St James chesnut grove

Find Bootle friends and family here
larry nolan

any st james old boys still out there, i went to the jimmies from 1952 to 1956 , my teachers barney robbo. chris clog. murphy. woolfarth. clancy. few of them had there hair cut at my dads shop near parrs on stanley road / little lolly nolan
nicolas

Deleted.
Last edited by nicolas on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

m y eldest daughter linda attended :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
WatsonTommy

went to st James left Easter 1 958 knew all them teachers and nuns barmy robbos daughter is the Anne Robinson on the telly went to his funeral in Crosby Ann came over and ask why we were there we said he was our teacher she asked us back for a drink etc :D he was a long range sniper in the war (artillery officer) only one that never beat us up) CLANCY was a bully he would sneak up on you pinch and hold of your sideburns saying stand up sunny Jim :twisted: it didn't half hurt Murphy was the woodwork teacher teaching us how to make pokers :D and wouldn't think twice about throwing a chunk of wood at anyone class :roll:
Pkegs

Pamsy (Joined: 21 Jul 2006)

Keegan, Hayward, Rigg, Carruthers, Mee, Hough

Born and bred in Bootle
Augustin

Does anyone remember the Murphy family from Chestnut Grove? they lived right across from the main entrance of St Jimmy's Church around 1960. There was Mary who used to work in Williams Toffee Works in Well Lane (she used to smoke my Senior Service Cigarettes or 'Woodies' when I was broke. LOL). Then there was Danny and a younger brother whose name I can't remember right now. And then there was ....Bridie! Ah Bridie....around 1960 we were 'an item' back then (going steady) but we split up when I emigrated to Canada (Vancouver Island if anyone out there is interested).

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows anything about Bridie or the family.Oh yeh, I first met Bridie when we worked together at Nettlefold & Mosers on Dunnings Bridge Road in Netherton.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

WOW, I miss Bootle..
filsgreen

Hi Augustin, welcome to the forum. I'm not from the Lane, I grew up in Orrell. I'm sure Matt will be along shortly, he's a fellow Vancouver Islander. I'm sure he'll have lots in common with you. :D
Matt

Hi Augustin.If you know Chestnut Grove then you must have passed my uncle(Dr John Wethered) surgery may times.
We have lived on Vancouver Island a long time.Me for 50 years and my wife Sheila for 49 years. 8 years in Tahsis and
42 in Duncan.I used to live in the prefabs in the South Park and Sheila was born at #2 Southey Street off Marsh Lane but then emigrated to
Westminster Road Kirkdale :) close to and on the same side as the Kirkdale Homes.
Matt Wethered.
Augustin

Hey thanks for the welcome filgreen (and for the 'warning' that Matt would soon be replying) LOL. Matt did reply and we are now corresponding, in fact, I'll write him now. Thanks again.

Augustin
Augustin

The Nephew of Dr John Wethered, yeh, I remember the Surgery, right on the corner if my memories serves me right. And those Prefabs you mentioned in South Park. We lived on Southport Road by St Monnies Church on Fernhill Road in a house my father bought with winnings from the Irish Sweepstakes; unfortunately he died of Cancer in 1952 after working in the Gladstone Dock for many years, but my mother kept me, my brother and sister together by working shifts at the Jacobs Biscuit Factory.

Wow! you are a Pioneer compared to me then Matt. I arrived in Canada in 1966, lived in London (Ontario) for ten years, married a Canadian Lass, raised three children and moved to Alberta (Edmonton) then when I went into retirement in 2005, came to live on 'The Island' in Qualicum Beach and have been here ever since, and NO not playing Golf either. LOL.you probably have heard that we have more Golf Courses here per capita than anywhere else in the country. I have one daughter living in Vancouver, another living in Edmonton and a son living in Lac La Biche, and a whole 'pride' of grandchildren.

I know Duncan reasonably well; I volunteered with an outfit called Wheels for Wellness out of Comox driving Patients to Victoria for Chemo treatment all along the Coast. So how do you like Duncan Matt? I would have preferred Duncan myself too but in 2005-7 there was little to choose from in rental property there; the difference in home values between Edmonton and British Columbia were (and still are) ridiculous, way beyond my Budget.

Hey, I just got back from Grocery Shopping (at Quality Foods in Parksville) I'm standing at the Deli Counter and this man (guy) LOL with his wife in tow asks me "Are you local?" yeh, why? I asked, "Well what's good Bacon to buy here?" he was from the Old Country on his 'Hols' LOL. So I told him I was no wiser than him and quoted my mother when she was visiting me and buying Bacon saying "It's all FAT, I wanna make a nice Bacon Buttey" LOL. He reminded me that in the UK "we call it 'Streaky Bacon' LOL.

