Bostock Street Bootle cum Linacre

Find Bootle friends and family here
Sonoma

Anybody know where this street is/was ?
My grandfather was a boarder in a house there in 1900

Thanks
lily8

You might be interested in this item photo follows

A row between a couple after an all day drinking session led to the all too familiar scenario of one dead and the other being sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment.

On 1st October 1890 Esther Martin hosted a gathering at her home in Bostock Street, which involved a lot of drinking from 10 o'clock in the morning. By late afternoon most had left or retired to bed when Esther heard moaning from the cellar. On going down to investigate she found her friend Sarah Scarisbrick lying there with her clothes ripped and blood coming from wounds in her shoulder and abdomen.

Sarah was still conscious and said she had been stabbed by another guest, Robert Jones, a 42 year old gas fitter with whom she co-habited. He was sat by her saying nothing. Sarah's sister Ellen Rainford heard the commotion and went to the cellar and on seeing what had happened, told him that he had now finished her sister off like he often said he would.

Ellen ran to find a a policeman and when two officers arrived, they bravely intervened to stop Jones when he took a knife out of his pocket and attempted to cut his own throat. A police officer arrived and on being arrested Jones said 'I can't say owt about it.' Sarah was taken to the Northern Hospital but died the following day from shock as a result of the wounds.

When Jones appeared at the Liverpool Assizes on 15th December, people who had been there on the day told how they had been arguing over whether or not Sarah would have a child with him. Sarah's family members said that Jones had a violent temper when drunk, but they were generally a contented couple.

Jones's solicitor made no attempt to deny that Jones had committed the deed. However he pointed to the lack of premeditation and amount of drink consumed. After Justice Cave directed the jury not to consider a murder verdict they found Jones guilty of manslaughter but there was little leniency in sentencing, as he was ordered to serve fifteen years in gaol.
Lily
lily8

bostock street 1972
Lily
BOBHAMO

bostock street was built 1851
it had a name change to kirk street 1907
bostock street ,kirk streetwas at the back of the buildings
this is what your grandad would have seen
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Just a little bit confused regarding the report of the crime, it mentions hearing moaning coming from the cellar, to the best of my knowledge Bostock St/Kirk St did not have cellars,( the shops at the bottom of the street on Derby Rd did have cellars), would like to know what number Bostock St it was. Also on Bobs brilliant Mersey memories street guide i can see no mention of the 2 shops in the street, one at the top, Mc Connell's and the one at the bottom by the Queens, Georgie Greens,, also in the pic lily8 put up showing Bostock St 1972,i think that must be the street of the same name off Scotland rd/ Great Homer st..(loads of posters on the site from Kirky, hope you can put me straight if i am mistaken), ps Bob, a Mersey memory street guide from Seaforth St would be gratefully appreciated if you have one. JJC.
Sonoma

Thanks for all of the information. I didn't know Bostock became Kirk St. I know where Kirk St was as I went to St Winnies school.
lily8

JJC info was from the Liverpool gruesome murder site
Lily
James Moorcroft

Mcnulty's. almost next door to George Greens shop had a small fruit and veg, probably their parlour. I remember they also had a penny fruit machine, where bless them, Tommy Devine and Owen Rogers would try and win their Saturday afternoon picture money for the Sunhall or the Palace. The only place where a cellar could in have been in Kirky would be the Queens. I can't recall, would it have been in Kirky or Derby Rd?. Jim
joansgirl

hi all im doing my family geneology and the names im searching at present is greens (my grandmothers side ) they also lived in Bostock street :) and also the Hannahs and Cavanahs I noted in comments a George green is mentioned was wondering if this is my great grandfather information i have is his wife I think was ivy I have a copy of a photo taken in bostock street on the occasion of my grandmother greens 13th birthday 1911 was just wondering if George green was my grand mothers brother he would have been 6 years old on the photo also on the photo is my great grandmother sarah and my great grandfather George .......will upload as soon as I get a chance

joansgirl :)

PS LOVE THE PHOTOS :)
One bright and guiding light,
That taught me wrong from right,
I found in my mother's eyes.
joansgirl

One bright and guiding light,
That taught me wrong from right,
I found in my mother's eyes.