Have I found my Bogue/Boag O'Neill family???

Find Bootle friends and family here
Beano

Hi, I have used this forum before to find some info about James O’Neill who was drowned 1918, Liverpool on board the ‘Justicia’.
I received so much info from forum members that I had quite a lot to work on.
THANK YOU ALL!!!

My Great Great Grandparents Peter O’Neill & Mary Bogue married in Liverpool in 1863.
The above James is their son.
My Great Granda is Francis O’Neill son & brother of above.

I assumed that I would find Peter & Marys parents/siblings etc in Belfast (Peter) or County Tyrone (Mary) & have been searching records from Ireland with no success.

I recently purchased the birth cert for Peter O’Neill born 1902 Belfast & learnt that when my Francis’ son Peter was born in Belfast 1902 Francis is recorded on the birth cert as being in Liverpool.

A few days ago I decided to look on the 1861 census of Liverpool and found Francis O’Neill’s parents:

Peter O’Neill aged 23 living in Hornby Street with Mary Boag/Bogue & her relatives, including James Bogue, Marys’ father.

All my puzzle pieces seem to be falling into place.

So according to this census record I now have:

Ann Cassidy 27 with two of her children, Mary Ann 4 & Catherine 2.
James Boag 59 born Ireland, father of Ann.
Mary Boag 23 born Ireland, sister of Ann.
Peter O’Neill 22 born Ireland, Lodger.
Thomas Boag* 31 born Ireland with his children Catherine 8, Mary 4 born Ireland & James 2 born Lancashire, Liverpool.

I then found a forum post by 42aitch relating to Thomas Bogue of Liverpool who died aged 22 during WW1 and a mention from glossybounce of my searching for Bogues.

Thomas Bogue is the son of James Bogue & Margaret Pluck.

Is WW1 Thomas Bogues’ father the 2 yr old James who is the son of 1861 census Thomas?

Liverpool History Project has the marriage of James Bogue & Margaret Pluck in 1887 & baptisms of some of their children:
Margaret Ann 1889, James 1891 & Catherine 1895.
Haven’t been able to find birth/baptism for Thomas.

WW1 info relating to Bogue/Boag family:

Thomas Bogue died 1916 Australia WW1: Great Grandson of James & Catherine Bogue
Francis O’Neill died 1916 France WW1: Grandson of James & Catherine Bogue.
James O’Neill died 1918 Liverpool, greaser on board ‘Justicia’: Grandson of James & Catherine Bogue.

Glossybounce, the burial records in Ford relating to grave K284 are great:

James Bogue 74 Chestnut Grave age 76 buried in 1938
Rose A Bogue 34 Boreland St. age 71 buried 1910
Margaret Bogue 60 Boreland St. age 46 buried 1914
Catherine Bogue 7 Kirkby Place age 64 buried 1918.

Could there be newspaper insertions/death notices for the above family?

Having had so much help from forum members before I thought I’d try again.
If anyone else is researching Boag/Bogue O’Neill, families I would love to learn more!!!

Beano
alex

The marriage cert ( Liverpool 8b 323 Jul-Sep 1887) for James Boag and Margaret Pluck will give you both James' age and name and occupation of his father. This will help you tie him to the 1861 Census entries.

CWGC details (I presume that you have these:-
Private Thomas Bogue Age 22 died 25 July 1916
Service No. 3023 Australian Infantry A.I.F. 58th Battalion
Grave No I K 102 Rue Petillon Military Cemetery, Fleurbaix

Son of James Bogue and late Margaret Ann Boag 74 Chestnut Grove Bootle England.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... ,%20THOMAS

This family are on the 1910+1 Census at 2 Hooton Place Bootle.

Alex
Beano

Hi Alex, thanks for replying.
I do have census & WW1 info.
In process of purchasing cert.
The 1911 census has a 22 year old John Burns as a relative.
I have came across the Burns name only once relating to Bogues so I may look further into this.

Thanks again,
Beano
Beano

Hi, update on Ann Cassidy nee Bogue widow of James Cassidy.
(24th June) I decided to look for Cassidy burials in Belfast in the Public Records Office.
Within 15 minutes I found an Ann Cassidy who died Nov. 1870 aged 36. This made her birth about 1834.
So the age matched & the address given I recognised as an address connected to my Peter O'Neill & Mary Bogue.
I bought the death cert & it turned out to be my Ann Cassidy with Mary O'Neill (her sister) present at death.
So her children are now orphans and I believe living with Peter and Mary O'Neill.
I will now look for her children in Belfast.

Beano
Beano

Hi, some new info.
A few weeks ago I took a chance & ordered two death certs hoping they would be my relatives:
1. Catherine Bogue died 2nd quarter 1857 Salford, Lancashire 8d 31
2. James Bogue died 2nd quarter 1862 Lancashire 8b 16
I ordered both from Liverpool Register Office & received a phone call from the office informing me that I would have to order Catherine Bogues cert from Salford.
Today I received James Bogues cert & it confirmed that this James Bogue was my Great Great Great Granda.
He died 24.04.1862 aged 62 at 9 Hornby Street. No cause of death recorded & no medical attendance.
Present at death was Thomas Bogue of Bevington Street (his son).
James & Thomas Bogue are both on 1861 census in 4 Hornby Street.
I haven’t been able to find his burial/grave details on line. Any ideas?
Now waiting for Catherines cert!!!
Beano
Beano

Hi, I received a phone call informing me that the Catherine Bogue cert requested was the wrong one, so the search continues.
I am now looking for the birth/baptism info for Ann/Annie O’Neill daughter of Peter O’Neill & Mary Bogue/Boag.
I have Annie’s death in Belfast in 1908 aged 42.
I have her on 1901 census in Belfast aged 32. Place of birth England
So Annie should have been born between 1866 & 1869.
I have searched various sites on line & came up with a possible birth March 1868 in Liverpool for Ann/Anne O’Neill.
I have had great help form forum members in the past so if anyone can help me find a baptism record for Annie O'Neill I would really appreciate it.
Beano
BossHogg

I'm an O'Neill whose family originated from Tyrone! My aunt in Australia did a family tree, unfortunately I lost contact with my family 10 years ago when I moved.