Next time you're up this way Matt, there's a lovely Cafe in Coombs where Goats actually live on the roof. LOL.

Thanks for you're reply, it was good to hear from you.

Augustine
Matt

Hi Augustin I know where you lived on Southport/Fernhill Roads as my friend all through Junior School(Christ Church 1948) and the Boys Grammar school 1953-1958,
lived opposite St. Monica's. Bob Wycherley was his name.His dad worked at Bibby's as a sign painter.Most of my Canadian family live in Edmonton but all my cousins support
The Oilers in winter and the Eskimo's in summer :twisted: :twisted: :lol: We know Coombs very well.Actually we first came to Paradise Island when Coombs and the market
used to be a type of artist/wood carving/metal working etc.colony before the Korean outfit bought everything and made all those little stores just souvenir shops all selling
the same tee shirts,beach towels,little totem poles and usual junk made in China.Duncan is great.Both our daughters attended the same schools there and in fact our eldest daughter Sarah is
over from New Westminster to attend the high school reunion(30th) for the graduating class of 1988.She is a teacher librarian at New Westminster High School and our youngest daughter Linda
just got remarried last week and works as one of the directors for the BC Dept of Finance in Victoria.
More later.Great to have another Islander on the forum.
Matt
Augustin

Thanks again for the 'Welcome' Matt, and all that news. Just LOVELY!

My daughter lives in Maple Ridge on The Mainland and have a son living in Alberta (Lac La Biche) and another daughter living in Edmonton. I actually lived in St Albert and commuted to Edmonton to work. Oh yes, I vividly recall the Oilers and the Eskimos (how could you not living in Edmonton? LOL). Once I settled in St. Albert I coached a Mini-Mite Soccer team and never knew a thing about Soccer; I actually had to ask my brother in law (a Canadian) to help. The parents thought that with a Scouse accent I MUST know everything about Soccer; even now when I meet someone knew they ask "Blue or Red?" LOL. Bob Wycherley! Bob Wycherley! yeh, you know the name does 'ring a bell' I'll bet Bob was a neighbour of the Murphy's.

I started school at Christ Church Gloucester Road Primary in 1947, then went to Christ Church on Hawthorne Road (It's now a YMCA) then on to Christ Church (Eden Vale, do you remember it Matt? it was a converted house opposite Christ Church at the Roundabout, sorry, 'Traffic Circle' LOL). I sat the 'Eleven Plus' (and failed) ending up in (wait for it)......Balliol Secondary Modern School on Breeze Hill, you will obviously remember that school Matt. So yes, although Bob ended up in Grammar School I WOULD have known him.

I know New West is a pretty big City but I have lot's of friends there myself. Sounds as though Linda has a really good job, and in Victoria of all places on the Island, but in government where else would she live! When I dropped Patients off at 'The Jube' I would drive around Victoria and think what a beautiful place it would be to live; it really is nice isn't it? but WOW! the price of houses! I must ask the children of friends who raised their children in New West if they happen to know the Librarian at New West High, you never know, small coincidences (small, small world).

You're right Matt, not a lot of change in Coombs, of course most of they're business is seasonal with Tourists travelling to the Pacific Rim National Park through Port Alberni, but you must admit, they DO have a rich and varied selection of merchandise don't they? as you say; all originating in China. LOL.

Yeh, Bridie Murphy, what a lovely girl she was/is; I'd love to hear how she is doing; you know! who she married, any children etc., I was so 'head over heels' with her (I was eighteen) I would travel to Ireland where she was born and raised. I used to walk down Earl Road, then along Hawthorne Road to Marsh Lane to catch the Bus to work on Dunnings Bridge Road. We would sit on the 'Top Deck' smoking our 'ciggies' LOL. I have been back a couple of times and WOW has it ever changed; NATURALLY!

Lovely 'Blogging' with you Matt and recalling so much. Take care. Talk again soon.

Augustine.
Skinnyh

My Gran & Grandad lived in chestnut grove during the war till around 1963/4 Grandad was the caretaker at St James for a while, my family lived in Boreland St off March lane before moving up to Ford, big family 11 Children.
This lockdown gets you thinking about the good old day’s.
I remember the coal merchants and the place further down Marsh lane were we used to take our old clothes and exchanged them for plates & cups etc or if I was lucky I’d come away with a balloon.
I also remember that barber shop that someone mentioned by Parr’s on Stanley road.

