Looking for someone to help with family research

Find Bootle friends and family here
bobcr

Hi
My family is originally from Bootle but moved away when I was very young.
I now live in Scotland and have started to research my family history and have come across some anomalies that I think may need to be investigated by someone who is local to Bootle and has more knowledge than me.
If there is anyone that would be willing to help with this or knows of someone who does that professionally I would be grateful to get in touch,
Bob
glossybonce

Hi Bobcr
I think you have come to the right place, Jan is the lady for the job, she is local, based in Bootle and knows Bootle better than any of the Genies, if it's delicate and needs to be off board I'm sure she will help you.

If you are looking for help with your research and don't mind posting on the board, there are many who will help, either way I'm sure you will get the help you require.

Jan hope its okay to put your name forward. :D
Time is precious.....Waste it wisely.
bobcr

Hi
Thanks for the advice sounds like Jan would be the person I need.
Its not delicate at all really just some confusion and missing details that I think I will need someone local to sort out for me.
Bob
BOBHAMO

Hi Bob and welcome :lol: :lol: most members who live in bootle know a vast
amount of knowledge of are town . from all aspects
, we do photos .school info, work info, past friends
and family addresses ,
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
glossybonce

Hi Bobcr

If its not delicate feel free to post the details and I'm sure people will try to help you.

I hope I have not upset anyone by nominating Jan, I was trying to help out the poster, in my assumption that it was a delicate request, however now that we know it's not, maybe he will post and your knowledge will, as always be needed whether googled or not.
PETER CRAIG

bobcr wrote:Hi
My family is originally from Bootle but moved away when I was very young.
I now live in Scotland and have started to research my family history and have come across some anomalies that I think may need to be investigated by someone who is local to Bootle and has more knowledge than me.
If there is anyone that would be willing to help with this or knows of someone who does that professionally I would be grateful to get in touch,
Bob
Welcome to the Bootle forum Bob,
Peter.
Jan

Hi Bobcr,

If you post your family details, we may be able to help.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
bobcr

Hi
My family came from Liverpool and we lived at morningside road until 1956 when I was 2 and we then left for the lake district because my father was ill and the doctor suggested a move to cleaner air as they did in those days. My father worked at the docks but was run down by a car riding his bike home in the smog and suffered a serious head injury which affected his health for the rest of his life.
I have been recently researching my mothers brother who was Edgar Usher who lived at 246 Rimrose Road with his mother jemima ( nee mclaren ) where I believe she had a shop and was shot down and killed over germany in april 1944 serving with the raf as a navigator. His father aaron worked on the overhead railway as a foreman stonemason and was already deceased when edgar died.
I have his name as my middle name but never knew anything about him as my mother never talked about him and isnt here now to ask and didnt even leave a picture of him.
I found his name on the war graves commission website which told me his mother jemima was his next of kin and he is buried at rheinberg war cemetery in germany where I intend to visit him in june.
Now it gets a little complicated because I also found his name on a headstone in bootle cemetery through the war dead photographic project and paid to have sent a picture of this headstone, his name is on it with his correct service number but it lists also on the headstone his father as arthur ernest usher died 1934 and his mother jane usher died 1972 which was a shock and very confusing to me as I never heard of them.
I always thought he was a single man but my sister who lives in the USA recently found on one of the family history sites an extract from his will saying his next of kin was his wife jane.
So now I dont know who his real mother was or whether he really was married. The war graves commision say his mother and next of kin was jemima and yet the headstone in bootle says his mother was Jane so I am at a loss to know how to get to the bottom of it hence my post looking for someone local to help as it may need some detective work in the local records offices or churches to find marriage, birth and death certificates.
Regards
Bob
lily8

Hi Bob,
Posting this as a start point::

USHER, EDGAR
Rank:SergeantTrade:Nav.Service No:1522473Date of Death:21/04/1944Age:28Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 100 Sqdn. Grave Reference2. J. 4.CemeteryRHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information:

Son of Mrs. J. Usher, of Bootle, Lancashire.

