Conway Street and St James'

Find Bootle friends and family here
Diane

Hi
Long shot but I wondered if anyone has any photos of Conway street? This was one the 'welsh sisters' roads that ran indirectly off Marsh lane. Also any other details on when the houses were built etc.

My gt grandparents lived there until the houses were demolished, and I believe my gt gt grandparents prior to that. [At least from 1916] My Grandmother was brought up there with her 3 brothers, and my father also has fond memories of visiting as a child. The house in question was number 42.

I believe the family would have attended St James' church so any info on there would be great too. Was there possibly a school attached to the church? And are baptismal records available anywhere?

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read and hope I've posted this in the right section. :)
Jan

:lol: :lol:

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the site.

Conway Street was built about 1881.

The records for St James Church are at Crosby Library.

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/england/sefton.html

Yes there was a school linked to the church.

http://liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/r_-_st_ja.html

Hope that helps

Jan
Diane

Jan wrote::lol: :lol:

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the site.

Conway Street was built about 1881.

The records for St James Church are at Crosby Library.

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/england/sefton.html

Yes there was a school linked to the church.

http://liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/r_-_st_ja.html

Hope that helps

Jan
Thank you, Jan, you're a treasure, and what a lovely welcome to the site too :)
Jan

:lol:

Do you have a name for the family you are looking for, I could have a look and see if they are listed in any directories, I have 1911, 1914 and 1938.

Only the head of the household were listed in the directories.

I am sure you will get lots of other help from the site if you give names.

Jan
Eddy Lloyd

Welcome Diane our Jan will sort you :wink:
Diane

Well the surname is Tafe.

My gt grandparents were James and Mary Tafe [nee Devaney] and their children were [Selina] Ann, James and Thomas [twins] and Joseph. I believe Joe carried on living there with his mum until the houses were demolished.

My gt grandfather's brother Thomas was killed during WW1, and according the CWGC was the son of James Tafe [my gt gt grandfather] of Conway street. [can't remember if it gave the house number offhand, will have to check] Edited to say that house number is given as 42. This was in 1914

Sorry it sounds confusing, far too many James' and Thomas'.

Again many thanks for your help
Last edited by Diane on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diane

Thank you, Eddy :wink:
Jan

:(

Checked 1938 Directory Diane, but 42 Conway Street wasn't listed, only one person had their name in the directory for Conway Street.

There is a book available called "Bootle Signposts", I had a look in there to see if there was maybe a photo of Conway st, but none there.

I think the houses were terraced two up two down, not sure, but I am sure someone will know.

Jan
marielou

Hi Diane, welcome to the site. I lived in Bala St., which was the next street to Conway St., I know name just cant picture them at the moment.
As Jan said they were 2 up 2 down.

Will get back to you.

Marie.
Last edited by marielou on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
Diane

Yes, my Dad recalls them as 2up 2downs.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look in your directories
Diane

marielou wrote:Hi Diane, welcome to the site. I lived in Bala St., which was the next street to Conway St., I know the Tafe's just cant picture them all at the moment.

Will get back to you.

Marie.
oh, wow imagine that! Thank you, and look forward to hearing from you.
Jan

:?

Found this on ancestry site Diane.

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
about Thomas Tafe
Name: Thomas Tafe
Birth Place: Liverpool
Residence: Warrington, Lancs
Death Date: 29 Sep 1914
Enlistment Location: Bootle, Lancs
Regiment: Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)
Battalion: 2nd Battalion.
Number: 8275
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theater of War: Aldershot

Jan
marielou

Diane, there's another girl on the site Barb Toole, she lived in Denbeigh St., the one after Conway, she will most probably know them also.

Marie.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
Diane

That's him :(

On the cwgc site it actually says son of James Tafe of 42 Conway street, marsh lane, though interstingly enough, it doesn't appear that Thomas lived there with his Dad at the time of enlistment.

Again thank you, I let my Ancestry sub slide, 4yrs ago, after I had my last child, as I didn't have the time to warrant spending the money, but am seriously considering renewing
Diane

marielou wrote:Diane, there's another girl on the site Barb Toole, she lived in Denbeigh St., the one after Conway, she will most probably know them also.

Marie.
This is my Great grandmother [hopefully, if I've not messed up as usual]

Jan

:D

Lovely photo Diane.

I think the houses in Conway Street may be similar to those in Staley Street.

They were all built by the same person.

http://www.liverpoolstreetgallery.com/d ... ?pos=-2252

Jan
Diane

Ahh, that's interesting, I'll show my Da and see what he thinks.

So glad I found this site, thanks once again :)
smoked out

sure ann tafe lived down chesnut grove by the church , defo know the name from when we were kids.
JULIA ARROWSMITH

Hi Diane and welcome all the old houses from chesnut grove got pulled down the school i work in is there now but i remember the winrow family living there :lol:
julia arrowsmith
babs toole

hya di i lived in denbigh st next st to conway st i knew arose taffe .if im not mistaken i think your jimmy was mates with my dad they worked on the docks together .if im not mistaken i think jimmy had an accident on the docks he had a head injury .they all drank inthe muncasterin irlam road.is any of the family still going ?does some of the family live in chestnut grove ?the family i remember lived near the top near to banger st.let me know di!
Barb
Diane

smoked out wrote:sure ann tafe lived down chesnut grove by the church , defo know the name from when we were kids.
Hi Smoked. What decade would that have been? I don't think my Gran [Ann] ever lived down chesnut grove, though I could be wrong.

I wonder if it's her brother Tommy's daughter, as she was called Ann as well. He was married to Eva, and I think there were 5 children: Jimmy, Tommy, Marie, Ann and Joan.