Memories hey
COLLY

my dads class st james 1950
fatboyjoe90

Hope you don't mind me enlarging your photo Colly. :wink: :)

That photo at the back of the class was still there when attended a couple of years later. :lol: :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Sallyhughes

Augustin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:29 pm Does anyone remember the Murphy family from Chestnut Grove? they lived right across from the main entrance of St Jimmy's Church around 1960. There was Mary who used to work in Williams Toffee Works in Well Lane (she used to smoke my Senior Service Cigarettes or 'Woodies' when I was broke. LOL). Then there was Danny and a younger brother whose name I can't remember right now. And then there was ....Bridie! Ah Bridie....around 1960 we were 'an item' back then (going steady) but we split up when I emigrated to Canada (Vancouver Island if anyone out there is interested).

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows anything about Bridie or the family.Oh yeh, I first met Bridie when we worked together at Nettlefold & Mosers on Dunnings Bridge Road in Netherton.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

WOW, I miss Bootle..
Sallyhughes

Hi
I’m a new Yorker to this site having just posted the Celtic outing to Dublin!!!
Not sure if it’s the same Murphys but my great gran lived at 69 Chestnut Grove- they were the Hourahans, and my Gran, Aileen Hourahan, married Ted Murphy in 1919 ( I think) my mum , Joan Murphy, was born in the house. I have photos which say “grans garden” in the 20’s
So my mums generation-1923-32 I think we’re all born in that house- Joan, Monica, Ted and Brian. All sadly not here now. Not sure which school they went to but I know Monica was a tear away and at school she was always in trouble, used to set fire to the pigtails of the girl in front!!
Will try and dig out photos at the weekend. Probably not the same murphys but I guess thery are interconnected somehow! Lovely to be in touch with you all!
Sallyhughes

And I’m. It a New Yorker- new USER!!!!
Motto is read before posting!!!
Sallyhughes

Also- i live in Scotland and have no one left in Liverpool after generations being born and brought up there, and a family of seagoers, mum was a WREN and Dad on the subs and his dad chief engineer WW1 etc... sad the Liverpool link is no more. My aunt Enid used to sing at the Liverpool philharmonic. So I have such fond memories of generations although I was brought up in Rainhill so a bit away.
Anyway all this is leading to asking is chestnut grove still there? And copy lane where my gran moved to and lived with my mum?
Thanks everybody
Sally
BOBHAMO

Sally Copy lane is still there lots of photos
Chesnut grove is gone b ut will put photos on
if you want i can give a list of people who lived in both
if you give the surname
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Matt

What subs did your dad serve on Sally? I was in boats from 1962 -1968. Anchorite, Orpheus, spare crew Dolphin, Andrew and Auriga.The 3 "A" boats in Singapore and the "O" boat Gareloch Faslane.My wife Sheila's sister was in the Jenny Wrns both her and her husband were Pay Writers in Devonport Base and my uncle Dr John Wethered had his surgery in Chestnut Grove.
Matt
Sallyhughes

Hi Matt
Dad was on several ships including Dolphin actually but latterly the sub Seadog. He was in Singapore too but during the war and was in Ceylon when Japan surrendered. Mum was at Devonport with the Wrens too, small world! Then land army at Haverfordwest west.
Well I guess your Dads surgery will have featured in my family’s life I’m sure! I’ll post some pics of Chestnut Grove ASAP.
So Bob when you said there are pics, presume I just scroll down this site?
Family name- Hourahan, Murphy
Thanks all, looking forward to spending more time looking through all of this, appreciate your warm welcome!
Sally
Vonron@talktalk.net

I left in 1953. Was Barney Robbo Ann Robinson’s dad and is abbey Clancy any relation to Jonny Clancy
peter c

Hi Larry,
Are you the Larry who's parents ran a shop on , I think it was called, Pine Grove?
If so I went to school with you at St.Monica's.
I have just been browsing the site and I saw your name. I think your shop was close to and across the road from Peter LeSurf (sorry about the spelling)
I lived in Park Street and I used to stop at your shop and we would walk to St. Monica' s together ( if I was lucky your mom would give me some sweets).
So nice to see familiar names, hope you are keeping well.
I now live in Canada now but I still have family in the Uk and I also have some very good memories of my time in Bootle.
Cheers.
nicolas

Vonron@talktalk.net wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:04 am I left in 1953. Was Barney Robbo Ann Robinson’s dad and is abbey Clancy any relation to Jonny Clancy
I left in 1956, Johnny Clancy died a Year later.