64 Lord Street Millom

Find Bootle friends and family here
Tracer

I have been tracing family lineage and the center point for much of one branch centers on Bootle. Specifically 64 Lord Street Millom. According to the 1851 census, my g-grandparents lived there. He was an iron worker, Lawrence Haggerty married to Ellen Ryan. My grandfather, Patrick, was born in that house in 1879, (I believe they moved in the previous year. I do not have any photos, but the aerial from Google Earth.

I have several questions if anyone can answer, it would be appreciated:
1. Were these homes "company houses" and rented in the 1880's?
2. If so, were they owned by the Millom Iron Works?
3. Currently this point is the end of the line. Is there anyway to retrieve town of origin, or parents names from data other than the national census?

If anyone can shed light on these, and forward information, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
Tracer
Family Historian

You have the wrong 'Bootle', Tracer - This is Bootle, Merseyside, not Bootle, Cumbria.
Tracer

Thanks for the notice. Did not, nor do not, know the difference, but I will research to find out. Thank you again for tipping me off.
Tracer
Jan

Jan

:D

Tracer,

I found the 1881 entry for your family and it says all born Ireland!

How do you know Ellen's maiden name?

Jan
Ed Davies

Hi Tracer
Don't know if you have this

http://www.banklands.com/millom.htm
Ed
Jan

Tracer,

Do you have a copy of your grandfather's marriage cert confirming his father's name and occupation? Where and when did your grandfather marry?

I have found another Patrick Haggerty in the 1881 census also in the Millom area, born about the same time as your grandfather, but his parents are Patrick and Selina, also born in Ireland, their son was born in Cumbria.

What other info can you give us about the family?

Jan
Thommos sister

Hi Jan
If it's genealogy we don't care which Bootle hey :wink:
1881 Lawrence & Ellen states all born in Ireland as you said Jan.
Tracer thought Patrick was born in Millom.

I've looked in Free BMD Cumberland for a birth using soundex but can't see one.

Chat later

Tina
Thommos sister

Tracer
No trace of family after 1881.
Did they go somewhere??
Please can you give all the details so Jan & I don't waste our time looking for your family.

Thank you

T.S
Bernie R

Gang

I could be wrong but suspect your efforts may be in vain.

If you had logged onto the Bootle Cumbria site in error and been put right would you go back again? Probably not much point I suppose.

Tracer may of course prove me wrong but it may be worth pausing your investigations until they pop in again?

Just a thought!

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Tracer

First - thank you for your interest.
My error on Patrick. He was born in County Cork. His brother Peter, born March 1883 was born in that house - 64 Lord St. Millom, although one source lists his birthplace as Newton.

The Haggerty's immigrated to the US in November of 1883. The other Patrick, born 1837, married to Selina, was thought to be Lawrence's father, (with some question since he would have been 16 at the time of Lawrence's birth). Consequently that connection is doubtful.

However, there is an indication that a number of the larger Haggerty family moved to Millom from County Cork about the same time, and all were iron miners, (not unusual as that was the major industry in that area, as best as I can determine). A number of them settled in central Pennsylvania and became coal miners.

There is another branch of the family that has done some research, Peter's descendants, and they established Ellen's maiden name was Ryan. Their tree, the Yoder's and Haggerty's, is available through Ancestry.com. Attempts at communication with them have yet to be returned.

A number of US censuses have the years of marriage, which establishes it as 1878, and there is a registry mention of a marriage between Lawrence and Ellen during the first quarter of 1878.

The descendants "across the pond" are fairly easy to track, but it seems that Millom is the last concrete situation.

Sorry to bore you with all of the above, but just wanted to answer your questions. I really do appreciate your interest. Thank you so much.
Tracer
Jan

:lol:

Thanks for getting back to us Tracer, that has helped, I can't find any of the family on passenger lists, I will look again though maybe the name is mis-spelt or something.

It looks like your search should be in Ireland, not an easy task, there are lots of websites for Irish Genealogy, but not knowing where in Ireland your family came from would be difficult, and a lot of records for Ireland were lost in a fire at their records office in the 1920's.

Jan
Tracer

Thank you all for the links. The pictures of the iron works are great. There is a great deal of similarity to the coal collieries of central Pennsylvania, and the history parallels, as well.

I did not intend that all of you good people should investigate my lineage, but rather my curiosity about the houses on Lord Street in Millom. However, I must say that your efforts are truly appreciated. My ancestry search is an on-going process, but it may not yield any further enlightenment, and I am content with that.

Thank you again.
Tracer
Jan

Don't worry about it Tracer, Tina and I love a chellenge in family history, I have found this birth registration which may be one of your family!

You would have to order a copy of it.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
about Peter Hagerty
Name: Peter Hagerty
Year of Registration: 1883
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Bootle Cul
County: Cumberland
Volume: 10b
Page: 643

If you need help with ordering that, we can talk you through it, just give us a shout.

Jan
Bernie R

Well that's all put me in my place then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to see all the efforts were not in vain.

Bernie
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Jan

Thanks Bernie,

Tracer,

There is a website for records offices in Cumbria (the other Bootle), perhaps if you e-mail them they might be able to help with the history of the houses in Lord Street Millom.

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/contact/default.asp

Jan
Ed Davies

Jan

Great pics Ed,

What a strange thing, the other Haggerty family were living in Wellington Street in 1881. Lord Street being the next street to Wellington Street.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=LORD%20STR ... =UTF8&z=16

Jan
Tracer

You are the most pleasant and accommodating people I have ever met on the net. I can not thank you enough for all you have done. I am truly sorry that this is the wrong Bootle, (actually from your efforts, it is the RIGHT BOOTLE). Next trip across the pond must include both.

Yes the other family was on Wellington Street, and they are related, but the connection is a bit murky, (orginally we thought it was father of Lawrence). The grandmother also lived in Millom, although widowed, in 25 Millom Road as a "housekeeper". Ancestors often are mysterious.

I will leave Bootle now, but not without profuse thank you's. Our efforts will now concentrate on Dublin and Cork, where we have some documentation, although scant.

I wish you all the best.

Adieu,
Tracer
Jan

Thanks Tracer,

If you ever get the info you are looking for, please come back and let us know, we would be interested.

The best of luck.

Jan
Haggerty

Tracer,

I ran across this thread the other day. I realize that it from 2009, but we share the same ggparents. Wondered if you are still interested in this lineage. I spent a great deal of time researching the Haggerty thread from County Cork to Millom to Shamokin, Pennsylvania. If I have information that you are missing, I would be very glad to share it with you. Thank you.
Jack