Advice for a look up please

Find Bootle friends and family here
vicbee

Hi Gang and thanks for all your help with past info,any help now would be really appreciated as I have hit a brick wall. I am trying to find details of when my great grandmother died and how. Her name was Elizabeth Cleary, Born Elizabeth CAREY 1889,the surname was changed at some time before her marriage to my great grandfather Stella Sterian Stanciu Casaru on 01/04/1911. They had 7 children the last being Marjorie Casaru born in 1925. I have my great grandfathers death certificate, he died 14/06/1930 under sad circumstances, he committed suicide aged 41 ( only just found this out on receipt of his death certificate) . I was always told that Marjorie was left an orphan when he died so I assumed that Elizabeth died first. I cannot find her death certificate from 1925 - 1930, I have also tried up until the 1950's although I know this can't have happened. The only other thing I can think is that she may have re-married after the last child was born in 1925 and Stella's death in 1930, although my family has never mentioned this. Any advice on where or how to look would be greatly appreciated.

Vic
researching Brennan, Porter, Carey,Kneen, Casaru, Barber, Hegarty.
Jan

:D

Hi Vicbee,

I will try and help if I can, I found the marriage on lancs BMD and Stella's surname is spelt as follows!

CLEARY Elizabeth CASARN Stella West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/270/31

But on Ancestry it is spelt Casaru!

Leave it with me, see what I can dig out.

Jan
vicbee

Jan

Thanks, I have the marriage certificate and all the childrens birth certs too, there were 7, 2 of whom died, I have their death certs. It is only Elizabeth's death details that I cannot find.

Elizabeth is at 70 Shelley St in the 1901 census, the family surname here is Carey, this was changed at sometime by the family to Cleary before the marriage to Stella.

I was led to believe that the youngest Marjorie born in 1925 was left an orphan when Stella died so I assumed that Elizabeth died between 1925 and 1930 when Stella died.

Stella's name on his death certificate was Sterian Stella Stephen Casaru.

Vic
Jan

:? :shock:

Hi Vic,

Wow what a tricky one!

Where were the family living at the time of Stella's death? Where were all the other children? I looked up some of their birth reg's and some have mother's maiden name as Cleary and Marjorie has MMN as Carey, how strange!

Does Stella's death cert give any clues, like Widower of........ etc, or who registered the death?

I can only think at this stage at looking at Electoral rolls for the address on the death cert to try and see who else is listed at the address at time of death, maybe even old newspapers with obituary in.

The guys on the Liverpool & SW lancs genealogy site would be very interested in this post, maybe I could post the details on there and ask my friends for some help, some super sleuths on there!

Jan
Jan

Vic,

Was Stella Roumanian?

I found a Stella Casaru on The Ellis Island site travelling from Liverpool in 1921 and 1922 on the Vasari, I can't get the ships manifest details because it is a paysite, but if you go to the site it is free to register and if you type in the name Stella Casaru you will get 3 listings, all say same place of birth and age etc, and all say married, I wonder if Elizabeth may have left England for some reason :roll: I can't find her on the Ellis Island site though, this is very strange, I looked in the deaths from 1925 (thought that she may have possibly died in child birth over Marjorie, but nothing listed!

Have a look at the Ellis Island site anyway, I might be totally wrong.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp

I wonder if Stella lost his job and that resulted in his death!

VASARI / ARCTIC QUEEN / PISCHEVAYA INDUSTRIYA 1908
was a 10,117 gross ton ship, length 486ft x beam 59.3ft, one funnel, two masts, singlew screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 200-1st, 48-2nd and 70-3rd class passengers. Built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co, Middlesborough (engines by Richardson, Westgarth & Co, Middlesborough), she was launched on 8th Dec.1908 for Lamport & Holt Line's New York - South America service. Her maiden voyage started on 24th Apr.1909 when she left Middlesborough for Plymouth, New York and Buenos Aires. Chartered to the Cunard Steamship Co, she started her first New York - Liverpool voyage on 17th Jun.1919 and commenced her seventh and last round voyage Liverpool - New York on 13th Sep.1921. In 1928 she was sold to Hellyer Bros, Hull, converted into a fish factory ship and renamed ARCTIC QUEEN. Sold to the USSR in 1935 and renamed PISHCHEVAYA INDUSTRIYA, she was scrapped at Kaohsiung in 1979. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.162] [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, p.100] [Lamport + Holt by P.M.Heaton]

