Joan Travis - 26 Rufford Rd c. 1944 WAAF

Find Bootle friends and family here
AndyK_Aus

Hi all,

My first post in the group - but I've enjoyed reading a lot of interesting posts.

Hoping that someone may be able to help me out? I'm trying to find out any information about a family member, whom I know very little about.

All I know is that she was called Joan Travis - and that in 1944 she lived at 26 Rufford Road, and was an Aircraftwoman in the WAAF.

I'm guessing that she might have been in her late teens or twenties at this point.

I don't know how long she lived there, who else was at the property - or when she was born or passed away. Any information would be greatly received.

Thanks for reading!
BOBHAMO

Welcome Andy
i have looked the years 1938, 1949, 1962 , 1968
but no Travis in Rufford road
i can give you all the Travis families in liverpool
1911, 1938, 1949, 1962, 1968
mabe that might help with other family members
with it being 1944 no directories
Rufford road is where i played as a kid :D :D :D
had a few mates there
the houses are still there
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
AndyK_Aus

Thank you so much.

I don’t know anything other than what is mentioned on a relative’s birth certificate from 1944 (and I’m pretty sure it says Rufford Road, Bootle - but not sure what it says after that) - a single / unmarried mother (which I guess was not uncommon in the war years).

Anything that you’re able to share, would be greatly appreciated.

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of WAAF information available … and not really easy to research in person from Australia!!

Thanks again. Have a great day!
Bonesy

Bob, we had family live in Rufford Rd (is it the road to the side of the Broadway stores)
The family name was Jenkins. Could you check it for me please.

Keith
BOBHAMO

1938 Keith :D :D :D :D :D
Andy are there other relations local
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bonesy

Nice one Bob, number 9 Ruffled Rd.

Keith
AndyK_Aus

Unfortunately not Keith

The directory you shared from 1938 - do you have a later one, to show whether Jay / Jas.(on)? Gray was still living at 26 Rufford?

A
BOBHAMO

there are 7 Jason Grays in liver pool the only bootle one
bakery manager 120 southport road
the others
old swan
liv 7
wallesey
upton
birkenhead
will need more info of your search
of bootle relations

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Allanfoy

Hi Andy,

I have not been onto this forum for a few weeks and just logged back on and saw this post. I have been looking into family members in this area from the 20's up to the late 40's and there is a Joan Travis within my family line and relations.

There are a few ways to spell the surname though and we have it spelt both as Travis and Travers so not 100% certain it could be the same connections.

We have a link to a Joseph Travers/Travis in that area too? The connection to my family is via the surname Horder if this is any use to you?

Allan

AndyK_Aus wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:46 am Hi all,

My first post in the group - but I've enjoyed reading a lot of interesting posts.

Hoping that someone may be able to help me out? I'm trying to find out any information about a family member, whom I know very little about.

All I know is that she was called Joan Travis - and that in 1944 she lived at 26 Rufford Road, and was an Aircraftwoman in the WAAF.

I'm guessing that she might have been in her late teens or twenties at this point.

I don't know how long she lived there, who else was at the property - or when she was born or passed away. Any information would be greatly received.

Thanks for reading!
Jan

Hi Andy,

I don't know how relevant this is, but I found this on the Forces War Records website, You have to pay to view the records, but I don't know what information it holds

First NameOrder by First Name Surname Service Number Rank Record Year Unit
Joan Travis 2096340 1941 Royal Air Force

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
AndyK_Aus

Thank you so much - I'll see what the cost is!
Jan

:(

Not much info given I'm afraid.

First Name:
Joan
Surname:
Travis
Information:
They joined the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. They were enrolled by the Inspectorate of Recruiting. They enlisted after May 1941.
Service Number:
Service:
Royal Air Force
Primary Unit:
Royal Air Force
Archive Reference:
AIR 78 159 1
Royal Air Force during World War 2
More information about Royal Air Force

Formed: 1918

While the British were not the first to make use of heavier-than-air military aircraft, the RAF is the world's oldest independent air force: that is, the first air force to... read more here >>
Collection:
Royal Air Force Nominal Index of Airmen and Airwomen 1918 to 1975

Campaign Medals:
War Medal 1939-1945

Purchase This Medal
1939-45 Star

Purchase This Medal
* Medal entitlement listed above is worked out using the same methodology the MOD used for issuing them
The record you are viewing contains all the information available from the original source, either fully transcribed for you or as an index and attached image.
Other collections may hold more or different data for this person.

The MOD still hold all the records from WW2 and will not release them under the 100 year rule. You could try and ask for research to be carried out but it is a long and costly process, and no guarantee that records will be found. You will also need to prove kinship and proof of birth/death for your relative in order to get any information.

Sorry that isn't much help to you.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.