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Diane

JULIA ARROWSMITH wrote:Hi Diane and welcome all the old houses from chesnut grove got pulled down the school i work in is there now but i remember the winrow family living there :lol:
Hi, thanks for the input, will have to visit the area some day soon, despite the houses no longer being there.
Diane

babs toole wrote:hya di i lived in denbigh st next st to conway st i knew arose taffe .if im not mistaken i think your jimmy was mates with my dad they worked on the docks together .if im not mistaken i think jimmy had an accident on the docks he had a head injury .they all drank inthe muncasterin irlam road.is any of the family still going ?does some of the family live in chestnut grove ?the family i remember lived near the top near to banger st.let me know di!
Your message gave me a 'coming home' feeling, lol

I don't seem to have a Rose Taffe at all in my tree, but who knows?

I will have to check with my Da about Jimmy working on the docks, and the head injury, the problem being that as you can see there were a lot of Jimmys and Tommys in the family. I will also ask him about the pub, and about what end it was at, know it was no. 42.

My gran's brother Jimmy died approx 3/4 yrs ago, Joe died in 1995, a wonderful man, he used to play the banjo and was a george formby fan. My gran died in 1985, and the other brother Tommy died in the 1950s

The confusion starts as my gran's dad was also Jim, he dies in the 1950s and my gran's brother Tommy named his 2 sons Jimmy and Tommy too, lol. I am wondering if perhaps they are the family from Chestnut grove

Thank you :)
smoked out

The ann tafe from chessie grove was late 50,s early sixties , my cousins from kirby place "off chesnut" would know more , will try and ask.
Diane

That maybe my Da's cousin then, think she was born late 1940s, as I said before she had 2 brothers, jimmy and tommy and 2 sisters, Marie and Joan. I think all were older than her apart from Joan
Diane

babs toole wrote:hya di i lived in denbigh st next st to conway st i knew arose taffe .if im not mistaken i think your jimmy was mates with my dad they worked on the docks together .if im not mistaken i think jimmy had an accident on the docks he had a head injury .they all drank inthe muncasterin irlam road.is any of the family still going ?does some of the family live in chestnut grove ?the family i remember lived near the top near to banger st.let me know di!
Hi Again,
Had a quick chat with my Da, was def Banger st end they lived. He doesn't recall what pub was their 'local' though the certainly were pub goers.
Regarding the head injury my gt Uncle Jim [who I think you're talking about as working with your Dad, he was born 1916?] did have a dent/mark on his head,but this was apparently obtained during the war.

However, you could be talking abt my cousin Jimmy who was born in the 1940s, or even my Granda who was born in the 1880s. Let me know your thoughts.
Many thanks xxx
Diane

Oooops, forgot to add that all 3 brothers, Jimmy, Toomy and Joe worked at the docks
babs toole

hya again di ,yes jimmy had a like a small hole in his head ,sounds like a tune for a song ha ha lol,he was a mate of my dad ,i think he lived in netherton he lived in quigley av i thik his mother lived there to ,he ended up with the ambulance service, rose lived in chestnutgrove, i think she had brothers tommy jimmy and ithink she had sister ann but im not to sure as im going back in the fiftys ,they use to go to st james.
Barb
Diane

Hi again, am sending you a pm xxx
Diane

I can't seem to send my pms, they appear to just sit in my outbox and not my sent messages, so presume they are not sending? Help!!! lol

That's almost certainly my gt Uncle Jim, who died approx 3 or 4 yrs ago, as he went on to work for st Johns ambulance.

Not sure about Quigley ave, but My gt uncle Joe, Jim's brother, lived on Quigley ave, after the houses were demolished, and he lived with his mum, my gt gran, who is the lady pictured in the photo. I was very close to my Uncle Joe, he was well known for his banjo playing!

Please keep any memories coming.

[still can not tie in a Rose Tafe, I'm afraid]
babs toole

hya di thats right about jimmy being in st johns ambulance ,he was a lovely chap when i used to see him he always bid me the time of day ,if i remeber rightly if your nan did live in conway st i recall rose going to visit her .how old is your dad?and was he jimmys brother? i remember a josie taffe lived innetherton she was married to harry taffe ,were they related to you ?my brother charlie would know a lot more than me ,ask any of your family remember him ,name is charlie toole from denbigh st .
Barb
babs toole

hya, di our charlie as just been over ,he put me straight rose,s name is marie i only rememberd her as rose ,there was ann, jimmy ,tommy, and joan ,but i can,t remember joan ,you have,nt said what your single and married names are! we may know your mam and dad ?who did you marry?any one from bootle?
Barb
Diane

Hi,
I love chatting to you on here!

My Dad is David Cowdrey, son of [Selina] Ann Tafe, who was Jimmy's big sis.
She married a Londoner and moved down there just before the war. My Dad was born at Walton hospital in 1944 though, as the blitz at that time was worse in London than in Liverpool, but thereafter grew up in London with regular visits to Bootle to stay with his gran in Conway st.

I checked with my Dad, and I was right in saying that it was my gt uncle Joe who lived at Quigley avenue with his Mam [my gt gran] Jim lived with his wife Winnie in Coledridge st.

Marie, unfortunately died some yrs ago of cancer :(

I can't tie a Harry/Josie Taffe in at all, but who know?
Diane

Forgot to ask if you showed your Charlie the photo of my Gt Gran?
babs toole

hy di,your dad must be arond my age or i,m a bit older than him, he would,nt remeber the muncaster pub if he was,nt from marsh lane ,i,m sorry to hear marie passed away! is any of her family still going ?any brothers or sisters, do any of them live in bootle ?sorry about thinking josie and harry were you relations ,different family all together must be alzimmens kicking in ha ha lol. where abouts are you living ?sorry about spelling that,s what becomes of going to st james ha ha .keep in touch di.
Barb