Looking for Henry Edwards living in 3 Melling Road, Bootle

Find Bootle friends and family here
yfu036

Hey,

I am currently looking at Henry Edwards, a resident in Bootle in 1901 census for an academic purpose.

Henry Edwards was born in 1856 in Cheshire. He came from a Danmark family and lived in Denmark in his childhood (at least from 4 years old). He served as an engineer in Shanghai Gas Company from 1884 to 1895. His family includes Margaret Edwards (Margaret Hannah Parry, 1867-1843), Gaeme H Edwards (1891-1967), Alfred Denton Edwards (1893-1960), Daisy O Edwards (1894-1972), and Max Edwards (1898-1968). Graeme Henry Edwards has a son- Gordon Malcom Edwards (1921-2003). Max has a son named Joan P Edwards (1927-?). Henry Edwards died in 1931. In 1901, the Edwards registered at 3 Melling Road, Bootle.

According to a newspaper report from Liverpool Echo, Henry Edwards once used stage name “Harry Welby Cook” and showed some films in Shanghai in 1897. He continued to show films back to Liverpool at places like Latham Hall, Seaforth (off Lawson Road), and Bottle Town Hall in around 1900. Henry Edwards is alleged to co-operated with Archer & Sons, Lord Street, who is a known lantern slides and optician premises.

My questions are:

1) How can I find the film exhibition activities in Bootle? British Newspaper Archive has collection of Bootle Times, but only till 1897. I saw some users in this forum posted some news reports from Bootle Times in the 1910s, but I donot know where to find these collections.

2) Where can I some possible photo of Henry Edwards. Databases like findmypast and ancestry.com did not have information about his offsprings like Gordon Malcom Edwards and Joan P Edwards.

Many many thanks,

Kurt

The transcript of the news report about his film activity is as follows:

In my father’s day it was billed as “moving pictures” as I can go as far back as 1897 when he-under the name of Harry Welby Cook-showed three “moving pictures” at the Latham Hall,

Seaforth (off Lawson Road/street?) which I believe was blitzed during the war, and is now the site of a timber yard.

The first film was of a train coming straight for the audience, and many tried to get out of the way! That same picture was shown earlier in Shanghai and there was considerable panic by the coolies- after which my father had for some time to seek police protection.

Coming back to Seaforth the second picture depicted a gardener pushing his barrow up the garden path, collecting a heap of leaves, returning and then burning them. What a sensation!
Finally, the programme finished with workmen coming out of the gates of Vickers’ works, grinning, waving and giving the “V” sign!

The accompanying music was worked backstage by my brother and I on a phonograph, with wax cylindrical records. The horn was about three feet long. Music was of a symphonic nature.
Incidentally, the film fell into an open basket and was re-wound by hand- with rather a disastrous result at a trial owing to the picture being projected backwards!

Later my father gave a show at the Bootle Town Hall and it was after that date that the machine had to be cased in to avoid fire- as someone in the gallery might have dumped his fag into the open basket.

Our evidence of these early films was lost through the folly of my brother and I who (in Lawson Road) pushed the centre of the film upward and applied a match. The back room came off badly, but while the Fire Bridge turned up the midwife arrived a few minutes early to bring into the light of day another “film fan”.
For a few days I did not find much pleasure in sitting down on a seat!

I have tried to be correct with my dates and it was a few years before the relief of Ladysmith. February 28, 1900 and again Mafeking, which was besieged from October 11, 1899, and May 18, 1900.

While my father made a bit of money with his exhibitions, it was more of a hobby and if I remember correctly was in co-operation with Archers, who had an establishment in Lord Street.
Thank you for giving us such plentiful news for tuppence—Graeme H. Edwards (born Shanghai, January 25, 1890), 86 Long Lane, Liverpool.

yfu036

Re: Margaret H. Parry (1965-1943). She is the daughter of Daniel Parry (1844-) and Alice Parry (1846-). Margaret lived at 180 Irlam Road, Bootle in 1881.
many thanks
BOBHAMO

d
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bootle born altcar road
Jan

Hi Kurt,

Do you have this info from 1939 register?

