ST THOMAS AQUINAS HIGH SCHOOL NETHERTON

Find Bootle friends and family here
bashey

Danny verdin; I have sent you a message !!
bashey

jwalker85@hotmail.com wrote:Does anyone remember Pat Hagan the Headmaster? joe in texas
are you mr Walker the pe teacher ??
GillNY

Danny

Paul Gill from the Tommies. Good to see you’re doing ok.

I remember you starring in Joseph and the Amazing Tech dreamcoat. (I only made the backing choir). Hung out mostly with Paul Brown and Mark Cousins, football: Phil Bretherton, Mark McGuirk, Alan Saunders, good footballers - Running:Mike Fields, PE Teachers: Mr Collins, Myers, Maths: Murren, Headmaster: A S Hill, Woodwork:Mr Kelly, English:Mr West, Drama: Ms Wilson? (I think)

Tough school but we got through. My mum used to work in the Assessment center on Sterrix Lane.

I live in Park Slope - Brooklyn now (30yrs) . Getting close to moving on out - somewhere ? - be good.

Gilly.
bashey

Gilly, lost contact with you when friends reunited went !!!

check your PM's
Daft Apeth

Can anyone remember what the Latin motto was for St Thomas Aquinas High School?. I was there in the 70's and remember wearing a blazer and dark tie but can't remember for the life of me what the motto was.

I'd also love to see if anyone has any photos of the school - 2 eras, the original with bikesheds and the like and latterly when the big extension was built in the late 70's early 80s when the maths block, tech drawing, art buildings were put up. In turn the library which I know didn't last long but still brings back some great memories.

Best
Billy vogel

Hello mr Gill I also went the tommies to am I speaking to Paul or jimmy ?? Jimmy was gud friends with my brother Steven we lived on sterrix lane
bashey

its Paul, the elder brother hwo I have been talking to,
Are you related then to Mick & paul Vogel..? lived in the road facing the telephone box/gas/electricity sub-stations?
BossHogg

Is Tommies the school on Swifts Lane, I went to Hillside myself. ;)
Skinnyh

I went to the tommies late sixty early seventies, I remember most of the teachers already mentioned + mr Dolan another rugby player, does anyone remember mr Murphy practicing his golf at lunch time and him hitting one of the boys in the eye with a golf ball ? , I was that boy.
There was two mr Murphy’s both brothers and both played rugby. I also remember Mick Collins playing in that Wembley final for Leigh, and seeing him swing for someone during the game, he got some stick at school on the Monday
Memories hey, the thing you think about during lockdown
BOBHAMO

fire 1977 library
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Daft Apeth

Bob,

This is Gold,

The aftermath of the fire at Mr Moore's beloved library. I recall the photo was shown in the Bootle Times?. Thing's really were down hill at the school from then on.

Many thanks for sharing
Chazza29

Interesting to see some of the posts from ' Tommies' I lived at the Old Roan and left Holy Rosary Aintree to join Thomas Aquinas in 1965. I remember it was like walking into the bronx and a huge culture change. I went with Terry Adams and Dave Lamble and we were put in the bottom class ,our teacher was Mr Shepherd and played Rugby for Leigh ,I remember him taking us onto the sports field to show us a 'mans game' and after being tackled by him vowing never to do that again. In the first couple of days Dave Lamble got hold of the school bully and absolutely battered him, good lad Dave!
After the first term all 3 of us were moved to the top stream, the teachers I can remember were
Paddy Hagan Head
Mr Griffiths Deputy Head and maths
Mr Wolfart English (Great Man)
Mr Cullen Metalwork
Mr Kershaw Woodwork (Great Man)
Mr Tickle (Science)(Great Man)
I remember going on a school trip to Anglesey and Mr Tickle took his boat and cooked us fresh mackerel he had caught. We went on a double decker bus and the driver hit a low bridge , luckily only slightly and no one was hurt!
I left school with 5 CSEs only good one was Grade 1 English, Thanks Mr Wolfart! I spent many years in shipping admin then joined the police for 28 years before retiring in 2016, now live in Stafford

Keep the post
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Chazza and welcome, there are plenty on here who will have memories of "The Tommies" and I,m sure they will be along soon to talk over old time and friends. I look forward to reading your posts.

Sheelagh Tequila :D
Dan

Mick Collins (back row 3rd left), the teacher mentioned above, played in a strong Leigh Rugby League side that reached and won several finals in the 60s and 70s.

