Murphy/Whelan Kirk Street

Find Bootle friends and family here
izabeller

Hi! I’m new here & hoping to learn about some family members who lived in 5/6 Kirk Street from the early 1900s until perhaps the 50s & possibly onwards.
I’m looking in particular for info on Rose Ann Murphy & her husband John Patrick Whelan.

Rose Ann’s parents Patrick & Mary Catherine Murphy moved to Kirk Street between 1901 & 1911. Rose Ann worked as a caramel wrapper in 1911. She had three sisters (Rebecca, Annie & Margaret) and two brothers (Maurice & Patrick Jr).

Rose Ann married John Patrick Whelan, a dock labourer, and they had 5 daughters (Kitty, Rose Ann Jr, Rebecca, Margaret & Josephine) and one son (John Patrick Jr).
Rose Ann Jr married John G Jones & Margaret married James Topping.
I believe John Patrick Whelan Sr lived in Kirk Street until he died in 1958.

As you can see I have quite a lot of info already from genealogy sites but would love to know more.
If anyone has any recollections about any of these people I would love to hear from you. Thank you!
BOBHAMO

Hi Izarbella welcome :D :D :D
John is there no 5
1955 party
with it being such a long time ago hard to find any residents
my nan worked as a sweet wrapper Williams toffie works
same as Rose :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Love it Bob, especially the Mersey memories street guide from Kirk Street, from my memory i would have had Georgie Greens shop at no 4, Agnes Rowley at no 62 would have been known as McConnells sweet shop, on the other side i had it down as John Tilley decs , wide entry then the McGuirks and then the Bradshaws.Names of quite a few old classmates families. JJC.
izabeller

Hi and thank you! Lovely photographs. I forget how long ago it was. I always think of the 50s as being 50 years ago rather than 70! I‘m pleased to learn the name of the factory & will look into it. Thanks again :D