DetailSource
Name: Joan P Edward
[Joan P Park]
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: 17 Jun 1927
Residence Date: 1939
Address: 9
Residence Place: Ulverston, Lancashire, England
Line Number: 25
Schedule Number: 8
Sub Schedule Number: 3
Enumeration District: NXNL
Borough: Ulverston
Registration district: 481-4
Household Members Age
Max Edwards
Eva May Edwards
Joan P Edward 12
This record is officially closed.
Margaret H Edwards
Daisy O Edwards

Findmypast has British newspapers on there, I typed in the name in the search Archer & Sons Liverpool and a few newspaper articles came up, but not necessarily Liverpool papers, there was an article in a Denbighshire paper 1901.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Jan

Joan P Edwards married James Park

Name: Joan P Edwards
Registration Date: Jul 1949
[Aug 1949]
[Sep 1949]
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District: Amounderness
Inferred County: Lancashire
Spouse: Park
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 44

Jan
yfu036

Dear Jan, Thank you for your reply. I found Joan P Edwards married James Park in 1949, but the clue is broken after their marriage. They married at Amounderness.

Re: Family Tree

Thanks to ancestry.com, I found some traces of Alfred D Edwards. He immigrated to Perth Australia. Someone post a photo of Alfred (see attachement). Alfred has three marriages and a big family in Perth. I tried to contact them but there is no reply yet. Fingers crossed.

Re: Henry Edwards
1881 Kelly's Directory of Liverpool has a record of Henry Edwards, lived 84 Newby St. Kirkdale.
1900 Gore's Directory of Liverpool has a record of Henry Edwards, same address, and registered as engineer.
My speculation is that Henry Edwards is the same one that I am looking for.

Re: Archer & Sons.
British Newspaper Archive has some records about the company's film and lantern screen records from 1897, but I could not find the connection between Edwards and Archer.

Re: Lawson Road

Graeme H. Edwards mentioned twice of Lawson Road. He said that the Lamtham Hall is off Lawson Road, Seaforth, and his brother and him were in Lawson Road. However, I coudn't find this road on the map. There is Rawson Road in Seaforth and the Lamthom Hall (Beatles played there) located off the Rawson Road.

Re: Latham Hall

I found several records of Latham Hall and Lathom Hall. Are they the same place?

Many many thanks

Kurt

Jan

Hi Kurt,

I checked the 1911 directory and it had Lathom Hall listed in Lathom Avenue Seaforth.

There was another Lathom Hall near Ormskirk, that was demolished in the 1920's

Hope that helps

Jan
yfu036

Many thanks, Jan.
I will look at the Directory of 1911.

Ormskirk is a bit too far for Edwards, living in Bootle?

22 mins drive or 3.5 hours walk from Bootle to Ormskirk.
yfu036

Re: Linacre Gasworks, Bootle

Henry Edwards married Margaret Hannah Parry in 1887 in Shanghai.

The wedding announcement is as follows:

EDWARDS-PARRY-May 7, at Shanghai, China, by special licence, Henry Edwards, Shanghai Gas Company, and late of Linacre Gasworks, Bootle, to Margaret Hannah, eldest daughter of Dianel Parry, Alexandra Hotel, Marshlane, Bootle.
yfu036

RE: Linacre gasworks & Liverpool United Gaslight Company.

I found something interesting today.

Gasworks, Linacre, Liverpool Mercury, 30 March 1885.

On Monday last, the employees of the Liverpool United Gaslight Company, at their Linacre works, presented a valuable box of drawing instruments and a purse of gold to Mr. Henry Edwards, who has been appointed assistant engineer and manager to the Shanghai Gas Company. The chair was occupied by Mr. W. King, M. Inst. C. E., the engineer of the company, and Mr. Eastwood, the manager of the Linacre works. The presentation was made by Mr. Eastwood; and speeches were given by Messrs. Hiller, Carter, Yardley, Dulsom, Hirst, &c. Mr. Edwards has been at the Linacre works for ten years, and by his ability and unfailing Courtesy has won golden opinions. It is worthy of note that his father received a similar presentation about 30 years ago, on his leaving the employ of the Liverpool Gas Company to be engineer of the gasworks at Flensburg, Denmark.

This news confirms Henry Edwards worked at Linacre works, before joining Shanghai Gas Company. And there seems to be a close relationship between these two companies.