Russian surname to Sealeaf.
On his marriage certificate in 1936 he was described as a labourer.
Served in Royal Army Medical Corps in World War 2, taking part in D-Day landings. Shortly after D-Day he was blown up whilst running through a barn under shellfire - he was the only survivor of his platoon. He was severely shell shocked.
After the war he worked at Courtaulds rayon factory in Greenfield as a process operator.
Always rode a motor bike, never having a car.
More About VINCENT SEALEAF:
Cause of Death: Cancer
Notes for MARGARET ELIZABETH OLSEN:
Married first to Ernest Evans (father of Lillian and Robina). Met him when she went to work at his parent's farm at Maes Gwylin near Rhuddlan.
At the time of her marriage, her address was 43 Conway Street, Liverpool
After his death in 1928 (?) she married Vincent Sealeaf in 1936. They lived at 43 Cyprus Road (?), Bootle, Liverpool. They had a son also named Vincent born 4 August 1936.
The family home was destroyed in the Blitz in May 1941, and they had to move in with Vincent's twin brother Albert in Holywell, Flintshire. Her National Identity card gives their address as 59 High Street, Holywell in June 1943. In March 1946 the family rented their own home Brentwood, Rhewl, Mostyn where they lived for many years.
Cissie worked as a charlady to the Storey family in Lllanerch-y-Mor for many years.
After the death of her husband she continued living at Brentwood with her son Vincent. When he got married, she went to live with her daughter Lill in Maes Pennant, Mostyn. When Lill died of cancer, she moved to live with her other daughter Ruby.
Towards the end of her life she suffered from senility, and spent her last years in a nursing home at Rhuddlan.
Child of VINCENT SEALEAF and MARGARET OLSEN is:
i. VINCENT ALBERT5 SEALEAF, b. 04 Aug 1936, 43 Cyprus Road, Liverpool; d. 06 Aug 2000, Glan Clwyd Hospital, Denbighshire; m. MAUREEN.
Notes for VINCENT ALBERT SEALEAF:
Did 2 years National Service in the Royal Marines in the 1950's.
Worked most of his life at Mostyn Docks
Did not marry until late in life. Moved to Rhyl after his marriage. Had no children.
Buried in Rhyl Town Cemetery
5. JOHANNA WINIFRED MARY4 JONES (CLARA SOPHIA3 SEALEAF, CHARLES MICHAEL2, MICHAEL1 SJOBLAD) was born 1913 in Bootle, and died 1997. She married JOSEPH CHARLES LEE 1936 in Bootle.
Notes for JOHANNA WINIFRED MARY JONES:
All information on this person comes a posting on the internet by her grandson James - not verified.
Child of JOHANNA JONES and JOSEPH LEE is:
i. JOAN MARY5 LEE, b. London.
1. BMD Index [Deaths].
2. Exact date of death according to Clements Family tree. Tallies with BMD Index (deaths)
3. Clements Family Tree, Johanna Breen of County Wexford married Charles Sealeaf in West Derby on 26Feb 1862. The BMD Index (Marriages) for Q1 1862 records that Charles Sealiff married Johanna Brain.
4. BMD Index [Deaths].
5. BMD Index (births).
6. Clements Family Tree, BMD index (deaths) Clara SM Jones 9c 588.
7. BMD Index (marriages), 8b 979.
Hope this is of use