1963- Lancashire Cup Final, Sat 26 Oct 1963, lost to St Helens 4-15 at Swinton (21,321). Team: Bev Risman (c); Colin Tyrer (2g), Gordon Lewis, Mick Collins, Tony Leadbetter; Austin Rhodes, Terry Entwistle; Bill Robinson, John Lewis, Stan Owen, Mick Murphy, Mick Martyn, Derek Hurt.
1968- BBC2 Floodlit Trophy Final, Tue 16 Jan 1968, lost to Castleford 5-8 at Leeds (9,525). Team: Tom Grainey; Rod Tickle (t), Gordon Lewis, Mick Collins, Joe Walsh; Terry Entwistle, Alex Murphy (c); Alan Whitworth, Kevin Ashcroft, Harry Major, Bob Welding, Mick Murphy, Laurie Gilfedder (t).

1969- Lancashire Cup Final, Sat 1 Nov 1969, lost to Swinton 2-11 at Wigan (13,532). Team: Tom Grainey; Rod Tickle, Tom Warburton, Mick Collins, Harold Stringer; David Eckersley, Alex Murphy (c) (g); Dave Chisnall, Kevin Ashcroft, Derek Watts, Bob Welding, Jimmy Fiddler, Geoff Lyon. Sub: Dennis Brown.

1969- BBC2 Floodlit Trophy Final, Tue 16 Dec 1969, beat Wigan 11-6 at Wigan (12,234). Team: Stuart Ferguson (3g); Rod Tickle (t), Stan Dorrington, Mick Collins, Joe Walsh; David Eckersley, Alex Murphy (c) (g); Dave Chisnall, Kevin Ashcroft, Derek Watts, Bob Welding, Paul Grimes, Geoff Lyon. Sub: Gordon Lewis.
1970- Lancashire Cup Final, Sat 28 Nov 1970, beat St Helens 7-4 at Swinton (10,776). Team: Stuart Ferguson (2g); Rod Tickle, Mick Collins, Les Chisnall, Joe Walsh; David Eckersley (t), Alex Murphy (c); Dave Chisnall, Kevin Ashcroft, Derek Watts, Paul Grimes, Geoff Clarkson, Mick Mooney. Sub: Tommy Canning.

1971- Challenge Cup Final, Sat 15 May 1971, beat Leeds 24-7 at Wembley Stadium (85,514). Team: David Eckersley (t, g); Stuart Ferguson (5g), Stan Dorrington (t), Mick Collins, Joe Walsh; Tony Barrow, Alex Murphy (c) (2g); Derek Watts, Kevin Ashcroft, Jimmy Fiddler (g), Paul Grimes, Geoff Clarkson, Peter Smethurst. Sub: Les Chisnall.

1972- BBC2 Floodlit Trophy Final, Tue 19 Dec 1972, beat Widnes 5-0 at Wigan (4,872). Team: Mick Hogan; Graeme Lawson (t), John Atkin, Mick Collins, Mick Stacey; Tony Barrow (c), Cliff Sayer; Paul Grimes, Derek Clarke, Geoff Fletcher, Jimmy Fiddler (g), Frank Barrow, Tommy Martyn. Subs: Alan Riding, Roy Lester.
Daft Apeth

Thanks for the update.

I always had respect for Mr Collins, he along with Mr Griffiths were basically doing the hard work of managing things with the Petri dish of characters at St Tommies, whilst Mr Hill was Headmaster doing little to get involved. Two men doing a tough job in a challenging environment.
bashey

patricia redmond wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 pm In reply to Maureen's post, I thought it maybe a point of interest to know my brother Michael Collins, was the Mr Collins teacher at St. Thomas Aquinas, he was a rugby (pro) but it was for Leigh not St. Helens. Michael was in the team that played for the cup at Wembley, but I can't think of the year. he was number 14. from Pat Redmond.
Is Pat Redmond still a member of this site ? I would like to know if Mr Collins still lives in Crosby/thereabouts, he was one of my teacher 1974--79.
Dan

Netherton Message Board thread; "Tommy's"

A lot of names.

Re: tommy's by AlanHardaker (Member 10176981) on 10-Feb-2006
I remember Mr.Woolfarth (Wooly) as I was at St.Tommy's from 61-'66.He was our form teacher for a year or so,he was a crusty old so&so,always covered in chalk.He taught maths as well.I remember him as one of the better teachers at the school.I lived in Swifts lane,just over the road from the school.I vaguely remember Mr.Tickle & Shephard.I recall a Gym teacher called Murray who was fond of giving you one on the backside with an old white pump.He wasn't a very good judge of a footballer as he never picked me for the team.I also recall a Mr.Cullen the woodwork teacher.Mr.Walker,who had plans to keep live stock on the playing fields.He had a breakdown in class and left the school never to return.I also remember the Headmaster,Paddy Hagan.He gave me and a few mates 'six of' for playing footie in the school grounds at the weekend.Me dad had to be kept from goin' up and giving him a slap.I have a dim memory of Miss McNally as the girls I think left the school about '63/64.She was a bit of a looker and I recall there was trouble as round the back of the Gym area you could see the showers from the playground and all hands got a right eyefull for yonks.The powers that be got wind of it and the frosted glass was changed.I don't have much recall of the other lads in my class.I remember a Stephen Tole,he joined the army,a big lad called Alan Eyles.A lad called Nulty was always throwing hie weight round.It was a rough school and to be honest I never really enjoyed my time there.We moved away from Bootle a few years after I left St.Tommy's and I never kept in touch with anybody from that area who included Billy,Peter,Paul Marsden,Les Kelshaw,John Larkin,Geoff Rimmer,Joey Johnston,Budder Gore,Eddie Murphy,The Cumisky family,Paul Western,Billy Wilcox,The Mitchells,who lived on the corner of Swifts.All a long time ago.Were are they now...god knows...!