Jan
vicbee

Hi Jan

Thanks for all your help!!! Stella was Romanian, I knew about him being on the Ellis Island site. Stella's death certificate has his place of death as 230 Gloucester Road, cause of death 'found dead in bed, coal gas poisoning, suicide, unsound mind'. There are no other family members listed on the death cert, although it says an inquest was held 16th June 1930, 2 days after his death. Do you know if I would be able to get any further details of the inquest ??

Vic
Jan

Hi Vic,

I think the inquests may be at Liverpool Records Office or maybe Crosby library, depending on who the coroner was and which district.

I think the same info is on the death cert and on the inquest so prob not much difference there.

The only other way would be the electoral registers for that time to see who lived at that address.

Jan
granny1945

Hi
Does your family have a Maurice J. CASARU :?:
I am searching for details of him
and looking for his parents
he would be born in the 1920's
and Married Lancaster 1944 to Eileen Mary BELL/SMITH
Any help would be great
I thought the unusual name would be easy to research but Maurice seems to be very elusive :cry:
His first daughter was named Marjorie
Thanks for any assistance
Christine
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
granny1945

Thank you Peter
Glad I found the site
Christine :D
Jan

Hi Christine,

I found Maurice's marriage in 1944,

I also found this death reg but found no birth reg in England or Wales in 1914,

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005
about Maurice Joseph Casaru
Name: Maurice Joseph Casaru
Birth Date: 4 Aug 1914
Death Registration Month/Year: Nov 1988
Age at death (estimated): 74
Registration district: Lancaster
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 40
Page: 1592

Do you have a copy of his marriage cert with father's name and occupation on?

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
granny1945

Hi Jan
Thank you for that and I think it confirms that he could be related to another lady on this site
and she has his father as
Stella Sterian Stanciu Casaru
and Ellis Island shows him as a mariner
and his father was Stanciu a farmer
I have contacted her and hope she will reply
This family is connected to my step children
Maurice was their Grandfather
I really apreciate the death info as the children could not remember when he died
Christine
Jan

Christine,

I found this birth reg in 1914 in the actual images and this is the nearest I can find, there is also a Mary born 1913 mother's maiden name spelt Clary in that reg

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
about Maurice Casarn
Name: Maurice Casarn
Year of Registration: 1914
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's Maiden Name: Cleary
District: West Derby
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 720

We have often found variants of name spellings in the indexes, so I wouldn't rule that out.

Jan
granny1945

Thank you so much Jan
I am happy that is him
You have been a great help
I have found him and Elizabeth on the 1911 census
index
need someone to get the image for me now :(
Christine
:lol:
Jan

Christine,

This is the transcript!

CASARU, STELLA HEAD MARRIED M 22 SAILOR ROUMANIA BRAILA
CASARU, ELIZABETH WIFE MARRIED 3 DAYS F 21 AT HOME BOOTLE LANCASHIRE

Address 258 DERBY ROAD BOOTLE

Jan
granny1945

That is fabulous :D
I am happy I have the correct family now
Thanks again
If I can help you in anyway let me know
Christine
:lol:
vicbee

Hi

sent you a PM

Vic
Esther

Hello,
Hoping to have a reply although this was posted some time ago! My grandmother was Majorie Casaru, looking to find out more about this side of my family!
Reboot2054

Don't know about Casaru, but my great-grandfather Albert Cleary was born Carey in Ireland and later changed his name. He had a sister Elizabeth, though the birth year is given as 1890: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript ... xpand=true

Did you trace their father Maurice back to Ireland? I'm just starting out on my family history exploration.

Thanks,

Paul Cleary