That puts a birth year of 1916
Lily
bobcr

Yes thats him
lily8

Hi Bob if it is possible can you give the names (First) of any siblings struggling to find a birth in 1916.
Lily
lily8

Posting for ref::

right of the entry in question.

Surname

First name(s)

District

Vol

Page

Marriages Sep 1907 (>99%)

BROADBENT James W. Derby 8b 771
GREEN Julia W. Derby 8b 771
McLAREN Jemima W. Derby 8b 771
USHER Aaron W. Derby 8b 771
Lily
bobcr

As far as I know my mother was his only sibling and her name was may evelyn usher
lily8

The will of Aaron Usher:

Lily
lily8

I am starting to think Aaron and Jemima were Edgar's grandparents as in this census Jemima is 42 making her 46 at Edgars birth not out of the question though.

Jemima Usher

Age in 1911:

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1869

Relation to Head:
Wife

Birth Place:
Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish:
Bootle cum Linacre

County/Island:
Lancashire

England

Street Address:
246 Rimrose Road Bootle

Marital Status:
Married

Aaron Usher 59
Jemima Usher 42
Ethel Usher 27
Florence Usher 21
Lily
bobcr

My mother was married at st andrews litherland on 1st jan 1944 and she was 32 and aaron ( deceased ) is listed as her father on her marriage certificate.
lily8

Hi again Bob did some checking on the Arthur Ernest Usher who died 1934.
A transcript of his will below same address and wife Jane, so there must be some family connection

Lily
lily8

Getting there slowly Bob it looks very likely that Arthur Ernest Usher is the Son of Aaron and his first wife as this would tend to show from 1900ish

Arthur E Usher

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1876

Relation to Head:
Son

Father:
Aaron Usher

Mother:
Elizabeth H Usher

Birth Place:
Downend, Gloucestershire, England

Aaron Usher 49
Elizabeth H Usher 52
Charlotte M Usher 26
Arthur E Usher 25
Edith Usher 22
Ethel M Usher 16
Florence Usher 11
Lily
lily8

!0 years later I think Arthur is working as a stonemason in North Wales and there is a marriage registered there ::

Usher, Arthur E

Registration district: [?]Pwllheli

County:Caernarvonshire

Year of registration:1911

Quarter of registration:Apr-May-Jun

Spouse's last nameNot available before 1912

Volume no: [?]11B

Page no: [?]729

JONES, Jane
Lily
lily8

bobcr wrote:My mother was married at st andrews litherland on 1st jan 1944 and she was 32 and aaron ( deceased ) is listed as her father on her marriage certificate.
Hi Bob yes I understand that just trying to make some sense of Edgar,

The other genies may find another birth in 1916/1917 but I could only come up with this after following it up in North Wales.

Arthur Ernest and Jane appear to have had two children registered in PWllheli Nrth Wales first Arthur to sadly died the same year 1912 and an Edgar Usher mothers maiden name Jones ref Pwllheli 11B 655. 1914.

This maybe something or nothing, have to go out now will check back tomorrow.
Lily
bobcr

Thanks for your help and great detecctive work its looking like edgar wasnt my mothers brother but actually her nephew maybe he was brought up with her as her brother because we always thought of him as her brother. Still not sure why she said he was a bachelor when he died and yet there seems to be a will for him stating he had a widow jane, possibly a mistake and they meant his mother jane ??
lily8

Later, I looked at the will of Edgar and his effects etc were left to Jane Usher widow, I am not 100% sure but I think the terminology in those days was too put spinster, wife, etc and as such would assume this may have been the widowed wife of Arthur rather than a widow of Edgars as I could not locate a marriage as yet.
Lily
lily8

Hi Bob that is the way I read it, the other Genies may come up with info on this. They are all very good and very willing to help anyone, My guess for what it is worth is perhaps they all lived together at some stage and the two children Edgar and your mum were raised as siblings and considered themselves as such. No matter, you have every right to feel very proud of Edgar and his sacrifice over Germany.

