Shields family

Find Bootle friends and family here
Doe Stewart

Does anybody know what happened to the Shields/Shiels family who lived in Antonio Street??
There was mum Joan and Dad Richard? Son Richard and a daughter whose name I can't remember. I lived in Ursula Street
and was friends with the son, I have often wondered what happened to the family
Ricardo

Hello Doreen
This is Richard Sheils I now live in Sydney Australia and my sister Joan lives in Portugal dad is still around and still in litherland we move there from Antonio st
I will leave a message in private box to so we can chat. Would be really good.
Look forward to catching up.
R
awelfryn34

Hi Doreen,

I was mates with Dick also Colin Jones, Dave Barwise the Smith Bros who all lived in Antonio St.
I was a cousin of Esther O'Brien from Bedford Rd
Doe Stewart

Hi Rich,
Have private messaged you. Thanks for getting in touch. X
Doe Stewart

Preview: Re: Shields family

Nice to hear someone who says they knew Colin Jones from Antonio Street. Colin, his mum and dad and Uncle Eddie lived next door to my nin. He used to have his lunch with us at nins everyday when we were at Bedford Road school. Any idea what happened to Colin? I remember the Barwise family although Dave was more my cousin Phil's age group, he is 3 years older than me. Did the Smith Brothers have a sister Pauline?
awelfryn34

Hi, my Nane is Dennis, Esther OBrien's cousin who lived in Bedford Road. Was friends with Colin,Dave and Richard and the Smith brothers, yes they had a sister Pauline. Colin lives in Australia now in Melbourne, Dave is retired teacher in Ormskirk. I worked with Alan Smith many years ago for Sefton Council, he was an electrician.
Doe Stewart

Hi Dennis,
Lovely to talk to you. Thanks for the update. I had an idea that Colin was going to Australia, he had family out there didn't he? I'm glad he settled over there, he was such a nice person, I remember him with great fondness. I could have put money on Dave becoming a teacher, he looked like a teacher even when he was at school. It's the Smiths sister I remember most of that family although she was younger than me. Did you go to Bedford Road school Then? What year did you start - you weren't in my class were you? I thought there was a Dennis O'Brian in my class?
awelfryn34

Dennis was my cousin who went to Bedford Rd School, I was born in 248 Bedford Rd but moved out when I was 5 but would return every weekend and holidays to be with the Antonio St Gang
Doe Stewart

Good memories of your time in Antonio Street then? It was a great place in the holidays, loads kids. I lived in Ursula Street in one of the prefabs. The only other girl my age was Susan Kirby who lived by the Smiths in Antonio Street. My nin lived at 35 Antonio and Colin next door. My uncle Frank Mathews lived on same side as Barwises infact I'm not sure if he was next door or next but one? You must have gone for sweets then to the little shop - Bulgers?
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Just a small point. Over the years many, many members have referred to the schools they went to. Balliol Sec.and Bedford Rd juniors is often mentioned.

Those posting have fond memories of their school days but others can only relate if the time they were there is included.

A few years either way and there are a different group involved.

I was at Bedford Rd Infants as far back as 1939 and was honoured in recent years when their new boardroom was named after me. I moved around different schools due to the bombings but was at Balliol Road from 1945 till 1950 when I moved onto Bootle Tech.

I doubt many on here will go back that far?

My late sister had a crush on Dom Shiels (Shields) when they were in their teens. :roll:
Doe Stewart

I was at Bedford Road from 1958 to 1964, I think the headmistress was Miss Hibbert.
I then attended Bootle Grammar School for Girls which was on Breeze Hill, I think it is now Hillside High School.