Re: tommy's by billy willcox (Member 10126440) on 22-Apr-2006
Hi Alan

I'll be back in Netherton in early June 2006 for around 1 week. Do you have a number to contact you on?

Re: tommy's by Laurie McCarthy (Member 10000335) on 22-May-2006
Alan

I too went to the Tommies around the same an remember most of the people and incidents you mention. I was in 1T in 1961 and left in 66 - I remember Peter Duff as the class teacher.

Dont know if your interested or not but I do have email addresses for Billy Coleman and Bernard Douras if you remember either of them

Re: tommy's by John Wilson (Member 10032689) on 31-May-2006
I didnt go to the Tommoes but I did go to Holy Ghost in the late 50's- mentioned a Bernard Douras- I am sure I was in Holy Ghost with him. Other names that I recall are a Phillip Hoose,who I think was killed in a road accident when he was about 13. Other names are Michael Moss, Terry Hughes who lived in Dodge. A couple of the girls were Margaret McGorrian and Barbara Charles,who had an elder sister. Stuggling with mre names at the moment. Anyone else remember any names from Holy Ghost in the 1950's

Re: tommy's by Les Cooper (Member 10189690) on 22-Jul-2006
Sadly philip hoose was killed in a road accident.I lived in Sterrix Lane and went to Holy Ghost school.I remember Barbera Charles did some model work for a mail order catologue. Other names i remember are Brian Hosker also lived in Sterrix Lane and Susan Henderson who i think lived Swifts Lane way

Re: tommy's by John Wilson (Member 10032689) on 27-Jul-2006
Hi Les, who's class where you in. I am struggling with teachers names but I think I finished Holy Ghost in Miss Mc Laughlans class, which I think was 4A.Which class where you in. I remember being in Mr Collins class in the third year,I think we called him 'Collie Dog', seem to remember getting the cane for leaving a bag of dog biscuits on his desk.Other teachers names I recall are Miss Taggart, I think there was a Mr Wilde in 4B, tall bloke with a tash. Struggling with the heads name tho, I recall he used to cycle to school,can you remember his name?
Other names I can recall are Tommy Law, Frank Mullins, James Byrne, Michael McArdle, David Blakey, all of whom I went to St Marys's with.What names can you recall and what happened to them all?

Re: tommy's by Les Cooper (Member 10189690) on 5-Sep-2006
Hi John, I was friends with Frank Mullen for many years he lived in Poulsom Drive & his back garden joined ours he had two brothers as i recall Tony & Kevin. Next door lived Dave Purcell he had about 6 brothers.The other names i can recall them all but sadly do not know what became of them all.I assume you went to St Marys in Crosby but i ended up in Bootle Boys Grammar School and thats why most of us lost touch in later years.I think was in Miss Wrights class when i left Holy Ghost in 1960 or 1961 as I was in the School Quiz Team and have a Photo of the team that included Bobby Stokes and Brian Hosker. A lot of the people you mention i have on a shool photo from Holy Ghost Junior School taken in about 1957 or 58. I remember we got transferred to the huts at the Junction of Sterrix Lane & Boundry Lane, alongside the path that ran through the Golf Course, for our 4th year and later i think we did 6 months in St Thomas Aquinas. I will post again as soon as i can sorry it took so long

Re: tommy's by Bernard Douras (Member 10195381) on 11-Oct-2006
Hi, just found this website, fascinating. Does anyone know what happened to a Michael Shanks, he was taken out of tommies to train to be a priest. Often wonder what happened to him in the end. Bernie

Re: tommy's by John Wilson (Member 10032689) on 24-Nov-2006
Bernard Douras- I certain I remeber you from Holy Ghost/ I am sure we were in the same class-must have been 4A-Miss Mc loughlans.Didnt we walk to the shops at Lunchtime.
Where are you now?send me a note

Re: tommy's by mike crawford (Member 10205957) on 3-Apr-2007
Hi Bernard
re your enquirey about michael shenk he went to the Salesian College in maccalsfield till 21 but left before ordained.think his dad passed away.used to help him with his home work so could play with his dutch train set. left the order did work as relief pub manager at the punchbowl (1980)then was moving to london to work in advertising.
lost touch.

