Former LFC player Maurice Parry

Find Bootle friends and family here
kieransmith

Good evening,

I am looking for any information that you may have on Maurice Parry, the former Liverpool player, who died on the 24th March, 1935 in Bootle. I understand he resided in the area and I wondered if you also knew of the whereabouts of his grave?

Very best wishes

Kieran Smith
Mack
Site Admin

Welcome aboard Kieran,

Hopefully one of our FAB Genies may find some info for you :)

Happy posting,

Mack
lily8

Full name Maurice Price/Pryce Parry born 1877 I have a dental appointment up in Cairns this morning but will follow up later, the other 'Genies will probably add more in the meantime.
Lily
Thommos sister

Ouch Lily!! when you pay the bill.... :D G'day Kieran welcome aboard. After 1911 census I don't have any directories to check on where Maurice was and he was deceased in 1935 in Bootle before the 1938 Directory. In 1891 he is 13 in Oswestry where he was born with his father Samuel Pryce Parry 59 leather manufacturer. Mother Sarah 47 nee Davies, he has 5 siblings and employed a servant at 99 Parkington Terr. All were born in Oswestry. There is a tree in Ancestry and someone has posted 2 photos of Maurice. His father died in 1893. Maurice is not with his Mum and sibs in 1901 or 1911 where she has private means. Samuel must have left them comfortably off. The tree states in 1900 he was an international footballer, I'm wondering if they got that from his marriage certificate? Back soon T.S
Thommos sister

I've found a Maurice Parry 35 bn Osw, in 1911 boarding in Stretford dock labr on the M/C ship canal sadly widowed with 2 kiddies Charles 9 and Annie 6 both born Manchester. Here's an amazing link about him which may fill in the blanks, cheers T.S
https://playupliverpool.com/tag/maurice-parry/
henry

He was a Liverpool defender; A big strong player he gained 16 caps with Wales;Went to Anfield from Newton and was a great help towards Liverpool securing the championship in 1905-06 in a half back line that read Parry,Raisbeck, and Bradley .Thats all the info i could find and do not know any of his details
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Jan

Hi welcome to the site.

There are a couple of articles in the newspapers on line at find my past regarding Maurice's death, but I don't have a sub to be able to read them, it might mention where his funeral took place.

These are only parts of the articles that are showing on the website. A sub is needed to be able to read the full articles.

Pearson, OConneU. Maudsley DEATH OF M. PARRY Former International Half Back The death occurred during the week-end of Mr. Maurice Parry, many times Welsh international wing half-back, one-time manager of Rotherham Town and coach to Liverpool F.C. until two
26 March 1935 - Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

allotment to them has been totally malequate to meet the demands of their own suppor'ers. „ Former Rotherham Manager Mr. Maurice Parry, a former manager of Rotherham Eniled, died at Bootle, on Sunday from chronic bronchitis. He was a, famous international
26 March 1935 - Sheffield Independent - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
kieransmith

[quote][/quote]
Hi everyone and thank you for the info so far.
Best Wishes
Kieran
lily8

Hi Keiran what specific information do you require is it family history or his playing life or both????
Lily
lily8

Off Thread::::

Yes Teens I needed a cup of tea and a bex on getting the quote from my dentist I swear those dentists along with vets charge like wounded bulls :shock: :cry:
Lily
lily8

Hi again Keiran did some research this morning and if you are a relative you should be mighty proud of this gentleman, though no records of his WW1 service survive his medal index card does and from that the following information was gained/or constructed. Maurice joined the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry in which he rose to the rank of NCO Sergeant, in or about June of 1915 he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant 7th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers and saw service in the horrific theatre that was Gallipoli. His final rank at end of war was Lieutenant. I will get a copy of the MIC. Back later

Here it is::

Last edited by lily8 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
lily8

I note that you are looking for a grave and can only suggest that Crosby Library may have obituaries for him in the Bootle papers he passed away on the 24th March 1935. I don't know where you are located but if not local maybe an email to them to ask if they could have a look for you?????? Funeral notices and obits often give the cemetery (if not always). Contact for Crosby Library

crosby.library@sefton.gov.uk

I am reasonably sure that he married Edith Maud Urquhart in the Dec Qtr 1901 at Barton upon Irwell (Greater Manchester) and she sadly died in 1907.
Last edited by lily8 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Thommos sister

Lily, love the reply re dentist and vets, so true!! Great find medal card. Some good info about Maurice here.
T.S
Jan

There are some records on FMP but no year of birth etc, and the name has been transcribed wrong.

Parry Maurice Pyrce — — 1914-20 First World War —

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.