Lest we forget.
Lily
Thommos sister

Hi in the will for Edgar it doesn't state she was his wife. It states Jane Usher widow. I've seen wills where estate was left to e.g Mary Ann Smith widow who was actually their sister etc.
Will go and read some more.
1938 Directory Mrs Jemima Usher 23 Markfield Rd Lpool 20.
So she is the head of the family as the time of Kelly's inventory.

T.S
Thommos sister

Hi Lily, Ethel 27 & Flo 21 are in 1911 census. Jemima not really much older than them. I agree their mother was Elizabeth H 42 bn Rochester Kent in 1891 census.
She died in Tox Park 56yrs in 1904.
52 in 1901 dghtr Charlotte was born in Fleetwood 26, Arthur jr & Edith bn in Gloucs, the 2 girls as above bn Lpool.
Interesting post!!

T.S
Thommos sister

1881 Aaron 29 stonemason bn Trowbridge Wilts, Elz 32 bn Rochester, George H 7 Charlotte 6 both bn Fleetwood, Arthur E and Emily Grace bn Downend Gloucs, Edith 2 born Bristol.
16 Grenville Place, Barton Regis Clifton.
1871 Settle Yorkshire, never seen this before, pages of people living at Newhouses including Aaron 14 right birth place, lodger home mason is what it says. Before these new houses start I can read Bridge End. I wonder what this was all about??
Jemima is unmarried in 1901 in Litherland if needed

T.S
glossybonce

Hi Bobcr

Great research from Lily and Tina, so it seems that Edgar was the son of Arthur Ernest and Jane Usher, grandson of Aaron Usher who later married Jemima and had just one child together May Evelyn.
Here is the 1911 census it states Jemima and Aaron had been married 3 years as the marriage Lily found shows, his 2 daughters (your mothers half siblings) from his other marriage are listed as also living with him, what happened to them and two older children Charlotte and Edith.

Do you have any photograph's of the grave in Bootle with the details of who else is buried in the plot ?

Quite a few half siblings for your mum Bobcr, here they all are in 1891 that Tina found earlier.
Aaron Usher 39
Elizabeth H Usher 42
George H Usher 17 (his army papers have also survived and he married Selina Whittaker in 1895 and was also a stonemason according to his papers, on finding them in the 1911 census they also lived over and ran a tobacconist shop at 79 Rice Lane with 6 children)
Charlotte M Usher 16 (married in 1901 to Thomas Dove at St Mathew Bootle)
Arthur E Usher 15
Emily G Usher 14 (she married Robert Davison in 1900 in St Leonards Bootle, Arthur and Charlotte were witnesses)
Edith Usher 12 (married John Ernest Saunders in 1907 again in St Leonard, Arthur and Ethel are witnesses)
Ethel M Usher 6 (possible marriage to William Hey in Liverpool Registry office or RC Marriage 1912)
Florence Usher 1
Last edited by glossybonce on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

Some Great results Bob hear is a photo of rimrose road
jemimas shop a news agent was next door to the winny pub
the pub is on the end
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

morningside road is well gone so have no photos
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bobcr

I do have a pic of both edgars headstones but cant see how to put them in to the message.
Thanks for all this inofmation its really great to learn more about my family.
Bob[/img]
BOBHAMO

In 1962 there was a Mrs Jane Usher, Kingswood drive crosby
there are about 20 ushers in liverpool one on southport road bootle
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
glossybonce

bobcr wrote:I do have a pic of both edgars headstones but cant see how to put them in to the message.
Thanks for all this inofmation its really great to learn more about my family.
Bob[/img]
Here's some instructions on how to post photograph's hope this helps.

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=5707
bobcr

Thommos sister

There's a tree in Anc, ignore it. The Arthur Ernest listed is no relation, he was a southerner born, married in 1899. Cannot be our
Arthur. Message sent.
Good work Glossy.
Lovely photos, as usual Bob

T.S :)