Re: tommy's by kevin price (Member 10031260) on 3-Apr-2007
I too remember the huts on sterrix lane just before we went to the tommies.remember the teachers in tommies , shepherd,tickle,wolfart wasnt paddy hagen the headmaster then.a few names i rember were vinnie mcgrain, bobby stokes, peter mahon (deceased) albert meadows a couple of purcells dont know if they were related.
thegood old days hey

Re: tommy's by Terry Riley (Member 10169746) on 5-Jul-2007
does anyone remember the 5 asides in the gym on mondays & wednesdays when Mr Dolan would bring his mates, the searchers, Ian stJohn & Alex Young to play with us

Re: tommy's by Alf Crutchley (Member 10210858) on 17-Jul-2007
Yeah, I remember the 5 a sides alright. Teacher Mike Collins used to play as well, sometimes Mike Wallace as well. Certainly remember playing against John McNally. Terry, were you in my year?

Re: tommy's by Terry Riley (Member 10169746) on 12-Aug-2007
Hi Alf, I believe we were in the same year with Paul o'Donnell, Les Thompson, Miles McDonald we had Tickle as form teacher right? Hows tricks? I've been livig in Holland since 1992 and can,t seem to get away. Wife and two daughterskeeping me here. Get to come back to Netherton / Bootle when someone dies or gets married!

Re: tommy's by billy willcox (Member 10126440) on 17-Aug-2007
Alf Cruchley
Did you used to live around Swifts Lane and hang out with people like John Larkin, the Macgrane boys etc?
Your name rings a bell or two

Re: tommy's by Alf Crutchley (Member 10210858) on 16-Oct-2007
Terry
May be confusing me with my younger brother Franny, he was certainly in the same year as Miles McDonald. I am two years older than him, but your name rings a bell!

Re: tommy's by Alf Crutchley (Member 10210858) on 16-Oct-2007
Billy
We lived in St. Nicholas Drive and I used to hang around with Johnny Larkin, Eddie Murphy, the Marsdens, Cumiskeys, McGranes etc. I remember your name, did you live opposite the Marsdens in St. Thomas Drive, or somewhere in the vicinity?
I know Johnny Larkin died. I saw Eddie a few months back in the Holy Ghost club and he was totally pissed, couldn't understand a word he was saying. Also bumped into Les Kelshaw in the club earlier this year.

Re: tommy's by James Pugh (Member 10227189) on 3-Jul-2008
lived on sarahs croft went to the tommys live in amsterdam now,see alot of old names,pop mccarthy,alan hardacre played footie ?bernard douras remember rollo on the golfy ?mick crawford went to lucas togather,hope you are all well.teachers i remember wolfarth ,peter duff,tom downey.mick murphy,collins.malloy,cullen,kershaw,tickle,murray pt,gill,paddy hagen,played footie with dennis armstrong.jess harper,tony hammill,derek flynn,billy meadows.gerry farrel.billy coleman,mick moss his girlfriend was barbara charles,thank you all for an amazing 5 years,thanks mr duff tried to get me on the interlaken trip dockers strike,no cash,chuga pugh.

Re: tommy's by Philip Temple (Member 10241684) on 18-Oct-2009
For ALAN HARDAKER - I'm sure I remember you! I was at Tommy's at the same time, 1G and throughout. I'm sure Nulty, or one of them was in my form. Your right it was a bit tough and I wasn't too happy there, but I think that was more my fault. I knew Stephen Dumbell, the MacCambridge brothers, Wright and loads of others who's names for the moment escape me! The teachers you mention I remember, especially Humphry (?), and his strap which he called Sammy - there was something very wrong with him - he didn't last long. I'm now a monk-priest in Italy - funny old world.
Old_Hand_007

I wonder if on Mr Hills deathbed, did he picture the youth of Netherton walking through a doorway in b&w, tugging the forelock as unseen teachers took the register, Vogel, MacGrane, Summers, Lloyd, Farley... 🙄
Goodbye Mr Hill! ;-)
DannyBoy65

My eldest brother was Mick Murphy who played Rugby League for Leigh, St Helen’s, Bradford Northern and Barrow and was capped 4 times for Wales. He was close friends with Mick Collins and Brian Dolan. I remember them well. We used to meet up for a drink in the Crows Nest in Crosby.
Sadly, my brother passed away in 2019.
We were a large family and we lived on Merton Rd opposite St Winefride’s Juniors,

Danny Murphy